The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 November 2018, 11:14 AM   #31
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Probably because the people who are not "fanatics" or are on TRF have seen pictures, billboards or a friend's watch and are going to ADs to have a look.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 11:17 AM   #32
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
We WIS want it to go our way, all the time. Tsk, tsk.

Back in the good old days, there was the popular theory on here that you go to the AD to try on the watch you wanted, and then go buy it for a better price at a gray. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that system was not going to stick around for long.

Well, times have changed and I doubt they're going back to the way they were. Oh, there's always the possibility of an economic disaster, and we can all get the watch we want at MSRP, or better yet, a discount...while we're standing in the soup line.

Barring the imminent collapse of the stock market, one salient fact remains about Rolex buying. Guys that don't have a previous history or relationship with the AD are behind the power curve. If you want to play the game, you probably want to get busy. There's a lot of guys ahead of you. Of course, there are always the usual VIP/Big Spender types, but not only that, there are the guys that have a relationship and a spending history with them that they want to take care of as well. You can come on here and complain about AD "tactics" or "bundling" all you want, but it is what it is, and they are going to give the nod to the guys that helped support them back when we all scoffed at the notion of buying a watch at MSRP.

So, what does it all mean if you want a BLRO? Despite all the threads to the contrary that you read on here about we don't like this or that about the watch, it's a hot watch. You're not going to get one unless you have a solid relationship with your AD, something extraordinarily lucky happens (or maybe both of these two things), or you pay a premium. Is that going to change in the foreseeable future? Doubt it. But all you guys who insist that it's going to be sitting around on the AD's shelf in a year or two, well, all I can say is you must have access to some information the rest of us just don't.
Should be a sticky Larry. Well said my friend
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 11:30 AM   #33
Car32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlinden View Post
They were Hotel Chocolate.

I’ll send him these ones next. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What if he’s more of a Doritos guy?
Car32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 08:14 PM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlinden View Post
They were Hotel Chocolate.

I’ll send him these ones next. Thank you.

Nice, they are my cousin's fav.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 09:04 PM   #35
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
i called my AD to ask for the BLRO SS Daytona and SkyD Blue. He asked me if I wanted 20 datejusts or 5 day day dates to fulfill my order.
In other words a grey seller?
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 10:21 PM   #36
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Lists are just that. In a conversation with my AD I was told that depending on the watch and who they call, many times they will go deep into a list before they get a buyer. This is not the case with SS Daytona's, BLRO's and the Batman or Hulk. They also know who the real buyers are and typically they get the first call.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 11:06 PM   #37
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I have little hope TBH. I called my AD the minute the watch was announced at BW2018. Couldn't get through as he was swamped with phone calls for more than an hour. He put me on the list eventually "with tens of people before me" and warning me 'it would take two or three years at least'. I have little purchase history, just one watch last year (SD43). He said he never witnessed so much interest, not even for the ceramic steel Daytona. He was baffled, especially considering jubilee bracelets have never been a strong seller, "no none wanted them" with the first steel Pepsi. I'm not holding my breath.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 11:18 PM   #38
juktagt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
My AD list is closed. They got 2 BLRO’s this year so far.

The list for the Subs are also closed.
Old 23 November 2018, 02:59 AM   #39
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Back in the good old days, there was the popular theory on here that you go to the AD to try on the watch you wanted, and then go buy it for a better price at a gray.
Unfortunately that popular theory is still relevant today for most main stream watch brands apart from the obvious ones such as Rolex, Patex and a few other select models from AP etc.

EG I've never had a Cartier Santos, I quite fancy one.

However this is easily obtainable from many grays brand new for 1k under MSRP.

And this is after Richemont bought back $500m worth of Cartier from their dealers over the last 2 years to control the rot.
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 04:14 AM   #40
Jcy90
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & SUB
Tell AD you’ll only buy a DD @ retail if they include a BLRO in the sale watch how fast they produce one.
Jcy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 05:01 AM   #41
christopheran
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO Diver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcy90 View Post
Tell AD you’ll only buy a DD @ retail if they include a BLRO in the sale watch how fast they produce one.
I agree with this sentiment. Once you start buying PM watches the hot SS models start to appear. I personally rather pay a slight premium from a TS once prices for the BLRO settle down, over buying something I don’t want.
christopheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 01:07 PM   #42
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

AD flat out told me to buy a PM (pay for play) to secure a Daytona or Pepsi. He said SS Daytona was easier to source than Pepsi

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 02:27 PM   #43
ROLMARINER
Banned

Watch: 500C, BLRO
Quote:
Back in the good old days, there was the popular theory on here that you go to the AD to try on the watch you wanted, and then go buy it for a better price at a gray.
Well, I went to an AD to try on the WG BLRO and two days later had the SS BLRO on my wrist and it was at a better price at a grey.

Ok, LOL, not the same thing but sort of. Needed to see that red/blue bezel to make sure it wasn't pink/purple (it wasn't).
ROLMARINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 03:18 PM   #44
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Just adding my experience.

I moved to a new city in Jan this year. My local AD said in March that I can get a BLNR in 8 months and Daytona will take longer. With a Rolex PM or JLC Perpetual Calendar steel (I showed interest in the watch) buy, he could get the BLNR for me in 2 months and Daytona in 2 years. I said, no thank you.

After that, I got a Sub date from the same AD in June hoping to start a relationship. Recently, I enquired again about the BLNR, Daytona, or BLRO. The owner said that I have to buy another easily obtainable model (read Rolex PM) to be added to his favored list.

I just purchased a Lange 1 from an out of state AD last week. That AD also happened to carry Rolex. I asked if by purchasing the Lange, I could get on their waitlist for the Daytona or BLRO (I didn’t ask for BLNR thinking they will think of my as a greedy flipper, also hoping that my local AD can get me the BLNR as it is apparently easiest to get). The salesperson said that White Daytona (2-3 years) and BLRO (4-5 years) will take time. However, the black Daytona has a shorter waitlist and they can make it happen for me. Now I don’t know how long will it take or will they come through on their promise but it seems black Daytona is easier to get than the white Daytona or BLRO if you have a purchase history.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2018, 07:23 PM   #45
Phudu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600,BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
i called my AD to ask for the BLRO SS Daytona and SkyD Blue. He asked me if I wanted 20 datejusts or 5 day day dates to fulfill my order.

That is common practice at Joseph & Anthony AD here in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
Phudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 12:04 AM   #46
marcotagudelo
"TRF" Member

if a BLNR is "rare" i dont see the BLRO stock hitting the shelves any time soon.
marcotagudelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 12:41 AM   #47
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
The analysis in this thread is so flawed.

1. What if your only local AD is a corporate entity with numerous store? Mayors in the SE US for example. How do you develop a relationship there? It's like having a close relationship with Apple.

2. I don't need or want a close relationship with my AD any more so than with my auto mechanic, dry cleaner or barber. Cordial yes, but a relationship? Give me a break, Some heavy hitters here who spend a small fortune on watches can enjoy that luxury, 99% of the public can't. If I am going to pony up 10k or more for a SS watch, just sell me the watch. No song and dance, no BS. No obscene bundling requirement.

3. For AD's to have a complete absence of SS models is horrendous. I cannot fathom how this elevates the brand. Shelves are bare, salespeople look shell-shocked. This shortage is IMHO 100% intentionally created by Rolex purposefully.

4. Rolex are a dinosaur when it comes to inventory control. This is 2018 and there exist numerous ways to prevent pieces from going out the back door to Greys. They (Rolex) implement but a few such as sticker removal, a total joke. Am I wrong? If I am wrong, who has ALL the SS inventory these days.

This entire mess is in large part attributable to Rolex adhering to a 100 year old business model that will die in the age of online internet sales. It is changing retail's very nature and even the great and mighty Rolex is not immune from disaster if they don't change with the times. It's the internet stupid.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 12:59 AM   #48
GK-
"TRF" Member

BLRO Waitlists Getting Longer

I found the BLRO and Daytona much easier to get from my AD than several Patek pieces I’ve been waiting on for what seems like forever. I don’t see the trend of popular watches being hard to obtain changing anytime soon. It is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GK- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 01:54 AM   #49
shortsqueeze
2024 Pledge Member

In my opinion, Rolex has too much prestige to fail. They have a sustainable advantage as their appeal crosses generations, cultures, and geographies. They create an aspiration to own, so powerful and appeals to self-motivating factors. They are mostly insulated against missteps that could prove fatal to other brands, including what's happening today with the stainless models whether intentional or otherwise. No company is immune to a cyclical or dare I say secular downturn, but it's not as if they go away.

As to having a relationship with an AD, I agree, some of these short-sighted tactics are silly, but to each their own. However, some of us have connectivity to our jewelers that is for the long game, not because there's this or that we are looking for, but because a merchant/client relationship built on trust and mutual respect IS something to value.
shortsqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 02:21 AM   #50
ROLMARINER
Banned

Watch: 500C, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post

3. For AD's to have a complete absence of SS models is horrendous. I cannot fathom how this elevates the brand. Shelves are bare, salespeople look shell-shocked. This shortage is IMHO 100% intentionally created by Rolex purposefully.
Disagree completely. This shortage isn't a shortage, it's just tremendous demand for sport models from enthusiasts who have been with the brand for decades or new arrivals seeing all the bling from influencers on Instagram.

Rolex is making the same 1M watches they've always made. They are just getting gobbled up by a social media feeding frenzy.
ROLMARINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2018, 04:53 AM   #51
Zed82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
The analysis in this thread is so flawed.

1. What if your only local AD is a corporate entity with numerous store? Mayors in the SE US for example. How do you develop a relationship there? It's like having a close relationship with Apple.

2. I don't need or want a close relationship with my AD any more so than with my auto mechanic, dry cleaner or barber. Cordial yes, but a relationship? Give me a break, Some heavy hitters here who spend a small fortune on watches can enjoy that luxury, 99% of the public can't. If I am going to pony up 10k or more for a SS watch, just sell me the watch. No song and dance, no BS. No obscene bundling requirement.

4. Rolex are a dinosaur when it comes to inventory control. This is 2018 and there exist numerous ways to prevent pieces from going out the back door to Greys. They (Rolex) implement but a few such as sticker removal, a total joke. Am I wrong? If I am wrong, who has ALL the SS inventory these days.

This entire mess is in large part attributable to Rolex adhering to a 100 year old business model that will die in the age of online internet sales. It is changing retail's very nature and even the great and mighty Rolex is not immune from disaster if they don't change with the times. It's the internet stupid.
Don´t hold your breath.
Old 24 November 2018, 07:58 AM   #52
Dlong
Banned

Watch: Black sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTockChuck View Post
Too bad the Rolex market has come to this. A real downer for those seeking their first Rolex. I'm not a fan of offering gifts or any level of servitude to an AD. If the deal can't be done in a mutually respectful way, then it shouldn't happen imho. Once the financial markets have their inevitable protracted downturn, the tables will be turned on such luxury goods. Anyways, that being said, I'm on a waiting list and probably 5 years out, but that's okay. In the meantime there are so many other wonderful things and activities to enjoy. Cheers!
Look at the market today. we are officially 10% down, which is a correction.
Dlong is offline   Reply With Quote