The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 November 2018, 12:40 AM   #1
ALF61
"TRF" Member

BLRO Waitlists Getting Longer

Three ADs I consulted regarding the BLRO have told me that their buying interest has actually increased after the watches were released vs 6 months ago. Can anyone else confirm this ? Call your ADs and ask ?
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:28 AM   #2
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
ADs here (Vancouver) have not been taking waitlist candidates for months, so hard to tell.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:32 AM   #3
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
The AD's I frequent all mentioned increased interest since its release. Most aren't doing a waitlists, and are insinuating that the best way to get one is to buy a few PM watches.
Old 22 November 2018, 01:43 AM   #4
Bulldog21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/BLRO/SkyD
My AD tells me, most of the calls are still for the SS Daytona then the SS Blue SD, and then the BLRO.
Bulldog21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 01:58 AM   #5
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Mostly all ADs I have visited their BLRO lists are closed along with the Sky-D, Daytona, Subs etc. (not looking for myself, trying to help a fellow TRF member out to get on a list for the BLRO)

Now, is this true, not sure. The watches might be saved for big spenders or AD favorite clients.
stylinleems is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 02:14 AM   #6
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

AD's are probably saving it for their preferred clients during the Holiday season. They won't release these out to anyone who don't have any purchase history, and even then, depending on the AD, it depends on how significant that purchase history is.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 03:39 AM   #7
mwlinden
"TRF" Member

Last I spoke to my AD he said there is still very much interest in the BLRO.

Here is my situation:

- I’m a first time buyer from this AD.
- I called the AD the morning that the steel Pepsi GMT was announced in Basel this year.
- I currently do not live in the same city as this AD, I used to until recently.
- I said I’d be willing to do anything to get this watch.
- The AD asked me to leave a 10% deposit in order to qualify real interests
- I wired the deposit immediately and was led to believe I was one of the top-3 on the list.
- Fast forward a few months and I haven’t heard anything.
- I call the AD when Rolex announced the increase in their retails prices (about a month ago) and to offer an increase of my deposit by the same amount the retail price increased.
- The AD told me that they haven’t received much inventory but they expect to receive significant supply at the end of this year. No indication of where I am “on the list” despite me trying to find out. AD didn’t ask for me to increase my deposit.
- As I can’t visit the AD and sales rep, I’ve sent him some chocolates and a nice message in hopes of conveying my motivation of getting this watch.
- Chocolates were delivered a few days ago but haven’t received a response yet.

Do you guys think there’s anything else I can be doing to help my situation? I explain to the sales rep that I’m not trying to flip and that I'm happy for them to keep the box/papers whatever they need to get comfortable.

Many thanks in advance for your help!
mwlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 04:11 AM   #8
ALF61
"TRF" Member

One of those three ADs consulted told me that the first one went right into his wrist and had not gotten more. I have the feeling that lately inflows of BLROs have been steady but not abundant, but the interest for the watch is also growing. Judging from the grey market, was 22K a marketing tactic ? they seem to have stabilized around 17-18.5K depending on whether the watches are stickered or not.
Old 22 November 2018, 04:13 AM   #9
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i called my AD to ask for the BLRO SS Daytona and SkyD Blue. He asked me if I wanted 20 datejusts or 5 day day dates to fulfill my order.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:26 AM   #10
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
i called my AD to ask for the BLRO SS Daytona and SkyD Blue. He asked me if I wanted 20 datejusts or 5 day day dates to fulfill my order.

what a nice guy he must be
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:38 AM   #11
ALF61
"TRF" Member

It looks as if BLROs are MSRP are just close to a falacy. Fact is that a few ADs have secretly fed the BLRO to greys, placing a value on the watch twice the MSRP. Fact is ADs are pairing or conditioning the sale to acquiring other PMs or big number of DJs. Which in turn means that other clients or gray dealers are also doing that. Again, placing additional value on the watch. Fact is not nearly enough of them are being whipped out to meet demand.

Has anybody thought where price would be if the BLRO behaved just like a commodity market ? a particular stock ? Well, it probably is we just don´t see it that way.

So in reality the watch is worth more than 18K.
Old 22 November 2018, 05:44 AM   #12
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I did text my AD when the watch was announced and his reply implied that I should not hold my breath. However, he did remember me when the BLNR became available, and I just bought a WG Daytona from him, so I have faith that he'll remember me again. But I'm still not holding my breath.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:50 AM   #13
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
The list at my AD is one person shorter. Myth busted!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 05:59 AM   #14
shortsqueeze
2024 Pledge Member

With regard to the ADs I have talked to, some are just putting them in the case and it's luck of the draw. Others are offering to people they know, but are not tethering the opportunity to purchase to some other sale such as a PM. It comes down to relationships and trust, they just want these watches to go to good homes where they will be enjoyed and not flipped and they are doing the best they can to make that happen. Of note, none of the ADs I've talked to are doing waitlists.
shortsqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 06:11 AM   #15
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog21 View Post
My AD tells me, most of the calls are still for the SS Daytona then the SS Blue SD, and then the BLRO.

Yep, my AD says Daytona is still no.1 with BLRO being no.2. That said, the list was closed within 24hrs if Basel release, and a guy came in asking to be added whilst I was in there collecting mine! So frustrating for AD’s, turning away customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 06:15 AM   #16
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

My AD is now bundling the Pepsi, tough luck for those still on the waiting list. They’ll continue to do so until it stops selling, then they’ll start calling the wait list folks.

Most of the regulars have all received one by now, so these are all relatively new customers.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 06:20 AM   #17
mwlinden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
My AD is now bundling the Pepsi, tough luck for those still on the waiting list. They’ll continue to do so until it stops selling, then they’ll start calling the wait list folks.

Most of the regulars have all received one by now, so these are all relatively new customers.

What are they bundling it with ?

Old 22 November 2018, 06:25 AM   #18
TimingsEverything
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I gave up on a BLRO and got a Daytona! I figured I didn't really need another GMT II, and especially not one at 2x MSRP.
"Every Rolex is made for greatness. The GMT-Master, introduced in 1955, was developed in collaboration with Pan Am to meet the needs of their international pilots. The GMT-Master II has proven to be even more invaluable as it features a rotatable 24-hour graduated bezel that allows those who travel the world to read three different time zones." Rolex.com
TimingsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 06:35 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlinden View Post

Here is my situation:

- I called the AD the morning that the steel Pepsi GMT was announced in Basel this year.
- I currently do not live in the same city as this AD, I used to until recently.
- I wired the deposit immediately and was led to believe I was one of the top-3 on the list.
- I call the AD when Rolex announced the increase in their retails prices (about a month ago) and to offer an increase of my deposit by the same amount the retail price increased.
- The AD told me that they haven’t received much inventory but they expect to receive significant supply at the end of this year. No indication of where I am “on the list” despite me trying to find out. AD didn’t ask for me to increase my deposit.
- As I can’t visit the AD and sales rep, I’ve sent him some chocolates and a nice message in hopes of conveying my motivation of getting this watch.

Do you guys think there’s anything else I can be doing to help my situation? I explain to the sales rep that I’m not trying to flip and that I'm happy for them to keep the box/papers whatever they need to get comfortable.

Which ones?

You need the best of British like these to make a dent.

https://www.highlandchocolatier.com/...olates-c-4-p-1
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 06:37 AM   #20
mwlinden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Which ones?

You need the best of British like these to make a dent.

https://www.highlandchocolatier.com/

They were Hotel Chocolate.

I’ll send him these ones next. Thank you.

Old 22 November 2018, 07:00 AM   #21
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Too bad the Rolex market has come to this. A real downer for those seeking their first Rolex. I'm not a fan of offering gifts or any level of servitude to an AD. If the deal can't be done in a mutually respectful way, then it shouldn't happen imho. Once the financial markets have their inevitable protracted downturn, the tables will be turned on such luxury goods. Anyways, that being said, I'm on a waiting list and probably 5 years out, but that's okay. In the meantime there are so many other wonderful things and activities to enjoy. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 07:15 AM   #22
mwlinden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTockChuck View Post
Too bad the Rolex market has come to this. A real downer for those seeking their first Rolex. I'm not a fan of offering gifts or any level of servitude to an AD. If the deal can't be done in a mutually respectful way, then it shouldn't happen imho. Once the financial markets have their inevitable protracted downturn, the tables will be turned on such luxury goods. Anyways, that being said, I'm on a waiting list and probably 5 years out, but that's okay. In the meantime there are so many other wonderful things and activities to enjoy. Cheers!

Amen to that. I’m a lowly first time buyer who just freaking loves watches. Right now it seems impossible to break into the reality of getting the BLRO from an AD, despite all of my efforts.

You’re absolutely. I should probably delete Tapatalk and go outside and do other things in life. When the financial markets get a major correction I might have a shot.....

Old 22 November 2018, 08:02 AM   #23
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
We WIS want it to go our way, all the time. Tsk, tsk.

Back in the good old days, there was the popular theory on here that you go to the AD to try on the watch you wanted, and then go buy it for a better price at a gray. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that system was not going to stick around for long.

Well, times have changed and I doubt they're going back to the way they were. Oh, there's always the possibility of an economic disaster, and we can all get the watch we want at MSRP, or better yet, a discount...while we're standing in the soup line.

Barring the imminent collapse of the stock market, one salient fact remains about Rolex buying. Guys that don't have a previous history or relationship with the AD are behind the power curve. If you want to play the game, you probably want to get busy. There's a lot of guys ahead of you. Of course, there are always the usual VIP/Big Spender types, but not only that, there are the guys that have a relationship and a spending history with them that they want to take care of as well. You can come on here and complain about AD "tactics" or "bundling" all you want, but it is what it is, and they are going to give the nod to the guys that helped support them back when we all scoffed at the notion of buying a watch at MSRP.

So, what does it all mean if you want a BLRO? Despite all the threads to the contrary that you read on here about we don't like this or that about the watch, it's a hot watch. You're not going to get one unless you have a solid relationship with your AD, something extraordinarily lucky happens (or maybe both of these two things), or you pay a premium. Is that going to change in the foreseeable future? Doubt it. But all you guys who insist that it's going to be sitting around on the AD's shelf in a year or two, well, all I can say is you must have access to some information the rest of us just don't.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 09:27 AM   #24
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Prices on the grey market are slowly but steadily dropping. This strongly suggests that overall interest is lower. Lists might be longer because people are putting their names on more quickly than watches are sold at retail, but that's more likely a factor of watches skipping lists than increased interest in the watch.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 09:39 AM   #25
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post

Back in the good old days, there was the popular theory on here that you go to the AD to try on the watch you wanted, and then go buy it for a better price at a gray. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that system was not going to stick around for long.

Well, times have changed and I doubt they're going back to the way they were. Oh, there's always the possibility of an economic disaster, and we can all get the watch we want at MSRP, or better yet, a discount...while we're standing in the soup line.

Barring the imminent collapse of the stock market, one salient fact remains about Rolex buying. Guys that don't have a previous history or relationship with the AD are behind the power curve. If you want to play the game, you probably want to get busy. There's a lot of guys ahead of you. Of course, there are always the usual VIP/Big Spender types, but not only that, there are the guys that have a relationship and a spending history with them that they want to take care of as well. You can come on here and complain about AD "tactics" or "bundling" all you want, but it is what it is, and they are going to give the nod to the guys that helped support them back when we all scoffed at the notion of buying a watch at MSRP.

So, what does it all mean if you want a BLRO? Despite all the threads to the contrary that you read on here about we don't like this or that about the watch, it's a hot watch. You're not going to get one unless you have a solid relationship with your AD, something extraordinarily lucky happens (or maybe both of these two things), or you pay a premium. Is that going to change in the foreseeable future? Doubt it. But all you guys who insist that it's going to be sitting around on the AD's shelf in a year or two, well, all I can say is you must have access to some information the rest of us just don't.

These are valid points especially on trying a watch at AD and buying it at the grey for a lower price. I know that has been a practice by my watch friends in the past who laughed at me for being so stupid to buy at the AD for SRP. I bear no resentments on those remarks. It’s my choice and other than the current conventional wisdom of buying from the ADs to establish purchase history, it is just that I felt more comfortable buying from them. The only time I dealt with the grey was an opportunity to upgrade a previously expensive piece for an expensive grail watch. Yes, we do make those first mistake of buying an expensive not knowing there’s an even grail watch out there. In that instance, I was happy with that decision.

One last point, what irked me now though is my watch friends are now buying big time from the ADs and bumping me off from the AD’s waiting list for their big purchases. I wish that these ADs would not look at the amount but also consider the customer’s longevity and loyalty particularly when buying from the AD is still not a fashion statement. I guess money talks.

For the BLRO SS, I was not sold at the onset. But having handled a piece in our small gtg with watch friends, it is indeed one nice piece that can supplant the BLNR and the LN model for its great look and the jubilee bracelet which is not prone to scratches. My AD said that I am next on the list. Keeping my finger crossed.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 10:14 AM   #26
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post

So many valid points here....

10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 10:26 AM   #27
ForSure5120
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klenboy View Post
AD's are probably saving it for their preferred clients during the Holiday season. They won't release these out to anyone who don't have any purchase history, and even then, depending on the AD, it depends on how significant that purchase history is.

This.

ForSure5120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 10:28 AM   #28
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTockChuck View Post
Agree, and well-reasoned way to keep the current landscape in perspective.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 10:28 AM   #29
wlchuccc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlinden View Post

Here is my situation:

I am sorry to hear that. But I don't think you are anywhere near to the top of the list if your AD is WOS. I was told by them early this year that they usually accept deposits for any new Basel models well before the start of Basel. It may sound a bit weird but this is my experience. I visited a "new" WOS AD as a walkin customer in Feb/March, and the salesperson has asked me to put down 1k deposit for any 2018 basel watches (after she realised that I am one of WOS branch manager's client). So I would assume they do the same to many of their repeated clients.
wlchuccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2018, 10:48 AM   #30
cajerseyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me find "the one"
BLRO Waitlists Getting Longer

So my cleaning lady said that the Rolex reps are not taking any more orders several of the most sought after after sports models. You know the ones:

BLRO/BLNR
DAYTONA
SUB DATE AND NO DATE