The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 28 August 2022, 01:28 PM   #1
sudo_root
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
Sellers disconnected from reality

Given how massive of a gulf the trade value vs for sale value is not just here but even just clearly visible on Moda and other sources why are sellers still trying to prop up a falling market? It’d be wiser to cut losses and discount now then slowly bleed out like they’re doing.
sudo_root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 01:38 PM   #2
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

guessing the big greys like david didn't have huge inventories of the same watches while the smaller/mid size youtube greys were hoarding every royal oak and 5711 they could find, so they're now dumping all of them to cut their losses
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 01:52 PM   #3
AbeFroman
Banned

Take a look at Producer Michael’s recent video with Wrist Aficionado.

It honestly seems a lot of these dealers don’t understand the implications of what’s going on elsewhere in the financial market. When Mike asked them, they couldn’t really provide a clear answer of what caused the current market correction and said they think prices have bottomed out. I’d imagine a good amount of them purchased inventory at or near peak pricing.

I personally think the rest of the year prices will continue to decline and remain heavily depressed. I think most are trying to avoid panic because once they start undercutting each other to shed inventory that’s when it snowballs.
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 01:53 PM   #4
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudo_root View Post
Given how massive of a gulf the trade value vs for sale value is not just here but even just clearly visible on Moda and other sources why are sellers still trying to prop up a falling market? It’d be wiser to cut losses and discount now then slowly bleed out like they’re doing.
Because many of the watches for sale were purchased over the last six months. Dealers payed high prices for them, so they can't drop the prices too low and still make a profit.

The only desperate sellers are individuals that need to sell. Dealers don't need to sell. When they start buying at lower prices, then they can list them at those lower prices.
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 01:55 PM   #5
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Does it matter? Are you trying to buy something?

I want the secondary market to go back to what it was 5 years ago. Great place to get a deal. No need to market watch until then, it just adds to the whole hype.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 02:13 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:

Nobody can say for certain but the sellers that are mostly 3+R (VC PP AP Rolex) have the cash flows and earnings to wait it out.

It’s the smaller casual flippers (not rich, poors) who would want to cut their losses if they overextended on the hype.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 02:20 PM   #7
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
It’d be wiser to cut losses and discount now then slowly bleed out like they’re doing.
Hypothetical question. Let's pretend you are a reseller and bought four panda Daytonas at the peak a few months ago, $50k each, assuming prices would keep increasing and you'd make a decent return. What would you do with those four watches today knowing it's a $15-$20k loss per?
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 02:31 PM   #8
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Sellers disconnected from reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
Hypothetical question. Let's pretend you are a reseller and bought four panda Daytonas at the peak a few months ago, $50k each, assuming prices would keep increasing and you'd make a decent return. What would you do with those four watches today knowing it's a $15-$20k loss per?

That didn't happen though. Their offers were always 25-30% under list and they did not raise their offers during that early 2022 run up. Two of the resellers offered me high 20s on a 2020 mint white Daytona at the time that listings were $39-42K used. I'd bet the big names never paid above $31k for a mint steel Daytona.
Old 28 August 2022, 03:09 PM   #9
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Wah, why won’t somebody sell me a watch for cheap…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 03:13 PM   #10
afjag256
"TRF" Member

Any chance that some of this inventory was bought with PPP loans?
afjag256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 03:30 PM   #11
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Cast a line, drag a lure...
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 11:32 PM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
It’d be wiser to cut losses and discount now then slowly bleed out like they’re doing.
According to whom?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 11:44 PM   #13
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
That didn't happen though. Their offers were always 25-30% under list and they did not raise their offers during that early 2022 run up. Two of the resellers offered me high 20s on a 2020 mint white Daytona at the time that listings were $39-42K used. I'd bet the big names never paid above $31k for a mint steel Daytona.
Exactly, mid 30's max. Perhaps some eager amateur greys paid more but that's an anomaly.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2022, 11:47 PM   #14
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Nobody can say for certain but the sellers that are mostly 3+R (VC PP AP Rolex) have the cash flows and earnings to wait it out.

It’s the smaller casual flippers (not rich, poors) who would want to cut their losses if they overextended on the hype.
The question and unknown is "wait it out". That inventory can get rich and heavy fast. Even for the deeper pocketed greys. At what point to they throw their hands up?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2022, 03:36 AM   #15
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Wah, why won’t somebody sell me a watch for cheap…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wah, why, on the brink of a world recession, won’t people keep paying rip-off prices to middle-men?

And why are people complaining about inflation - paying higher prices for stuff is far better than paying low prices
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote