The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 August 2017, 02:24 AM   #1
spiker
"TRF" Member

Retirement Gift

Hello, I've been on the fence on whether I should buy a 5712/1a for my retirement gift or if I should purchase another Rolex (I have 2 Daytona's, SS & TT). I did have 4 but I sold 2.
So now I have decided to purchase a 5712.
My question is where should I purchase it? I know what the retail value is but I don't want to give them my entire 401k! I keep hearing about Goldberg but they seem very expensive and I have also seen that the prices seem to be a little inflated. I would appreciate any thoughts on this subject. Thanks.
spiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 03:15 AM   #2
song2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5110P
There was one on the for sale section a few days ago, brand new 2017. Think it was 35-36k.
song2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 03:57 AM   #3
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Stunning watch, but very hard to source for the retail price. If I may suggest a very nice piece at a lower cost and less difficult to find, I would look into the AP 15202ST. In any case, good luck hunting and congrats in advance for your soon-to-be new watch.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 04:48 AM   #4
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
AP skeleton bro ftw

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 04:51 AM   #5
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
Hello, I've been on the fence on whether I should buy a 5712/1a for my retirement gift or if I should purchase another Rolex (I have 2 Daytona's, SS & TT). I did have 4 but I sold 2.
My question is where should I purchase it? I know what the retail value is but I don't want to give them my entire 401k! I keep hearing about Goldberg but they seem very expensive and I have also seen that the prices seem to be a little inflated. I would appreciate any thoughts on this subject. Thanks.
How strange. I retired today, and I have a 5712.

I strongly recommend it, it's certainly in my top three favourite watches.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 04:55 AM   #6
spiker
"TRF" Member

Hollister, Did you purchase from an AD? Or grey market? Did you have to wait long?
Any info would be great - thanks.
Congrats on your retirement. Mine starts Aug. 31!
Old 2 August 2017, 05:06 AM   #7
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Hollister, Did you purchase from an AD? Or grey market? Did you have to wait long?
Any info would be great - thanks.
Congrats on your retirement. Mine starts Aug. 31!
I bought new from AD in 2010. They didn't seem so scarce back then. What happened was that I went to a PP event at the AD's invitation, and tried on a rose gold 5712 on a leather strap, loved it, and gave them a ring the next week, they happened to have a steel 5712 in stock which I liked even more than the gold one. The sickness gripped me, so impulse purchase (sort of).

Congrats in advance to you, too. Retiring is slightly weird. Good luck with your search, but I think it's a solid investment (for a watch).

P.S. here it is with two friends:

Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 05:08 AM   #8
teb1013
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your retirement. Last year when I bought my retirement gift (whatever happened to the days when an employer would do it. Or a loved one- there's a son on this forum who is buying a beautiful watch for his father, sadly not mine) I was only able to get a pedestrian DateJust (and companion Tudor Black Bay). You're in a different ballpark than I was, the 5712/1a is an amazing watch, although I have read that some prefer the 5711 which is, thinner, or so they say. Whatever your choice, please post pictures. Once again congratulations, enjoy your retirement!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
teb1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 04:18 AM   #9
spiker
"TRF" Member

Ha! Not expecting anything from the company or my sons. They actually want me to save more! Anyway I've been placed on a waiting list and they said that they may be getting one soon. But I have a question for anyone in the know because every time I purchase something that I like it seems within a few short months something newer (of the same model) gets released. So, does anyone know if the 5712/1A is getting an upgrade soon?
Old 3 August 2017, 04:27 AM   #10
Magwitch
Banned

Congrats on the retirement. Mine is 1 Sept. Already got a DJ41 for my retirement watch!
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 04:33 AM   #11
spiker
"TRF" Member

Congrats. I'm guessing HR is starting to write up the paperwork. They called me this morning and asked if I was leaving Sept. 1st - when I said August 30th they hung up real quick. I guess they didn't realize I've been part-time for the last year and only working Mon - Weds!
Old 3 August 2017, 10:06 AM   #12
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I think any nautilus would make for a great retirememt gift. Congrats!
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2017, 03:44 AM   #13
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Watch: 519LN | 64A
Go 5712!
HauteHorlogerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 06:14 AM   #14
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

I would call ADs and try to get one with my name on the papers.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2017, 07:38 AM   #15
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would go to a local AD and put your name down 5712 should only take a few months to source. Plus you get to pay retail and have your name on the certificate.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 02:24 AM   #16
spiker
"TRF" Member

Well I finally did it. I placed my order for a 5712! I had to give a deposit but they said I'm 2nd on the list. Hopefully it won't be long before it comes in.

I am a little curious what every one does with these mechanical time pieces. If you have a few or more do you have a winder or do you just trade off each every other day? I'll have 2 Daytonas & 1 Patek to wind!
Old 8 August 2017, 03:17 AM   #17
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I finally did it. I placed my order for a 5712! I had to give a deposit but they said I'm 2nd on the list. Hopefully it won't be long before it comes in.

I am a little curious what every one does with these mechanical time pieces. If you have a few or more do you have a winder or do you just trade off each every other day? I'll have 2 Daytonas & 1 Patek to wind!
When you pick up your 5712, push your advisor for a free watch winder. Trust me he/she will give you one. You just handed them $33k, they can give you a $200 watch winder for free or even two of them. Also ask if they have a Patek wallet, Patek baseball hat, and other swag goodies.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 05:29 AM   #18
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
I would call ADs and try to get one with my name on the papers.
Agreed. Just wait. There are posts all the time the wait was not as long as predicted.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 05:33 AM   #19
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

Quality winders are very cheap now these days. You need one which can be set to wind counter clockwise. Make sure the winder does not turn faster than a moderate turn as the PP winding box does. If it turns real fast it will wear out the rotor.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 07:56 AM   #20
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 12:09 PM   #21
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Congrats on the retirement and the watch!! Both great accomplishments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 12:33 PM   #22
soundserious
"TRF" Member

The Patek, never a bad choice for a "forever" watch.
Old 8 August 2017, 01:24 PM   #23
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Quality winders are very cheap now these days. You need one which can be set to wind counter clockwise. Make sure the winder does not turn faster than a moderate turn as the PP winding box does. If it turns real fast it will wear out the rotor.
I am sure modern winders are factory programmed to 900 TPD on average and those that allow the TPD to be programmed don't cater for "faster" . 800 TPD counter clockwise should be fine. Otherwise it's 1600 if both ways.
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 04:46 AM   #24
spiker
"TRF" Member

The "GIFT" is in!

Well I got the call that my gift came in. Went to the AD and there it was - I can't believe how well it fit. She kept talking to me and all I could do was stare at the watch. It's gorgeous - there must be something wrong with me. Now just have to wait a little longer till it gets shipped. Here she is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch2.JPG (235.1 KB, 582 views)
Old 8 September 2017, 05:24 AM   #25
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Congrats! That wasn't long at all. When a down payment is made things normally work out much better. There are countless people on many waiting lists just waiting for the first call and some of those don't even have the money readily available.

Wear it in great health!
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 05:42 AM   #26
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Looks great on you! Congrats and enjoy your retirement.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 06:03 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

congrats. Love the 5712
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 06:38 AM   #28
Sam Philip
Banned

Congrats!
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 07:02 AM   #29
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202
Congratulations that was super quick! Wear it in good health
dr.ns23 is offline   Reply With Quote