The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 September 2017, 12:42 AM   #61
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
The nice thing about dealer allocation that with at least 6 watches per AD you know exactly how little your AD thinks of you when you don't get one!!!
Yea, I think my feelings will be hurt.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 12:45 AM   #62
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
I think there is 60 some odd ADs in the us if I'm not mistaken. Average of 10 per AD. Some may get 15. Others 5. Doubt if anyone is getting 30-50.
I've heard some ADs are getting really small numbers.... So I believe some of the bigger ones (Wempe NY another example) are getting more than 10. And this makes sense frankly. Some big ADs in big markets have more big customers while small ADs in small markets have less. If this was all based off of lists ADs submitted to Patek and Patek decided which customers where are getting what, it seems to me that Tiffany/Wempe (just as an example) are getting more than 10.

But all speculation of course...
Old 22 September 2017, 12:45 AM   #63
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Wish that were true my friend. The reality is certain ADs are getting big numbers (wouldn't be surprised if Tiffany NYC gets 30-50) while others are getting 1-2 or 0....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean a dealer might say "sorry we can't allocate one as we only got 1 or 2"!!! Hiding the other 5 in the safe
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 12:46 AM   #64
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You mean a dealer might say "sorry we can't allocate one as we only got 1 or 2"!!! Hiding the other 5 in the safe
Or a dealer will say, sorry we can't give you one as we are only getting 10 while they are getting 35...
Old 22 September 2017, 12:48 AM   #65
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Or a dealer will say, sorry we can't give you one as we are only getting 10 while they are getting 35...
Then you should really be pissed if you don't make the 10!!!
Old 22 September 2017, 12:49 AM   #66
Socal to az
Banned

Oh very possible no doubt but they had to submit customer names to patek for the certificate. Easily forged I know but I'm hoping Patek would not allow that.

Frankly this is going to become a thing for patterson- limited edition watches to drive frenzy. I predict 2-3 limited exclusive double secret probation watches at Basel.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 12:49 AM   #67
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, sure assuming you are a sufficiently significant retail customer.
Old 22 September 2017, 12:58 AM   #68
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Yes, sure assuming you are a sufficiently significant retail customer.
Well the 5522 was released for hype...I did a post about it after meeting some of the Rhone people last week...of course vokunevwill determine how many are allocated but I don't for a moment think it's 1 or 2 per dealer!! Humour me and jets say 84 outlets! That's 6 per outlet and 36 left over. In fact let's say 5 per outlet tgat leaves 130 left over!!! Anyway if it makes people feel better I am all for it...next thing people will say dealers are using this to push other models as a teaser!!?
Old 22 September 2017, 01:01 AM   #69
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well the 5522 was released for hype...I did a post about it after meeting some of the Rhone people last week...of course vokunevwill determine how many are allocated but I don't for a moment think it's 1 or 2 per dealer!! Humour me and jets say 84 outlets! That's 6 per outlet and 36 left over. In fact let's say 5 per outlet tgat leaves 130 left over!!! Anyway if it makes people feel better I am all for it...next thing people will say dealers are using this to push other models as a teaser!!?
Please share Karl. I didn't see your other post.

I think the exhibition in NY has been quite successful at boosting interest in this brand that we all so enjoy. Even on the vintage side a few vintage dealers whom I know believe it is bringing interest to vintage patek...

PS: As to how the watches are being allocated, I suppose it's anyone's guess but based on the information I have so far, I believe bigger ADs in bigger markets are getting many more 5522s than smaller ADs in smaller markets. To distribute 5522s evenly to all ADs in the U.S. would be just silly.

If 100 5522s go to NY and another 100 (or more) go to California, you can see how the number changes quickly.
Old 22 September 2017, 02:54 AM   #70
KarlS
Banned

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...79#post7913379

Also remember TS stated the American market is its top market with half the sales ...maybe someone can dig that up!! That means 30000 watches a year ha ha ....he is just playing to the audience...the estimate has always been 15-20%....but when u put on a show you need to push it...of course NYE was a success...this is PR at its best...London was the same and I bet Hong Kong will be as well...I am all for increasing brand awareness

Apologies for typos in previous thread was standing in a queue in an airport
Old 22 September 2017, 04:18 AM   #71
drmovement
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex mk2 red sub
Quote:
I used to work with a large AD and have bought quite a few watches from them (5 pateks and many others). I went to the exhibition, expressed interest in the watch and they never even called me. That is when I called the other AD I worked with a lot in the past and they were able to pull through. What is interesting about the whole thing is I def have done much more with the first AD. Oh well live and learn.
drmovement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 04:18 AM   #72
Updyke
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
I think there is 60 some odd ADs in the us if I'm not mistaken. Average of 10 per AD. Some may get 15. Others 5. Doubt if anyone is getting 30-50.
Socal to Az, my understanding is that there are 87 PP AD's here in the US. if I remember this came from Patek when we were in NY at the Show.
Updyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 04:21 AM   #73
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Updyke View Post
Socal to Az, my understanding is that there are 87 PP AD's here in the US. if I remember this came from Patek when we were in NY at the Show.

you are correct. I was mistaken on my number.
Old 22 September 2017, 05:21 AM   #74
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...79#post7913379

Also remember TS stated the American market is its top market with half the sales ...maybe someone can dig that up!! That means 30000 watches a year ha ha ....he is just playing to the audience...the estimate has always been 15-20%....but when u put on a show you need to push it...of course NYE was a success...this is PR at its best...London was the same and I bet Hong Kong will be as well...I am all for increasing brand awareness

Apologies for typos in previous thread was standing in a queue in an airport
Good for Patek for putting on the marketing machine and doing it in a classy yet very effective way. In the US it has been effective in particular in the sporty watch / entry level category but good to get the interest going.

5975! Can't believe you bring that one up Not legible and automatic when it should have been manual wind! But hey to each his own. 5522 is super popular because it's an entry level sports watch (priced almost the same as the most affordable men's watch in the entire line up!), it's steel and it is LIMITED. Is it worth more than retail? Who knows, who cares frankly. It's to be enjoyed for what it is and I think many folks are losing sight of that.
Old 22 September 2017, 05:30 AM   #75
KarlS
Banned

^ some of us have moved on from stating a chrono has to be manual!! Vertical clutch versus a movement that's designed to be stared at. Exact reason not interested in a 5270...but we all have to agree....beauty is in the eye if the beholder and we all have different tastes
Old 22 September 2017, 06:13 AM   #76
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
^ some of us have moved on from stating a chrono has to be manual!! Vertical clutch versus a movement that's designed to be stared at. Exact reason not interested in a 5270...but we all have to agree....beauty is in the eye if the beholder and we all have different tastes
What? I am getting ready to trade my Voutilainen for a 5522, even trade, I thought you were too
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 12:01 PM   #77
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
What? I am getting ready to trade my Voutilainen for a 5522, even trade, I thought you were too

Good trade but you won't get the bust... :)

Old 22 September 2017, 02:18 PM   #78
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I think it safe to say you won't lose cash on the 5522 but I dare say you will bleed significantly with the KV
Old 22 September 2017, 03:23 PM   #79
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
I think it safe to say you won't lose cash on the 5522 but I dare say you will bleed significantly with the KV
No even trade, won't loose anything kidding of course, no way this one is going, too special

Quote:
Good trade but you won't get the bust... :)

Yeah great trade, a 94k CHF watch for a 20k one, that's what I call a bargain))) but PP hadn't released this marvel when I ordered the KV, if only I had known
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 05:22 AM   #80
drmovement
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex mk2 red sub
Well here it is, I am very excited to own this piece. I received it sealed, but I broke the seal right there and then. I am home now staring at the simplicity of this piece. It feels great on the wrist. The strap is firm, but I am sure it will be great after even just 1 week of wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170923_151319.jpg (199.7 KB, 199 views)
drmovement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 05:29 AM   #81
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmovement View Post
Well here it is, I am very excited to own this piece. I received it sealed, but I broke the seal right there and then. I am home now staring at the simplicity of this piece. It feels great on the wrist. The strap is firm, but I am sure it will be great after even just 1 week of wear.
Congrats, another happy owner. Looks fantastic.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 05:44 AM   #82
Socal to az
Banned

It's a stunning piece! Loving mine. Congrats.

Old 24 September 2017, 07:00 AM   #83
mike_bronco
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Rolex
Hi all. I'll admit when the 5522(a) first came to my attention, as a vintage enthusiast I thought it was too large. After all, my grail is a vintage 565 measuring a modest 35mm. However, due to the the simplicity, dial, and automatic movement, I have warmed to the 5522(a) considerably. I got a call from my AD who said they might get an extra one if I was interested. If I were to buy it out of the need to make a quick decision or lose it, would I be foolish not to grab it, even if I later changed my mind?
PS--wrist shots are great. Wonder if anyone could post (or has posted) a pic with a 5522 next to a sport Rolex (for a size comparison).
Thanks!
mike_bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 07:02 AM   #84
Socal to az
Banned

Dude- just buy it. If you don't like it- you can resell it in 4 minutes. Not sure you are gonna get 50k in the sale but you will get your money back. Buy it. Don't think twice. I would not hesitate for a second. It's the safest purchase you will make.
Old 24 September 2017, 07:13 AM   #85
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bronco View Post
Hi all. I'll admit when the 5522(a) first came to my attention, as a vintage enthusiast I thought it was too large. After all, my grail is a vintage 565 measuring a modest 35mm. However, due to the the simplicity, dial, and automatic movement, I have warmed to the 5522(a) considerably. I got a call from my AD who said they might get an extra one if I was interested. If I were to buy it out of the need to make a quick decision or lose it, would I be foolish not to grab it, even if I later changed my mind?
PS--wrist shots are great. Wonder if anyone could post (or has posted) a pic with a 5522 next to a sport Rolex (for a size comparison).
Thanks!
Here it is with the Nautalis, Aquanaut, Gondolo and Calatravas

025 by , on Flickr
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 07:15 AM   #86
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
@drmovement and @Socal to az congrats! Looking great! I still haven't worn mine yet, but plan on doing so this coming week.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 07:22 AM   #87
mike_bronco
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Rolex
Nice shot! Thanks a lot @MoosicPA, and that's obviously an amazing collection.

And thanks @Socal to az!
mike_bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 01:44 PM   #88
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Awesome pics, gents. I just got the call today that mine is at the AD but I won't be able to get it until March. Please keep up the photos!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 01:54 PM   #89
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Awesome pics, gents. I just got the call today that mine is at the AD but I won't be able to get it until March. Please keep up the photos!
Congrats and Get home safe
Old 28 September 2017, 08:53 PM   #90
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Congrats and Get home safe
Thanks! So my wife got to do the unboxing herself and let me watch over video chat. I don't know how I'm going to be able to wait 5 more months...
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote