The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 October 2016, 01:17 AM   #1
Albeezeelee
"TRF" Member

Yellow gold Daytona green dial vs yellow black sub

Title explains it all, I'm getting a wedding gift and this will be my first Rolex. I'm stuck between the yellow gold Daytona with green dial which I think has iconic colors and is just so dam beautiful, vs a more versatile sub in yellow gold with black face. The price difference can be around 10k but I'm willing to put in the 10 k to get the green dial. I need others opinions on if the value is going to be better on one or the other, both will be worn sparingly and I had a steel sub in the pipeline for my next daily Rolex. If I get the gold sub, probably no reason to get the steel sub but then again, I would want a daily Rolex that's going to last and hold its value. Do you think the green face will break even faster due to its rarity or is the rarity of finding it in stores due to the lack of demand? I have seen a gold and black sub in almost every watch store I have visited and think I could come across one for 28k while the Daytona I'm being told no discount at 37 after taxes and what not. HELP!!!
Albeezeelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 01:38 AM   #2
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
I would buy from a trusted seller on here and get the sub brand new for around 23 not sure on daytaona price but prob around 26-28k.both are gold so if paying full retail you will take a big hit if selling later.I would buy here and get the one you like more if money is no issue.Gold sub will hold up better in the long run resale value wise.
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 01:43 AM   #3
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Boy that is a hard one I love the Sub But the Daytona with the green dial is to die for
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 02:16 AM   #4
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you're open to the blue dial on the sub, I'd go for that one. That being said, I always go for the sports watch.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 02:24 AM   #5
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Its a wedding gift...bar a divorce, I expect it's one you'll be keeping for life.

Therefore, screw value, and go for the one that appeals to you.

After all, it seems you have more than one and this doesn't need to be an every day, fit every occasion watch.

Get what you prefer, and congrats on the upcoming marriage

And for what its worth, my preference would be for the green dial Daytona...and no discount would be a no-go for me. No way that thing isn't discounted in the near future, pretty much any PM Rolex can be had for a discount. Shop around.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 02:49 AM   #6
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Think really really hard about whether you can live without the glidelock. It makes a huge difference on PM models imo.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 04:24 AM   #7
Albeezeelee
"TRF" Member

Hmmm I was not aware you could buy a watch on these forums... with that in mind, is it a bad idea to buy from any watch store? Aren't most of these people selling watching online or via forum used watches?
Old 19 October 2016, 04:53 AM   #8
Albeezeelee
"TRF" Member

I didn't know you could buy a Rolex here, won't most be used? I've searched the forums and I can't find any advice on how or where to buy a Rolex especially a expensive one like the gold ones. Any advise or links? Also I'm interested in this hulk version of the sub.. maybe I can get a gold sub with black and a green sub later.. or just go with my old plan of gold green Daytona and a steel sub with black face ( no need for two greens ). Orrrr I can get a green hulk sub, and wait for a steel Daytona with the black ceramic bezel that everyone's raving about ahhhhhh I don't know
Old 19 October 2016, 06:30 AM   #9
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I'll be honest. I wouldn't be comfortable accepting a gift of that much value. Get the stainless sub or the LVc as a gift and then buy the PM model of your choice with your own money.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 07:51 AM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I'll be honest. I wouldn't be comfortable accepting a gift of that much value. Get the stainless sub or the LVc as a gift and then buy the PM model of your choice with your own money.
Larry makes a good point, I'd rather buy the PM myself. If you go for a black Subc then the green Daytona is a great pairing but do not pay retail, you want to hunt around and get at least 20% off, do lots of research in the Classified and Who's Who section, most watches are still in stickers and unworn.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 07:54 AM   #11
Ritch99
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD and others
Sub all the way.
Old 19 October 2016, 08:05 AM   #12
Otto

Watch: Daytona and others
Daytona ... but I am a Daytona guy...
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 08:10 AM   #13
LightOnAHill
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD lchdp
daytona, and congrats on all the congrattables!
LightOnAHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 09:10 AM   #14
Albeezeelee
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the congrats, and I know most of you are thinking what a huge present, but I got her a huge ring so thats the reason for that. I see that paying 37 for the Green Daytona is outta the question now (that guy was trying to bamboozle me) and I see some places offering 30 and I believe I can possibly get it as low as 28 If im lucky. As for the Gold Sub, If lucky Im seeing maybe 23k? I dont know what a PM model stands for... Nor a LVc im guessing Subc means the sub Ceramic? Well thanks for the info so far guys. If anyone has any info on places to get a good deal, please help me out :) thanks
Old 19 October 2016, 09:38 AM   #15
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
If you are going gold, I would vote for the blue sub (white or yellow gold) that is a true Icon, or the YG Daytona with panda face. Can't go wrong with either.

I'm not so keen on gold and black Subs myself, but you are the one who has to wear it.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 10:59 AM   #16
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Welcome to the forum. You are a little green being the ears, which is not a bad thing, but when spending that much cash, you better spend a lot of time here to find out many opinions, features and where to buy. Firstly, PM means " precious metal" , like gold and platinum. A very very reputable seller here with his own website is DavidSW who is by far one of the good guys here. Do a lot of research here and in no time you will have figured it out.....and become addicted like all of us!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 11:03 AM   #17
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Daytona ... but I am a Daytona guy...
Yup!!
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 11:13 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Welcome to the forum. You are a little green being the ears, which is not a bad thing, but when spending that much cash, you better spend a lot of time here to find out many opinions, features and where to buy. Firstly, PM means " precious metal" , like gold and platinum. A very very reputable seller here with his own website is DavidSW who is by far one of the good guys here. Do a lot of research here and in no time you will have figured it out.....and become addicted like all of us!
Yes David and Takuya are 2 trusteds for example but research as much as possible.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 12:14 PM   #19
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Would never ever pay $37k for the YG Daytona. Since the dial is new there's a relative premium, but non-green YG Daytonas can be had new for $26-28k range.

Cheapest YG Sub I've seen new is $25k. If you can get it for $23k new then either buy it or let us know where .

I'd go either YG Sub and then try for steel Daytona later, or get YG Daytona and either get black Sub or Seadweller.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote