The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 April 2016, 02:19 PM   #31
Valkyrie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1655 View Post
you can run with that argument but when the time comes, it's going to be considerably more expensive than a basic periodic service/overhaul.
Note that I began my response to your post with "If you are correct." You asserted that the cost of service following a 10-12 year interval would be an additional 20-25% which I think you would agree is not "considerably more expensive than a basic periodic service/overhaul" especially when you are doubling the time between service. The post from Jefferyasher further supports this conclusion.

In 39 years of Rolex ownership, my personal experience is that there is no need for service until the watch no longer keeps acceptable time (for me about every 10 years) and when serviced I have not paid more than the standard service cost. YMMV
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 01:52 AM   #32
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Since you are in Colorado, call Right Time in Denver or Highlands Ranch. They have a couple of Rolex trained techs and a parts accounts, if need be. They did a service on my Datejust (first in 25 years) and it came to $675 with new stem and seals.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2016, 05:15 AM   #33
ref1655
Banned

Watch: 1655/MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
In 39 years of Rolex ownership, my personal experience is that there is no need for service until the watch no longer keeps acceptable time (for me about every 10 years) and when serviced I have not paid more than the standard service cost. YMMV
you are one of the fortunate ones. another factor to consider...continuous use vs intermittent. if the watch is worn/used everyday, chances are certain internal parts are going to wear/break down (along with the lubrication) faster than if the watch is worn sporadically....in which case a periodic cleaning/lubrication usually does the trick.
ref1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2016, 08:42 AM   #34
Jefferyasher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzW View Post
Was it James Free jewelers or Richter Phillips?
James Free
Jefferyasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2016, 08:44 AM   #35
michael067
Banned

Watch: TT DJ 16233
I always go thru my AD and let them send it for service.
michael067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2016, 09:20 AM   #36
rod727
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferyasher View Post
James Free
That doesn't surprise me......I tried to buy my 116610 From them with cash in hand....I asked if I could Get a break for not using a credit card...." We don't typically discount " I said fine and walked out with $9k still in my pocket ....went home and called DavidSW
rod727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 10:17 PM   #37
bob-e
"TRF" Member

Watch: GSAR,Omega 3572.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael067 View Post
I always go thru my AD and let them send it for service.
Michael (or others), did you purchase at the AD? Does it cost more to go through your AD? I'd rather let my AD send it on, but I didn't purchase it there and I don't want to pay an upcharge unless it's not too crazy.
bob-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 03:28 PM   #38
flightz71
"TRF" Member

Looking to get my 16610 serviced after 7 years of daily use. It's gone swimming in 3 oceans around the world :)

Can anyone recommend a place in the SF bay area to get this done? Or is the RSC in Dallas my best bet? Thx!
flightz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 03:46 PM   #39
michael067
Banned

Watch: TT DJ 16233
Take it to AD and let them send it. 6-7 bills
michael067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 04:25 PM   #40
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-dweller View Post
Standard Rolex Service cost is $600 + $50 for return shipping + any parts ($88 for a SS crown on my 16610, as an example) + tax for any parts.

RSC Dallas is excellent.
Oh you have to pay for the return shipping too?

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 05:54 PM   #41
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref1655 View Post
you can run with that argument but when the time comes, it's going to be considerably more expensive than a basic periodic service/overhaul.

with so many OCD Rolex owners out there, that's a safe Rolex servicing statement to make because they're going to get continuous/ongoing repair requests regardless of any factory recommended service timeframes and if you wait until the watch is no longer functioning properly, they're gonna hit you with a considerably larger servicing bill...to cover replacement parts no longer up to spec or worn by years of neglect/lubrication.

been there/done that...either way, they've got you by the balls. it's kind of like neglecting basic interval service on a trusty automobile (i.e. volvo, honda, toyota et al). you can let things slide for awhile but eventually you're gonna pay the piper.
It's not quite like a car, because Rolex does a complete tear down of the "engine" no matter how long the service interval.

Over a lifetime of ownership, I think the metrics usually work out in favor of waiting until failure.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2017, 09:12 PM   #42
RPB
"TRF" Member

Watch: V Serial 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbender View Post
Probably 7-800. Drop it off at an ad and let them ship it for you.
I know I am in the UK, however this is the best option I feel as you don't have to worry about expensive shipping costs etc.
I used an AD for this last December. I don't want the stress of worrying about my watch getting there if I was to post it.

Wish list - BLRO; TT GMT.
RPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2017, 12:28 AM   #43
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Local AD in Cincy quoted $1100 for a full service for my 14060m....nearly TWICE the price of a RSC. There is a major up barge at this AD!
The reason why an AD dealer cannot do the same exact service for the same price as a RSC is because Rolex replaces a lot of internal parts for no charge. If a dealer has to replace anything you will be fully charged for every part. If you ship the Rolex through an AD you will also pay more too. There is mark up in the dealer getting involved.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 02:05 AM   #44
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
James Free
$1100 for a normal service is ridiculous. I've taken each of my Omegas and Rolexes to Matt at Richter & Phillips, and aside from being a fellow watch aficionado who is a pleasure to speak with, he quoted a very reasonable price for a service. I'm not sure how James Free can possibly justify charging that much...
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 02:11 PM   #45
tfjordan
"TRF" Member

I'm considering having a GMT Master II I just bought serviced, but it freaks me out to send it to a large operation that misunderstands or ignores my instructions. I normally don't want my case polished at all. My big issue is it's a "Swiss" only dial and I'm desperately afraid they'll replace it with a service dial.

I have a single guy in North Dakota who follows instructions and never polishes anything unless I ask. I also prefer a light dial cleaning. I'm wondering if a large repair shop will adhere to instructions. Thoughts?
Omega Speedmaster 145.014
Tudor BB Blue
tfjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 02:37 PM   #46
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Should be no more than $800.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 11:01 AM   #47
NeilC65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax21 View Post
The AD I deal with does in house service but is still more expensive then the RSC Toronto, The advantage of taking it to a local authorized dealer with a in-house service center is you get your watch back faster usually.

I put my 14060M in for service at the RSC in Toronto in January. Was quoted 6-8 weeks and they were right on time. They did a real nice job, complete service plus sapphire and bezel replacement. Really looks awesome. Total cost was $1,200CAD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NeilC65 is offline   Reply With Quote