The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 October 2016, 09:23 AM   #1
weeone
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PO 37.5
Rolex Yachtmaster 116622 (blue) or Explorer II 16570 (polar)?

Deciding between the Rolex Yachtmaster 116622 (blue dial) and an older Explorer II 16570 (polar).

I am a lady with 6" wrists. I was THIS close to purchasing the 116622 and ultimately chickened out because of the price (which in itself was good, I've just never spent anywhere near this amount on a watch).

I went back to doing research and found the Explorer II 16570 (specifically for the same 40mm size). The price is basically half of what I was looking at for the Yachtmaster (both pre-owned).

I understand that they are very different models. It will be a "daily driver" for me, worn at work and play. I plan to wear it kayaking, hiking, to the beach, etc. I dress very casually, typically a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal. Which do you think would suit me better?

Thank you in advance!
weeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 09:33 AM   #2
bobabreath
"TRF" Member

Between those two choices, the polar Explorer. I think white dials look great on women.

However, if you are going to consider the Yachtmaster, I suggest you try the new dark rhodium one in 37mm. It would be a nice fit for a 6 inch wrist.
bobabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 09:41 AM   #3
weeone
"TRF" Member

Funny, I currently wear a 41mm Victorinox Ladies Chrono Classic (mother of pearl but looks white) so I certainly have a soft spot for white dials.

I saw the rhodium in person and while I love the blue of the hands, the blue dial in the 40mm just does it for me. I should try the 37mm on though, you're right, the fit alone may sell me.

Thank you for sharing!
Old 18 October 2016, 10:13 AM   #4
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Exp II gets my vote.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 10:47 AM   #5
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I'm a YM blue dial fan. This is a very comfortable watch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2384.jpg (98.0 KB, 359 views)
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 10:58 AM   #6
weeone
"TRF" Member

So far two votes for the Exp II and one for the YM. Ah, such a beauty. Dat blue though. Thanks for sharing!
Old 18 October 2016, 11:53 AM   #7
B.currency
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15400
I went with the Yacht-Master
B.currency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 12:14 PM   #8
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I own both but it's an odd comparison.. So different in too many ways.... I'd say go with your gut.... I'd I had to pick one it'd be the ym personally... Beautiful but might be too flashy if you're looking at the 16570 polar.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 12:18 PM   #9
markseattle
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR-Daytona C
I like the blue dialed YM best, beautiful watch!

Mark
markseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 12:36 PM   #10
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeRookie View Post
I'm a YM blue dial fan. This is a very comfortable watch!
Looks sharp.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 12:47 PM   #11
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Looks sharp.
Looks great!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 01:00 PM   #12
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Welcome to TRF. Since you already own a white dial, the YM gets my vote. If you like the YM and the lighter dials, try a YM with a platinum dial. It's a win-win.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (108.6 KB, 300 views)
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 01:11 PM   #13
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
YM blue gets my vote.
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 01:54 PM   #14
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I'd go Explorer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 02:24 PM   #15
KeithP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK 126900/SM 300M
If you can get comfortable with the price- Yacht-Master. Why? It sounds like the one you really want, thats why. It's cheaper in the long run to get what is really speaking to you. This is coming from a huge fan of the Explorer II, which would suit your needs as described perfectly. Really you couldn't go wrong either way.
KeithP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 02:37 PM   #16
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
I vote for the YM Blue...it's a prettier watch, has the perfect amount of bling with the PCL's, will go better with both casual and business attire, and will fit you better with the curved lugs.
DocHorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 03:00 PM   #17
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Blue YM by a mile
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 03:15 PM   #18
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
For pure looks, I think the blue YM looks great on a lady. The blue also with the PCLs allows it to dress up and down quite nice. But, is it $3K better???

From a practical standpoint, the polar ExII in regards to features and value for money wins hands down, IMO.

Once you get one, it will be hard to not look for more... a pre-ceramic Sub date can be had for mid $5K. That being said, the money you save getting the ExII will get you over half way to a Sub. Which is the same size as the ExII you are looking for, and a great compliment to the polar.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 03:18 PM   #19
Onx
"TRF" Member

Blue YM fo sure! Explorer II can only be worn as a casual watch. May not even suit business casual attire in my opinion.

However I think most women prefer daytonas. You should try some white dialed daytona. They wear smaller which suits women more.
Onx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 03:19 PM   #20
Onx
"TRF" Member

Btw don't buy the lesser favorite because of price. Take more time and save a bit more to get what you like. It really saves you from regrets.
Onx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 03:27 PM   #21
jack81
"TRF" Member

If you buy right pre owned, you would not lose value in the future. Dont worry so much about the price as it retain the value. Enjoy whichever you choose.
jack81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 03:45 PM   #22
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

EXP II Polar gets my vote but the watch is a bit big on me :(
wuyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 03:50 PM   #23
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

YM blue dial is such a beautiful watch. More versatile being able to dress it up or down.
Old 18 October 2016, 08:08 PM   #24
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Madam

Asking men about watch fashion is a mega mistake.

Both watches are super good and super reliable and are as good as each other and will last a lifetime.

Chose the one that you feel suits you the best from a visual point of view.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 08:23 PM   #25
Eva123
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116333
Both watches are very nice, however, personally i prefer YM with Blue dial. But for 6' wrist both watches are really too big. If you say opposite, think whether you would put 3 sizes bigger shoes on you.... and then anwer will be clear. I can not understand people who are wearing things which do not suit to them. e.g. I would never wear too big suit or 34 mm watch on 8'1 wrist..... the same rules applied here.... 41 mm watch does not fit 6' wrist.

Sorry to disappoint you but you should look for watches that fit you well... maybe smaller YM, DJ... definitely not EXP II.
Eva123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 08:34 PM   #26
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva123 View Post
Both watches are very nice, however, personally i prefer YM with Blue dial. But for 6' wrist both watches are really too big. If you say opposite, think whether you would put 3 sizes bigger shoes on you.... and then anwer will be clear. I can not understand people who are wearing things which do not suit to them. e.g. I would never wear too big suit or 34 mm watch on 8'1 wrist..... the same rules applied here.... 41 mm watch does not fit 6' wrist.

Sorry to disappoint you but you should look for watches that fit you well... maybe smaller YM, DJ... definitely not EXP II.
Yes I totally concur.

I bought my wife a gold Rolex recently and I gave her complete freedom of choice. My only role was to present the credit card.

I was expecting her to chose a 26mm DJ and she opted for a 31mm instead.

She sometimes wears my 40mm Daytona which has an adjustable bracelet but she hardly ever wears it due to its size.

Men and women are different and have a totally different perspective on watches.

The problem with this forum is that "Fred" wears an Explorer 11 and loves it and will readily proclaim it the best watch in the world for everyone.

My favourite watch is the 39mm Explorer but I would be mad to advise my wife to buy one.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 09:35 PM   #27
shalako
"TRF" Member

Another vote for the YM Blue.
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 11:07 PM   #28
weeone
"TRF" Member

I really appreciate all of the replies, thank you!

While I keep going back and forth, I think sensu, KeithP, Onx, and jack81 really hit the nail on the head. While I think the Exp II is a beautiful watch that would suit me well, the YM was the first to catch my eye. Even though I can find the Exp II at roughly half the cost, in the long run I don't think I would be as satisfied (still yearning for the YM). Maybe, maybe not. I have a hard time making decisions, ha.

Rich Mickol, thank you for the welcome. I originally set out to see the platinum YM at my AD and once I saw the blue, it spoke to me. The platinum YM (and polar Exp II to be honest) probably suit me better but there's just something about the blue in person (IMO). Yours is beautiful!

wuyeah, have you tried the older Explorer II 16570? The newer Explorer II 216570 is 42mm, while the older is 40mm. With that said, I have not tried either on so the Exp II (even at 40mm) might wear bigger than I am assuming.

Eva123 and Mick P, I am asking anyone with knowledge of Rolex. :) I appreciate and welcome your opinions. I would look into something smaller but I'm used to wearing bigger dials (41mm and 42mm). I think this 40mm will fit even better. I understand that this "bigger watches on women" might just be a fad but I will wear what I enjoy. I've tried on the Yachtmaster and with the rounded lugs, that DocHorton pointed out, it fit me well (again, IMO).

Feel free to keep throwing out your thoughts and suggestions!
Old 19 October 2016, 12:09 AM   #29
weeone
"TRF" Member

I appreciate all of your replies!

As sensui, KeithP, Onx, and jack81 pointed out, I think I may be leaning towards the Yachtmaster. It was my first choice after all.

Rich Mick, I originally went into my AD to see the platinum YM. Once I saw the blue, I couldn't look back. While the platinum (and polar to be honest) probably suit me better, there's just something about the blue.

sensui, the YM being too flashy is one of my worries. As I said, I dress very laid-back, casual. I wonder if the YM will be out of place with jeans and a t-shirt (whereas the Explorer II would shine).

wuyeah, have you tried on the older 16570 version? The newer Explorer II 216570 is 42mm vs. 40mm with the 16570. With that said, I have not tried either on and the 40mm Exp II may wear too large for me.

Mick P and Eva123, I came to ask others with knowledge of Rolex. :) I appreciate your opinions. I tried on the Yachtmaster in person and thought it fit quite well. I am used to a 41mm or 42mm dial now (and they may be slightly too big, I will agree) but the 40mm works (IMO). Plus, as DocHorton pointed out, the curved lugs help. I know the whole "women wearing large watches" may just be a fad but I will wear what I enjoy.

Keep the suggestions and opinions coming!
Old 19 October 2016, 12:19 AM   #30
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
From your description of your activities and attire, I'm going to suggest the EXP2. I think it's going to work the best for both.

But, having said that, my usual rule of making a difficult watch decision is to pick the more expensive one...that way if you don't like your choice, then it's an easy flip to get what you want.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote