The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 May 2015, 09:04 PM   #31
wdin
"TRF" Member

WOW!!

Without macro shots I would have thought those words were plainly printed on the GS.

This is far from "cheap printing". I don't know the term for this printing, but it sure does look sandy-grainy kinda and definitely some depth and not flat.

I showed my brother these pics you shared of this SBGA105. He immediately asked for the price. Seemed that it's a limited edition watch. Stunning blue dial if im honest.
wdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2015, 10:36 PM   #32
nilfire77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdin View Post
WOW!!

Without macro shots I would have thought those words were plainly printed on the GS.

This is far from "cheap printing". I don't know the term for this printing, but it sure does look sandy-grainy kinda and definitely some depth and not flat.

I showed my brother these pics you shared of this SBGA105. He immediately asked for the price. Seemed that it's a limited edition watch. Stunning blue dial if im honest.
Now, back to your interest on a calatrava-styled GS. These really nostril-hair-visible macros should give you an idea on the SBGR061 dial quality:

Wordings on dial

Indice

Date Window
nilfire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2015, 11:40 PM   #33
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I know the reason I don't like Seiko has nothing to do with the quality of the watch but the implanted thoughts on my head

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 12:06 AM   #34
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I know the reason I don't like Seiko has nothing to do with the quality of the watch but the implanted thoughts on my head
Different strokes for different folks. And it may need some aggressive marketing on the GS side to remove those thoughts from you (and many others).
From what I've seen so far, I'm more than impressed with their quality and at their given price, worth considering.

I've huge respect for PP and am in no way belittling either brands. Both brands are great. I'm sure some owners would agree that these 2 brands could be in the same watch case/drawer/vault and live in harmony together. All the time giving the wearer full pleasure when they are rotated around and on the wrist.

Old 29 May 2015, 12:09 AM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Stunning macros all! Definitely could occupy my wrist any day!
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 12:16 AM   #36
wdin
"TRF" Member

Nil my friend, you are making my head spin from such shots you are sharing. The attention to detail is what keeps me at awe. The finishing... I'm lost for words.

Not many brands that exists out there where one would think of having a single macro shot taken of it.. But you've been bombarding me with so many, and there's still not one flaw that I could find.

Just amazing. Really is.
Old 29 May 2015, 12:54 AM   #37
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Great pictures here, thanks
Old 29 May 2015, 01:20 AM   #38
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
I don't own either, but like both.
GS snowflake dial is one of the best out there at any price point, in my opinion.

I think resale is the issue for me, even though I have never sold a watch, so I have no idea why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 01:41 AM   #39
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
I don't own either, but like both.
GS snowflake dial is one of the best out there at any price point, in my opinion.

I think resale is the issue for me, even though I have never sold a watch, so I have no idea why.
Perhaps a feeling of security should one needs to sell it at some point of time is keeping away some potential buyers from buying them?
Old 29 May 2015, 01:52 AM   #40
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Perhaps a feeling of security should one needs to sell it at some point of time is keeping away some potential buyers from buying them?

Perhaps. I never plan to sell, but who knows. But to those that appreciate the fine horology inside and the value that they represent I don't think it will stop them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 02:00 AM   #41
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Nilfire77, thanks the wonderful macro shots. I've always had respect for GS after doing a bit of research on the brand and reading previous posts. Your pics are a good reminder and confirmation of the GS quality. Will need to keep it on my short list for the next piece.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 06:03 PM   #42
nilfire77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nil my friend, you are making my head spin from such shots you are sharing. The attention to detail is what keeps me at awe. The finishing... I'm lost for words.

Not many brands that exists out there where one would think of having a single macro shot taken of it.. But you've been bombarding me with so many, and there's still not one flaw that I could find.

Just amazing. Really is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malarky_hk View Post
Nilfire77, thanks the wonderful macro shots. I've always had respect for GS after doing a bit of research on the brand and reading previous posts. Your pics are a good reminder and confirmation of the GS quality. Will need to keep it on my short list for the next piece.
You guys are welcome!

Here's another one that shows the perfectly cut and polished indices… I can’t even begin to say how this photo barely gives the quality of GS finishing some deserving justice…

You really need to look in person at the dial with a loupe to truly appreciate the sublime finishing…
Old 29 May 2015, 06:49 PM   #43
Bernie.H.
Banned

Nil, thank you for taking the time to produce these amazing macro shots. I actually own a GS, SBGR 061 (no Patak unfortunately) but have never seen close ups of the dial detail like that.
Bernie.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 07:14 PM   #44
nilfire77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie.H. View Post
Nil, thank you for taking the time to produce these amazing macro shots. I actually own a GS, SBGR 061 (no Patak unfortunately) but have never seen close ups of the dial detail like that.
Welcome pal! Now, I just hope some Dufour magic could be plucked from the Credor team and injected into the next generations of GS movements, say in a future 9S75 or a 9S95? That would put some serious competition on Patek and Lange...

http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2011/12/...-in-world.html
Old 29 May 2015, 07:45 PM   #45
deezed
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD
I have a 5167 and this snowflake
deezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2015, 08:25 PM   #46
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilfire77 View Post
You guys are welcome!

Here's another one that shows the perfectly cut and polished indices… I can’t even begin to say how this photo barely gives the quality of GS finishing some deserving justice…

You really need to look in person at the dial with a loupe to truly appreciate the sublime finishing…
When you say loupe, are you talking about a normal loupe or a sunglass-loupe? I may need the latter. That is some serious finishing! Almost mirror-like.
It won't be long before almost-all GS would be snatched up if you Nil, continue sharing such pics over here.. and soon the under-the-radar GS goes mainstream. And I shall blame you first
Old 29 May 2015, 08:45 PM   #47
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I have an SBGE021 and a couple PP watches. The GS is in my collection forever. It is a wonderful watch. The case shape and finishing, the dial work and it's accuracy (spring drive) are all amazing. I love my Patek Philippe watches as well. They are completely different from my GS. That said, they both live comfortably in the same collection.

Thanks for the really great macro shots of the dials. They make me want to do this now with my GS and PP watches. If I do I will post here.
Old 29 May 2015, 09:17 PM   #48
nilfire77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When you say loupe, are you talking about a normal loupe or a sunglass-loupe? I may need the latter. That is some serious finishing! Almost mirror-like.
It won't be long before almost-all GS would be snatched up if you Nil, continue sharing such pics over here.. and soon the under-the-radar GS goes mainstream. And I shall blame you first
Normal loupe would do the trick... Although I used a 30x one LOL..
Old 29 May 2015, 09:19 PM   #49
nilfire77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
I have an SBGE021 and a couple PP watches. The GS is in my collection forever. It is a wonderful watch. The case shape and finishing, the dial work and it's accuracy (spring drive) are all amazing. I love my Patek Philippe watches as well. They are completely different from my GS. That said, they both live comfortably in the same collection.

Thanks for the really great macro shots of the dials. They make me want to do this now with my GS and PP watches. If I do I will post here.
I would love love love to see some more Patek macro shots! Thinking of it just makes me dizzy...
Old 29 May 2015, 11:41 PM   #50
wdin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post

Ahh.... finally an owner's testimony and confirmation to what could have been 'just an opinion of mine' about these 2 brands sitting side-by-side..
We know now it is true.
Old 31 May 2015, 10:35 PM   #51
ralfcom
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
Just want to say I love Seiko. I am currently having my 20 year old Seiko automatic serviced, needless to say, at a fraction of what a Rolex or Patek would cost to have serviced.
ralfcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2015, 06:56 PM   #52
Locke88
"TRF" Member

I own 1 Patek and 1 GS - a 5296G, and a SBGW047. I came onto this thread late, but since you were asking about comparisons between a Calatrava and a similar GS, perhaps this comparison might do, since the SBGW047 is a 3-hander. I've included a side-by-side pic, and wrist shots.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Nilfire has already provided some truly amazing photos that illustrate the finishing of GS. Mine cannot compare! The Patek finishing is also quite amazing.

I honestly do not have the expertise to say which is better (and what does 'better' mean to each of us anyway?). Also, it is impossible to extrapolate from my humble 2 pieces what the breadth of PP Calatravas are , vs the breadth of Grand Seikos. For that, experts like SJX who have handled many watches (PP & GS) will probably provide better commentary.

What I can say is this:
1. They're both amazing watches in the metal. I love the unusual case shape of my GS in particular. For the Patek, the sector dial of the 5296G is what drew me to it, as I enjoy vintage watches too.

2. Both are very wearable, and quite understated.

3. They both appeal to me- the GS is cool, subtle, and more intellectually appealing. The Patek is a warmer sort of appeal, a more emotional tug. Either way, both brands are certainly worth considering in a collection.

Hope this helps!
Locke88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2015, 07:13 PM   #53
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Wow those two are perfect on you. Great taste
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2015, 09:17 PM   #54
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
When a Rolex vs Patek comparison is made nothing is wrong but with Grand Seiko it's absurd? Go to a GS dealer...
Who says not many on this forum, Patek lives at a different level to Rolex..... Rolex are great watches but are not finished at the level of Patek/ALS etc....
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2015, 01:35 AM   #55
wdin
"TRF" Member

Locke, thank you so much for your input and wristshots. That GS of yours certainly would need some warming up to (for me) due to the case shape.
And thank you for the link, WOW!
Old 3 June 2015, 01:10 AM   #56
nilfire77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke88 View Post
What I can say is this:
1. They're both amazing watches in the metal. I love the unusual case shape of my GS in particular. For the Patek, the sector dial of the 5296G is what drew me to it, as I enjoy vintage watches too.

3. They both appeal to me- the GS is cool, subtle, and more intellectually appealing. The Patek is a warmer sort of appeal, a more emotional tug. Either way, both brands are certainly worth considering in a collection.

Hope this helps!
Hey Locke, nice 5296G and SBGW047 you have there! *drools* I share the same sentiments as you regarding unusual/unique GS case shapes. Simply love those "fatty" lugs on the 57GS cases! It's just something that grows on me...
Old 4 June 2015, 08:38 AM   #57
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
I love the SBGW047, probably my favorite modern GS. Too bad it's a LE, and congrats on a such a great pair of watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke88 View Post
I own 1 Patek and 1 GS - a 5296G, and a SBGW047. I came onto this thread late, but since you were asking about comparisons between a Calatrava and a similar GS, perhaps this comparison might do, since the SBGW047 is a 3-hander. I've included a side-by-side pic, and wrist shots.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Nilfire has already provided some truly amazing photos that illustrate the finishing of GS. Mine cannot compare! The Patek finishing is also quite amazing.

I honestly do not have the expertise to say which is better (and what does 'better' mean to each of us anyway?). Also, it is impossible to extrapolate from my humble 2 pieces what the breadth of PP Calatravas are , vs the breadth of Grand Seikos. For that, experts like SJX who have handled many watches (PP & GS) will probably provide better commentary.

What I can say is this:

Hope this helps!
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2015, 11:18 PM   #58
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangercadre View Post
its absurd to even compare grand seiko with patek.
It's so sad some people just don't get it.
Put Patek or Rolex on a GS dial and they would fall all over it.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2015, 11:29 PM   #59
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
It's so sad some people just don't get it.
Put Patek or Rolex on a GS dial and they would fall all over it.
Actually I'm surprised that only one <insert your preferred insult here> showed up in this thread with such a great insight. Especially, as I've learned in the Open discussions forum here,

Quote:
Idiots are always quick to share their opinions.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2015, 01:01 AM   #60
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
PP5146p next to Grand Seiko SBGW040 130th Anniversary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150317_092444(0)-1.jpg (81.7 KB, 619 views)
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote