The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 October 2017, 09:41 PM   #31
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle13 View Post
See, I'm 21 and have wanted a Patek since I was roughly 16-17. I would settle for a nautilus, but I would love to get a grand complication before I die. My generation does want everything *NOW*. Hell, I love amazon prime, but thats for certain things, you have to be realistic with instant gratification.
I have been collecting Patek for years now and I still haven't bought a GC yet and I'm more than twice your age :)
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 10:34 PM   #32
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
If Patek wants to cater for the younger demographic, the most important thing of all is to make sure all ADs can offer 0% financing over a nice long term!
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 11:23 PM   #33
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by remz07twos View Post
Yea I’m going to have to disagree with this. As a millennial, all of my friends care about experiences more.
To be Zeitgeist precise, they care about photographing their experiences. The younger gens are now so ingrained with the idea that their phones must be used/checked every other minute and everything must be documented to be later photoshopped and flaunted. The Insta gen, led by the rich kids, have helped boost demand and hype for low and mid luxury goods like Rolexes. PP and RM will most probably be next thrust onto their radar but the financial jump will probably be too much for the vast majority, even if they have the Kardashian's backing (thankfully I don't think any of the girls wear any so maybe PP has already been saved). So much cheaper experiences like holidays, handbags, shoes, sneakers, belts and even dinners will still be most envied and demanded via Social media.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 11:30 PM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle13 View Post
See, I'm 21 and have wanted a Patek since I was roughly 16-17. I would settle for a nautilus, but I would love to get a grand complication before I die. My generation does want everything *NOW*. Hell, I love amazon prime, but thats for certain things, you have to be realistic with instant gratification.
It's easy to say that but every gen has had dramatic breakthroughs that have changed our wait times and expectations. Slow Dial up internet a few years ago would have most of us now rather choosing to lose a limb, and no remote controls for any of your devices would have us all hanging up a rope.
Old 15 October 2017, 12:25 AM   #35
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
If Patek wants to cater for the younger demographic, the most important thing of all is to make sure all ADs can offer 0% financing over a nice long term!
And put a battery in it
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 01:19 AM   #36
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It's easy to say that but every gen has had dramatic breakthroughs that have changed our wait times and expectations. Slow Dial up internet a few years ago would have most of us now rather choosing to lose a limb, and no remote controls for any of your devices would have us all hanging up a rope.
Even then I couldn't stand slow internet, started really using it when it became faster, you clicked on a page and had time to smoke a cigarette before the page was loaded, awful really. Though I must say I miss the good old times when there were no mobile phones, you came home listened to your answering machine and called back, and left a message to those not home, kind of hate being joignable 24/7, but I turn off the sound at night and often on vacation, doesn't mean I am not hooked to it in a way, we all are more or less, but miss the old days to be honest
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 03:00 AM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Even then I couldn't stand slow internet, started really using it when it became faster, you clicked on a page and had time to smoke a cigarette before the page was loaded, awful really. Though I must say I miss the good old times when there were no mobile phones, you came home listened to your answering machine and called back, and left a message to those not home, kind of hate being joignable 24/7, but I turn off the sound at night and often on vacation, doesn't mean I am not hooked to it in a way, we all are more or less, but miss the old days to be honest
I agree with the intrusive mobile, its too much and I'm mostly off the grid except for this forum. And I remember when me and my sister used to be our Dad's remote control. He would watch the same channel all afternoon and just wait for us to come home just so we could then change the channel for him. Only had three channels then as well, can you imagine!!!
Old 15 October 2017, 04:11 AM   #38
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To be Zeitgeist precise, they care about photographing their experiences. The younger gens are now so ingrained with the idea that their phones must be used/checked every other minute and everything must be documented to be later photoshopped and flaunted. The Insta gen, led by the rich kids, have helped boost demand and hype for low and mid luxury goods like Rolexes. PP and RM will most probably be next thrust onto their radar but the financial jump will probably be too much for the vast majority, even if they have the Kardashian's backing (thankfully I don't think any of the girls wear any so maybe PP has already been saved). So much cheaper experiences like holidays, handbags, shoes, sneakers, belts and even dinners will still be most envied and demanded via Social media.
The sentiment of photographing everything is completely false. The crazy rich kids who flaunt shit all over Instagram are not representitive of millenials at all.
remz07twos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 08:47 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The sentiment of photographing everything is completely false. The crazy rich kids who flaunt shit all over Instagram are not representitive of millenials at all.
Oh, get out of town, every single one of them takes endless numbers of selfies in one form or another to post on their social media or send to their friends, as long as they have some.
Old 15 October 2017, 08:52 AM   #40
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh, get out of town, every single one of them takes endless numbers of selfies in one form or another to post on their social media or send to their friends, as long as they have some.
Well, I don't do selfies. I've been to 77 countries in the last decade and out of tens of thousands of travel photos there are probably less than 30 pictures with me in them - I hate being photographed and don't like the selfie attitude. I also don't post on Facebook at all, don't use Snapchat and only occasionally post to Instagram when travelling.

But point taken. Lots of millenials only care about posting the photo that proves they have been at a certain place - I couldn't care less if people believe I've visited a certain place or not.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 08:55 AM   #41
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The ones you see. I don’t think younger accountants and lawyers and businessmen are the kids you see flashing Mom and dads money across instagram
Old 15 October 2017, 08:57 AM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Well, I don't do selfies. I've been to 77 countries in the last decade and out of tens of thousands of travel photos there are probably less than 30 pictures with me in them - I hate being photographed and don't like the selfie attitude. I also don't post on Facebook at all, don't use Snapchat and only occasionally post to Instagram when travelling.

But point taken. Lots of millenials only care about posting the photo that proves they have been at a certain place - I couldn't care less if people believe I've visited a certain place or not.
I don't think the kind of person who posts in the Patek section is going to be your typical millennial, or teenage millennial in particular, so I don't count you Tom, we're above these things.
Old 15 October 2017, 09:07 AM   #43
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The ones you see. I don’t think younger accountants and lawyers and businessmen are the kids you see flashing Mom and dads money across instagram
The rich kids of Insta and their followers was about Rolexes and recent price trends, not millenials in general. And of those I'm not really talking about young professionals, altho I'm sure they all document their holidays and dinners too but in moderation, but more that students and teenagers are constantly on their phone, and yet hardly ever talking to anyone on them any more which is sad.
Old 15 October 2017, 09:13 AM   #44
scrappy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
My son is young, successful, and has $$$ from his business and he couldn't care less about watches. I asked him if his friends are interested and they aren't either. I just returned from a Patek tour with a group of 22. Average age was around 57. Tell my son and his friends the Kardashians are into Patek and they'll tell you that's a good reason to never buy one.

I was also on a Patek tour where I'd say the average age was much lower, including a couple of gentlemen in their 20's.

Also keep in mind that those invited are typically customers who've bought numerous pieces. It's not realistic to expect that from most of the younger collectors who are new(ish) to the brand.
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 09:14 AM   #45
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't think the kind of person who posts in the Patek section is going to be your typical millennial, or teenage millennial in particular, so I don't count you Tom, we're above these things.
Cheers to you Neil.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 01:31 PM   #46
Kyle13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The rich kids of Insta and their followers was about Rolexes and recent price trends, not millenials in general. And of those I'm not really talking about young professionals, altho I'm sure they all document their holidays and dinners too but in moderation, but more that students and teenagers are constantly on their phone, and yet hardly ever talking to anyone on them any more which is sad.

This is true, I will document large events in my life but I don’t share them with others on social media. I went to Hawaii recently and took many pictures with my dslr, gopro, phone etc. But I keep them on my phone and laptop to keep them as memories to show to family and friends when with them in person. I’ve actually been thinking about getting a flip phone to carry with me at all times and only immediate family and work and my one friend will have the number. It will always be on loud and for emergency reasons only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 01:54 PM   #47
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
I was also on a Patek tour where I'd say the average age was much lower, including a couple of gentlemen in their 20's.

Also keep in mind that those invited are typically customers who've bought numerous pieces. It's not realistic to expect that from most of the younger collectors who are new(ish) to the brand.
The customers invited to the Patek Philippe factory tour by an AD will vary depending on the size and location of the ADs. Large ADs located in large cities with huge client bases will have a different clientele than smaller ADs in smaller cities with a smaller client base. I have spoken to several smaller ADs that don't have a large client base and they invite spouses to fill the ~20 spots. When I went on the factory tour, I would say the average age was probably in the upper 50s, with many people in their 60s and 70s, with only a handful of people in their 40s.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 02:08 PM   #48
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay821 View Post
I nearly threw up when the wife was watching that trash and rob kardashian was wearing an iced out NAut
If only we had gotten the prenup..
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 02:12 PM   #49
Star Ferry
Banned

After reading this thread, I agree with OP.

When they say "young people new to Patek" I don't believe (IMO of course) they are talking about a twenty-something professional who can barely afford one sport model. Although that person might become a big customer 10 years later, I don't see why they'd bet on it.

I think they are talking about wealthy men in their 30s who can already afford to play the game -- buying several dress watches before attaining the highly-coveted sport watches
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 02:17 PM   #50
Kyle13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I have been collecting Patek for years now and I still haven't bought a GC yet and I'm more than twice your age :)

I hope to start soon, I haven’t even tried one on yet!

Kyle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 03:56 AM   #51
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Patek will never cater to the young generation. They are watches made by hand, down to even the smallest screws and parts. A person who truly appreciates a Patek is a watch aficionado.

Now let me ask you this question.....what young person who cares about the latest fashion crap would understand/care about the craftsmanship of a Patek?

And second, a young person should be using that Patek level money (assuming its selfmade and not given to them) to paying off a home or using towards their future.

The Patek clientele are empty nesters or very successful middle agers. Not young people
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 04:01 AM   #52
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
Patek will never cater to the young generation. They are watches made by hand, down to even the smallest screws and parts. A person who truly appreciates a Patek is a watch aficionado.

Now let me ask you this question.....what young person who cares about the latest fashion crap would understand/care about the craftsmanship of a Patek?

And second, a young person should be using that Patek level money (assuming its selfmade and not given to them) to paying off a home or using towards their future.

The Patek clientele are empty nesters or very successful middle agers. Not young people
Shit better get off the waitlist I’m on, I don’t understand the craftsmanship of Patek.

The generalizations by this forum have me rolling over laughing
Old 16 October 2017, 04:09 AM   #53
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Thanks to the social media & the hype.....

I blame it on fashion trend.....

And the sad part they can't even pronounced Patek Philippe right......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 04:19 AM   #54
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Yeezy has been mentioned several times as an object of millennial desire. Could someone please tell me what a Yeezy is?
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 04:26 AM   #55
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Yeezy has been mentioned several times as an object of millennial desire. Could someone please tell me what a Yeezy is?
Not sure.....

But got something to do with Kanye West......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 04:30 AM   #56
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
For sheezy, my neezy. Yeezy are Kanye's Adidas sneakers. See how cool I made it, bet you wanna go out and buy a pair, homeslice.
Old 16 October 2017, 04:47 AM   #57
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post

So you assume there isn't young people who have Patek money? I know people my age (early 30's) pulling over a million a month, a watch is chump change to them.

These young boys are getting money, and they want the best right now. Not tomorrow, but now. There is no way for the traditional collector to keep up with them.

Price goes up.....so what.
How much is the right now price?
That's the mentality of the current young shopper.

DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 05:07 AM   #58
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Thanks. I'm 67 and I feel hip again.

Quote:
For sheezy, my neezy. Yeezy are Kanye's Adidas sneakers. See how cool I made it, bet you wanna go out and buy a pair, homeslice.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 05:12 AM   #59
balmain2323
"TRF" Member

I'm 32 and own two pateks
balmain2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 06:11 AM   #60
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Neil said homeslice
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote