The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 October 2017, 09:16 AM   #61
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
If I’m wearing flip flops and an ad at a Watch store, car store, any store doesn’t want to sell to me, they are an idiot. I mean I’m all for dressing nice but dang son- don’t take away my flip flops! Especially cause lately I’ve been wearing them as much as possible recovering from surgery to repair a torn Achilles.
Torn Achilles omg that is so bad... I strained mine one time to the point where I felt popping if I pointed my toes (supposed to be close to tearing it). Bad pain and a very long rehab. At least you have your 5522.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 09:25 AM   #62
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
If I’m wearing flip flops and an ad at a Watch store, car store, any store doesn’t want to sell to me, they are an idiot. I mean I’m all for dressing nice but dang son- don’t take away my flip flops! Especially cause lately I’ve been wearing them as much as possible recovering from surgery to repair a torn Achilles.

The 5522 can cure cancer, make you immortal and resolve ED, but it can't heal a torn Achilles? Pffff. Useless watch. You should sell yours to me.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 09:28 AM   #63
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post

The 5522 can cure cancer, make you immortal and resolve ED, but it can't heal a torn Achilles? Pffff. Useless watch. You should sell yours to me.
Ahhhh that's because it's the NYE model...,the 1500 piece, LE, 5522Y , (quartz) 2019 Singapore Edition at $30 000 will cure archilles heel problems and many new things
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 09:34 AM   #64
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
Torn Achilles omg that is so bad... I strained mine one time to the point where I felt popping if I pointed my toes (supposed to be close to tearing it). Bad pain and a very long rehab. At least you have your 5522.
Pain is much better when I wear the 5522. No need for pain meds
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 03:35 AM   #65
slomosen
"TRF" Member

I have to agree on many points in this post. I completely agree that Patek, as a manufacturer, is distinctly different than the ADs that serve as the deliverers of the Patek experience to the customer. I also feel that while many are attracted to Patek for the "exclusivity," they do not fully recognize what this implies (especially at the extreme ends of the spectrum).

It is on this related, already much-discussed topic (the Patek ownership experience) that I'd like to relate my comment. I think that many beginners who own or aspire to own Pateks (myself included) eventually have to recognize that the purchase of one or two entry level pieces (especially on the grey or second-hand market) will not equate to anything akin to the high-level primary Patek ownership experience. To use a car analogy, it's like buying an entry level Mercedes and thinking you're part of the same exclusive club that receives the concierge treatment tailored for the SLS AMG owners. And this is where I think the ADs have to play a difficult role. The dealer has to distinguish between the buyers on both ends of this spectrum and Patek the manufacturer, needs to be excluded from the equation. I think it's important for a customer to realize that whether Patek releases an entry-level piece, a youthfully styled piece, or makes a statement as to which group they'd like to see better represented in their client demographic, the buyer has to be aware of the big picture. When someone owns a Patek (however they may have acquired it), all it signifies is that they have met the lowest common denominator. The numerator has soooo many variables and in no way is the ownership experience going to be similar across the board.

I think that if an educated buyer keeps this basic tenet in mind, the purchasing and ownership experience can be vastly enriched -- simply because unrealistic expectations wont get in the way of the basic reason why we enjoy this hobby to begin with: the timepiece itself.

Lastly, the Govberg/5522 debacle aside, I think most ADs do a fair job of balancing the business side of things against the need to keep the client experience as uniform as possible -- even though there may often be very big differences between the kinds of customers that walk in through the door.
slomosen is offline   Reply With Quote