The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 November 2020, 07:36 AM   #1
Bensrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: '67 Patek 3541 WG
suggestions for completing my first Rolex

Hi, I just acquired my first Rolex, a 1966 1601. Since I am new to the vintage Rolex culture I wanted to get some suggestions. My watch needs new pins and a band. 1) would you consider it attractive/worthwhile to look for vintage Rolex pins, or are quality aftermarket pins ok? 2) same question regarding a strap buckle...I'll be getting a leather strap, and wondered if it would be considered advisable to look for an appropriate 1960s white gold Rolex buckle to match my watch bezel?

I appreciate any input! Trying to wait patiently to get the band on before posting pictures :)
Bensrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:05 AM   #2
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensrolex View Post
Hi, I just acquired my first Rolex, a 1966 1601. Since I am new to the vintage Rolex culture I wanted to get some suggestions. My watch needs new pins and a band. 1) would you consider it attractive/worthwhile to look for vintage Rolex pins, or are quality aftermarket pins ok? 2) same question regarding a strap buckle...I'll be getting a leather strap, and wondered if it would be considered advisable to look for an appropriate 1960s white gold Rolex buckle to match my watch bezel?
Congrats on the 1601 - the DateJust is a nice first Rolex.

Rolex will provide you with springbars, a nice strap and a WG buckle. It will cost you, but you might as well do it properly. Don't look for vintage springbars - they're consumables that need replacing occasionally.

Alternatively, if budget is a consideration, aftermarket leather straps/springbars are generally considered acceptable (unlike aftermarket steel bracelets, which aren't).

You might also want to get a steel Jubilee or Oyster bracelet (or both!) so that you can switch up the flavor occasionally. For me, a modern steel bracelet on a vintage watch is fine because they're more secure than the flimsy old vintage bracelets (I had one break just this week...), but opinions differ.

Good luck with it. Post pics!
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:18 AM   #3
TimeLord2
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
In addition to what Zapokee said, Rolex may not sell you anything unless you have the watch serviced first, which may require authentication for a watch of that vintage. If it s running fairly well you might want to just get a nice aftermarket strap and if the buckle needs branding—EBAY. I have heard a band which tapers from 20mm to 16mm is the size to get to apply a nice Rolex buckle. Cost is all over the place for that and there's no guarantee it is actually authentic (EBAY authentication, bwhahahahahha!) buyer beware. Good luck!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 11:51 AM   #4
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
...if the buckle needs branding—EBAY.
I wouldn't buy a Rolex buckle on Ebay. Likely to be fake... Would only buy one direct from an Authorized Dealer or a Rolex Service Center.
Old 25 November 2020, 02:34 PM   #5
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensrolex View Post

I appreciate any input! Trying to wait patiently to get the band on before posting pictures :)

Let’s see some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 10:50 AM   #6
Bensrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: '67 Patek 3541 WG
thanks so much for the tips, I really appreciate the info. Will post pics soon!
Bensrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 04:18 AM   #7
Mike Wood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Listen & Learn!
Get a period stainless steel Rolex USA Jubilee bracelet for it...they are the most affordable Rolex metal bands, and will complete the look of the watch.

Mike Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 07:26 AM   #8
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
I wouldn't buy a Rolex buckle on Ebay. Likely to be fake... Would only buy one direct from an Authorized Dealer or a Rolex Service Center.
I'd also like to second this, I've spent an inordinate amount of time figuring out how to identify a genuine Rolex pin buckle. The ones you can find on the Bay from at least one seller don't appear to be genuine. I own a '77 1603 and the advice I got from my local vintage Rolex guys is not to be overly concerned with the buckle with a coronet, just focus on getting a nice leather strap. I've been talking to a watchmaker which works on Rolex, and he reckons you can still acquire the correct bracelet for it, but it will cost.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 08:53 AM   #9
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtbuoy View Post
I'd also like to second this, I've spent an inordinate amount of time figuring out how to identify a genuine Rolex pin buckle. The ones you can find on the Bay from at least one seller don't appear to be genuine.
Right. I once bought a nice 1803 (long gone now) on a leather strap that had an aftermarket "Rolex" buckle. The seller hadn't claimed it had a Rolex buckle, so I couldn't really complain, but I had to do a lot of research to figure out it was aftermarket. There are lots of tells. One of them being that the buckle fell apart after a couple of months.