The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 November 2020, 09:39 AM   #1
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Entitled Rolex Collectors

Serious question are Rolex collectors who can't get what they want and complain continually acting entitled?

Is it really justified at this point?

Times change. I guess one can blame Rolex, ADs, the gray market and a variety of other things. The truth is change is one thing people have a hard time with. Especially when the change is not in ones favor. I know this all too well as we all do.

Like it or not a lot of the market sees Rolex as an investment. That is driving people to buy Rolex over other brands. Supply is less than demand of course and brand value has never been higher.

I am no fan of what is going on in todays Rolex market but I call it like I see it.

Don't get me wrong everyone is allowed to have an opinon and certainly complain. Acceptance after all is the last stage in the process.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:42 AM   #2
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Entitlement comes with blasting the $$$s. When not enough watches are made to go around angry entitled WIS behaviour ensues..
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:45 AM   #3
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Not sure I would call it entitlement. But knowing how much I love watches, genuinely, with all the right intentions, it’s frustrating not being able to get what you want, when you know others are managing to get those pieces and profit from them.

The shining light is this has only happened since late 2016. It probably won’t always be this way.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:50 AM   #4
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Yes. Took me 14 years to get a 116520, the thrill of the hunt is part of the fun. For many here, it’s about acquiring and having the it watch. Nothing wrong with that, but being into watches more broadly rather than just being into the “it” Rolex models leads one to develop appreciation for the many other important watches out there. But i also don’t think it’s simply entitlement, it’s the absurdity of the totally fabricated “scarcity” that also fuels the anger as well. I walk into an AD and am told no, sorry haven’t seen a Daytona in forever (meanwhile 2/3 go out the back door) Really now, are gray dealers (and chrono 24 and the like) getting their supply from Rolex directly? Didn’t think so.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:51 AM   #5
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

On the other hand, this might be the new norm.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:52 AM   #6
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Everything runs it's course. My taste gravitated towards some vintage pieces because of all the hype on sport models. I'm finding out how cool some of the older stuff is that i've sold in the past.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:55 AM   #7
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
If I can’t buy instantly, or within a few months from an AD I buy grey. That means 90 per cent of my watches have been bought grey. I get the watch when I want and on my own terms I can’t imagine realistically waiting years and years as some people have. It makes the game slightly more expensive and there’s a limit over Retail price I’m willing to go.

However I’m used to it I bought two Rolex 10 years ago (even then where second hand dealers) and all the rest purchased in the last few year’s so I know no different.

Even in doing so buying grey ive saved a hell of a lot of money purchasing them when I did as all they’ve continued to go up in price.

Getting basically any model that sells over the retail price on the secondary market is impossible to me where I live.

Do I envy people who can get the brand new sub etc from AD? Of course! But I can’t.. so if I like it, I buy it :)

JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:55 AM   #8
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
I am going through DS W withdrawal with his site down for last 4 days
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:56 AM   #9
G.Montag
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Not sure I would call it entitlement. But knowing how much I love watches, genuinely, with all the right intentions, it’s frustrating not being able to get what you want, when you know others are managing to get those pieces and profit from them.

The shining light is this has only happened since late 2016. It probably won’t always be this way.
You can buy any Rolex you want, anytime you want. You just may have to pay more than the MSRP (which is a totally arbitrary number that does not necessarily reflect the market value). But some people feel like their human rights are being violated if they can't buy the piece they want at retail. That's where the entitlement part comes in.
G.Montag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:00 AM   #10
Batmanbln
"TRF" Member

One thought that I think some folks might not be aware of..although it does take upfront capital is..let’s say you want a white dial/ceramic Daytona, at MSRP..Good Luck!

There are a number of AD’s who will let you pay in full for a number of PM Sport models..when the watch comes in, it’s yours.

You could potentially purchase a PM Daytona on Osterflex..or go YF green dial. Turn around and sell that watch once it comes in to the a secondary dealer. Take your profits and buy your white dial/ceramic Daytona from the grey, and still pocket anywhere from $5 to $10..even $15K depending on what you buy..

Just a thought
Batmanbln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:04 AM   #11
goodolejr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Yes. Took me 14 years to get a 116520, the thrill of the hunt is part of the fun. For many here, it’s about acquiring and having the it watch. Nothing wrong with that, but being into watches more broadly rather than just being into the “it” Rolex models leads one to develop appreciation for the many other important watches out there. But i also don’t think it’s simply entitlement, it’s the absurdity of the totally fabricated “scarcity” that also fuels the anger as well. I walk into an AD and am told no, sorry haven’t seen a Daytona in forever (meanwhile 2/3 go out the back door) Really now, are gray dealers (and chrono 24 and the like) getting their supply from Rolex directly? Didn’t think so.
14 years?! Wow. I'd love to hear about your journey sometime!
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:19 AM   #12
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Entitled Rolex Collectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post

This is entitlement

You feel you have a greater claim to the watch on account of being a watch lover when In fact the watch in question is merely a luxury good that is being distributed correctly according to capitalist principles.

Your sense of anger should be directed at all the ‘good’ ADs selling to customers without charging them the appropriate grey premium via bundling or relationship building.

Everyday some of them come in to share the joy but mostly they’re just here to rub it in your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:48 AM   #13
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Each of us acts as we choose when an impediment arises betwixt our desire and the object of that desire. It’s really a lens under which we will be judged.

Some have been childish as if they were a 6-year old obsessed with the toy they haven’t been allowed to play with. Yes, entitlement as some might say. I call it “getitnowitis”

Some of the worse examples are seen in threads about AD’s failing to meet an expectation (...bbbut...”I was 7th!!!”) - sound familiar?

Others can apply intellect to control anxiety about delayed gratification. Yes, delay is all we are really talking about. Ultimately, one way or another, a good collector will widen his/her scope to get the object of their desire.

Good discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 11:12 AM   #14
nucleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660B JC DeepSea
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Montag View Post
You can buy any Rolex you want, anytime you want. You just may have to pay more than the MSRP (which is a totally arbitrary number that does not necessarily reflect the market value). But some people feel like their human rights are being violated if they can't buy the piece they want at retail. That's where the entitlement part comes in.
I've read numerous threads about AD's insisting on the purchase of this, that, and the other thing before one can even get on the LIST to buy the watch that is truly desired. This is said to be a simple function of Capitalism and the Free Market.

No doubt my revelation has been discussed dozens of times before, but if so, here it is again...

Part of the problem is the fact that Rolex limits the AD's to selling at the MSRP. That removes the "free market" from the equation. Clearly, AT THIS POINT IN TIME, the suggested prices are too low, and this drives both the gray market and the rather unsavory AD practices.

IF Rolex would allow the AD's to let the free market work, things would equilibrate after a relatively short time.

Just my humble opinion.
nucleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 11:19 AM   #15
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanbln View Post
One thought that I think some folks might not be aware of..although it does take upfront capital is..let’s say you want a white dial/ceramic Daytona, at MSRP..Good Luck!

There are a number of AD’s who will let you pay in full for a number of PM Sport models..when the watch comes in, it’s yours.

You could potentially purchase a PM Daytona on Osterflex..or go YF green dial. Turn around and sell that watch once it comes in to the a secondary dealer. Take your profits and buy your white dial/ceramic Daytona from the grey, and still pocket anywhere from $5 to $10..even $15K depending on what you buy..

Just a thought
The amount of profit is directly related to how difficult the watch is to obtain. You can't just pop in for a green dial Daytona, which is why they sell for a hefty premium. The OF are much easier to get, therefore lower profit. And you're a random private seller? Cut your profit even more. And chances are that if you could source a green Daytona, you could probably figure out how to get a white one without all the effort.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 11:31 AM   #16
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejr View Post
14 years?! Wow. I'd love to hear about your journey sometime!

The ending was not as happy as one would think. So I have always been into watches broadly, and owned several Rolex watches over the years, DJ, sub, two tone Daytona. Because I have always been into watches, I never had this press that folks seem to have to have it now, because I not going to stop being into watches. So I would go and get cool watches that I liked, many that were not Rolex and enjoyed them completely. I have never been an instant gratification person and so the journey never bothers me. But, Because I always loved the Daytona I will always check in with the A.D. from time to time and they would tell me the business about a waiting list. But I always would check in and then one day I called, tourneau Of all places and was told there was one in the safe. I said I’ll be down.

Old 25 November 2020, 11:31 AM   #17
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Don't care. I have the watches I want and enjoy other aspects of collecting outside of simply acquiring.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 12:10 PM   #18
Deepseadog
Banned

Watch: 126660 279160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
If I can’t buy instantly, or within a few months from an AD I buy grey. That means 90 per cent of my watches have been bought grey. I get the watch when I want and on my own terms I can’t imagine realistically waiting years and years as some people have. It makes the game slightly more expensive and there’s a limit over Retail price I’m willing to go.

However I’m used to it I bought two Rolex 10 years ago (even then where second hand dealers) and all the rest purchased in the last few year’s so I know no different.

Even in doing so buying grey ive saved a hell of a lot of money purchasing them when I did as all they’ve continued to go up in price.

Getting basically any model that sells over the retail price on the secondary market is impossible to me where I live.

Do I envy people who can get the brand new sub etc from AD? Of course! But I can’t.. so if I like it, I buy it :)

Totally agree. I paid around $1k over MSRP for my Deepsea and had it within 24 hours. Life is too short to get put on a list that may not even exist.
Deepseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 12:12 PM   #19
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

The folks I feel the worst for are those who worked their tails off and saved for the right time/moment/occasion to buy a Rolex and now enter the market to see this nonsense. I was in those shoes not that long ago. Turns what should be a dream experience into a bitter resentment (at the brand/AD/etc)
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 12:37 PM   #20
goodolejr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
The ending was not as happy as one would think. So I have always been into watches broadly, and owned several Rolex watches over the years, DJ, sub, two tone Daytona. Because I have always been into watches, I never had this press that folks seem to have to have it now, because I not going to stop being into watches. So I would go and get cool watches that I liked, many that were not Rolex and enjoyed them completely. I have never been an instant gratification person and so the journey never bothers me. But, Because I always loved the Daytona I will always check in with the A.D. from time to time and they would tell me the business about a waiting list. But I always would check in and then one day I called, tourneau Of all places and was told there was one in the safe. I said I’ll be down.

Love it. Actually, now that I think about it, it was about 15 years between my becoming aware of the Daytona--including its history, and yes, hype--and acquiring it. It wasn't really a wait thing. More about just getting to that point in life where I could afford one. And yes, I agree, the wait and chase makes you appreciate it much more.
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 12:42 PM   #21
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
On the other hand, this might be the new norm.

i think it's a highly strategized marketing effort and it's working well. it won't change anytime soon
Atone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 12:47 PM   #22
79280_116520
"TRF" Member

The hunt is always more fun than obtaining the watch.
79280_116520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 12:50 PM   #23
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
The folks I feel the worst for are those who worked their tails off and saved for the right time/moment/occasion to buy a Rolex and now enter the market to see this nonsense. I was in those shoes not that long ago. Turns what should be a dream experience into a bitter resentment (at the brand/AD/etc)
Totally agree.. I got into Rolex after I retired and it was in the middle of 2019 when the demand and prices got crazy. Wish it was still the way it was back in the days when you could walk into an AD and pick what you wanted. Well, I got my AK and DJ41 at MSRP from the grey market so I'm happy to have the chance to own them.
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 12:54 PM   #24
BOXMAN76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 Daytona
First world problems
BOXMAN76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 01:00 PM   #25
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOXMAN76 View Post
First world problems
Not anymore. These watches are bought and sold in all corners of the globe. In addition, the ones that can't afford them, steal off others or purchase fakes that are so good that the uninitiated wouldn't notice.

Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 01:02 PM   #26
mike morris
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN -116234
Ok

Only time
mike morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 01:09 PM   #27
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejr View Post
Love it. Actually, now that I think about it, it was about 15 years between my becoming aware of the Daytona--including its history, and yes, hype--and acquiring it. It wasn't really a wait thing. More about just getting to that point in life where I could afford one. And yes, I agree, the wait and chase makes you appreciate it much more.

Lol, he is the funny part. So I use my watches as tools and have to time things as part of my job. I had major issues being able to tell elapsed time around the 9-12 then the 19-22 minute marks, and so ceased wearing it and relegated it to a vacation watch. But then I though what’s the purpose of a watch? The answer to tell time and found I was wearing it more as jewelry, and eventually gave it to my wife. So that’s the whole story lol. Perhaps it took so long to obtain, i changed, or perhaps it was more the idea of the Daytona that could not deliver in real life.

Old 25 November 2020, 01:25 PM   #28
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
We're not entitled. We just like to complain.
C'mon now you're guilty too!!
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 01:26 PM   #29
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

There is some element of truth to the original post.

But I also sympathize with enthusiasts who feel frustrated at not being able to get the watch they want.

However, I don't think this problem is confined to only Rolex.

It's my understanding that the same applies to desirable AP and Patek models and even some from Omega.

For example, I was recently told that the Patek Aquanaut sells for more than twice the MSRP in the grey market.

Makes me wonder if the same feeling of "entitlement'' and the flipside, which are the emotions of anger and frustration, exists among Patek enthusiasts.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 01:28 PM   #30
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
We're not entitled. We just like to complain.
C'mon now you're guilty too!!
Atone is offline   Reply With Quote