The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 21 August 2021, 10:46 PM   #1
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Panerai 9011 Movement Erratic Timekeeping

The 1033 with 9011 movement has been the most erratic timekeeper of any timepiece ever owned after over two decades as an enthusiast. And yes, it's been to service, twice, for this issue. Panerai was very responsive and serviced it in good time, so am very thankful for that.

Basically, it is inconsistent for the first 48 hours of use until it 'settles down' (that's my hope at this point). Yesterday morning was day 1 fully wound and the 1033 was gaining a lot of time (30 seconds after a few hours). So I 'reset' it last night at around 8pm and this morning at 7am it is behind about 20 seconds. So just reset it again and we'll see it goes during today.

In hindsight, wish I had gotten the 233 instead of the 1033. Ah well. Anyone else having problems with the 9011 movement?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 09:41 PM   #2
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
My 1320 has been pretty spot on with no issues so far if that helps
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 10:40 PM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Thx, and yeah it's reeeally weird. I even started thinking maybe the Panerai bracelet I got for it was magnetized, demag'ed it all, but how to explain the slowdown too? Trying to troubleshoot, yet in the end something is still amiss. Will send back to service as she gained six seconds in the last hour while being worn, yet only 10 seconds last night when laying on my desk.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 24 August 2021, 08:39 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Update... Now on day three... for the past six hours she seems to be keeping proper time.

Old 1 October 2021, 12:23 PM   #5
dieselophile
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub, PAM 111
Im a Pam 1033 owner- love the watch, the blue dial, wear it daily, its kept very accurate time, but out of blue (no pun intended) I woke up with it dead. It works fine when manually wound, but the automatic rotor seems to have decoupled from the main spring. Panerai have offered to service this problem under warranty. Im just a bit surprised at this happening, and am having doubts about the durability of the P.9011 movement. Ive my trusty Rolex Sub to fall back on, which Ive worn over the years through thick and thin never with such an issue arising. Anyone else face this problem? (Is this a hijack? should I post it separately?)
dieselophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2021, 12:57 PM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

You're fine posting here and that is a 'usual' unusual problem. In other words it's very rare, yet can happen in general.

Old 2 October 2021, 12:01 AM   #7
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I've had issues with their base 8 day movements. The first 48 hours ran extremely fast and then settled down. I flipped both watches with this movement due to this.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 12:20 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I've had issues with their base 8 day movements. The first 48 hours ran extremely fast and then settled down. I flipped both watches with this movement due to this.
The 9011 here seems to suffer the same problem. Once it settles down she keeps good time. Ya know, as much griping as I did about the unannounced 9010 'Evolution' non-hacking and decoration modifications by the factory, she's been rock steady and keeps accurate time within the 1118. Sure a tiny second or so of ebb and flow, yet after a month she's about 2 seconds fast total. Heck, that beats the Rolex SkyD blue at +7/month.

Old 2 October 2021, 12:31 AM   #9
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
The 9011 here seems to suffer the same problem. Once it settles down she keeps good time. Ya know, as much griping as I did about the unannounced 9010 'Evolution' non-hacking and decoration modifications by the factory, she's been rock steady and keeps accurate time within the 1118. Sure a tiny second or so of ebb and flow, yet after a month she's about 2 seconds fast total. Heck, that beats the Rolex SkyD blue at +7/month.
Yeah it was only with those 8 day movements. My 372 with a 3 day movement was spot on. I can't remember which was P9000 versus P5000... I also had a 1312 with the automatic movement that was extremely accurate.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2021, 10:55 AM   #10
dieselophile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
You're fine posting here and that is a 'usual' unusual problem. In other words it's very rare, yet can happen in general.
Thank you.

Ill post a follow up after it gets fixed along with a report from the Panerai tech (if Im able to get anything out of them about this issue).
Old 6 October 2021, 12:38 PM   #11
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Hey, you can still get the 233.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 10:44 AM   #12
dieselophile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselophile View Post
Thank you.

Ill post a follow up after it gets fixed along with a report from the Panerai tech (if Im able to get anything out of them about this issue).

Panerai Richemont Texas service center has responded. They have offered a full service under warranty with a 5-6 week turnaround depending on parts availability. The actual fault was not explained. Im wondering whether to request a polish or not.
Old 21 October 2021, 10:57 AM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

That's great news, and imho I'd not have it polished.

Old 21 October 2021, 11:15 AM   #14
dieselophile
"TRF" Member

Ill humbly accept your opinion
Old 16 November 2021, 11:31 AM   #15
dieselophile
"TRF" Member

My Pam 1033 just returned from a full service covered under warranty, so happy to have it back, immediately gave it a new strap.......fingers crossed......it'll reliably function well.