The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 October 2021, 07:44 AM   #1
jed11
"TRF" Member

Pam915

Hey everyone...looking to return to Panerai or I should say add Panerai back to the collection. For reference, I owned the PAM510 and the PAM422. While I liked the PAM510 (simplicity of the dial, size), the watch just sort of felt a little cold to me...hence gravitating towards the 422. But, at the end of the day (which I sort of knew), 47 was just way too big. Additionally, I prefer to wear Panerai on rubber for at least 80% of the time and I personally think the 422 is better suited on leather.

So stumbled across the PAM915 recently which seemingly blends what I liked about each previous ref. Have been going down the rabbit hole a bit and from what I gather, looks like the most recent ones now come with solid case backs but they initially released with the see through case back. I've got a lead on one with the see through case back which is my preference.

Any owners? I've been out of the Panerai scene for a bit so just rediscovering the latest releases but this seems to tick off a lot on my check list. I think it would round out my current collection - BLNR on Jubilee, Lange Saxonia Outsize Date (in rose gold), Vacheron Fifty Six Automatic (silver dial), Speedy Moonwatch.

Thanks in advance for all the input!
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 08:14 AM   #2
ASW1
"TRF" Member

Have you looked at the 233? Given you had a 422, the 233 gives you a 1950s case, sapphire back, clean look (despite its complications) and to mind much more - higher end movement, easy change straps (cocktail sticks as opposed to screwdriver) and looks great on any kind of strap - wild or conservative, rubber or hide. Dress up or down.

Personally I find the Bettarini cased models leave me cold and the movement is a lot more basic - but you may feel otherwise.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 09:07 AM   #3
997targa
"TRF" Member

Got a 915 earlier this year. Love it and a good blend of a variety of nice features. Can’t weigh in on the size for you personally, but I love mine. Never tried on a 47mm although I am also quite enamored w the 422. But on the 915, no complaints, have used a variety of strap styles/materials and while I love it, I do get plenty of compliments from different folks.
997targa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 12:58 PM   #4
jed11
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=ASW1;11748044]Have you looked at the 233? Given you had a 422, the 233 gives you a 1950s case, sapphire back, clean look (despite its complications) and to mind much more - higher end movement, easy change straps (cocktail sticks as opposed to screwdriver) and looks great on any kind of strap - wild or conservative, rubber or hide. Dress up or down.

Personally I find the Bettarini cased models leave me cold and the movement is a lot more basic - but you may feel otherwise.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

While a beautiful ref (one that I've entertained in the past), I'm looking for a simple dial with a sub seconds about the most I'd want.
Old 9 October 2021, 01:03 PM   #5
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997targa View Post
Got a 915 earlier this year. Love it and a good blend of a variety of nice features. Can’t weigh in on the size for you personally, but I love mine. Never tried on a 47mm although I am also quite enamored w the 422. But on the 915, no complaints, have used a variety of strap styles/materials and while I love it, I do get plenty of compliments from different folks.
My wrist is just under 7 so yeah, the 422 was just a bit hard to pull off...
Glad to hear you are liking your 915!!!
Old 9 October 2021, 05:52 PM   #6
ASW1
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=jed11;11748413]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
Have you looked at the 233? Given you had a 422, the 233 gives you a 1950s case, sapphire back, clean look (despite its complications) and to mind much more - higher end movement, easy change straps (cocktail sticks as opposed to screwdriver) and looks great on any kind of strap - wild or conservative, rubber or hide. Dress up or down.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

While a beautiful ref (one that I've entertained in the past), I'm looking for a simple dial with a sub seconds about the most I'd want.
Fair enough. Given that the the 915 looks a good choice.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 02:08 AM   #7
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Hi,

I purchased a PAM 915 in early summer and I can say, unequivocally, it is the most fun and best watch purchase I've ever made. It has been driving, dining, diving, and drudging away at work with me - and is great in all settings. Like you, I prefer a presentation caseback, and my AD had a new one. In retrospect, a clear back is nice and I don't know why Panerai ever gave it up, but the actual movement view is no great shakes to look at - so it is kind of meh-on-the-margin.

The tan lume seems to have attracted some negative attention - but as an owner, I think that's nonsense. It looks great with every strap I've thrown at it. Remarkable!

I also don't have a large wrist ( Just under 7"), but I'm a reasonably big guy. I have no problems, whatsoever, wearing it. In the mirror from a foot away, it looks normal. Of course, closer, it's a big watch - butt not in a bad way. A I wear it on anything. No problem. Wear it all day long. Most comfortable watch I own - which is just weird. In some ways, even more comfortable than watches like my vanishingly thin NOMOS.

In my modest collection, my Speedy was the watch I most "bonded to". But everything has been pushed out of the way in terms of majority ( but not exclusive ) wrist time by the PAM.

Good Luck on your decision!
WatchThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 03:29 AM   #8
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThinker View Post
Hi,

I purchased a PAM 915 in early summer and I can say, unequivocally, it is the most fun and best watch purchase I've ever made. It has been driving, dining, diving, and drudging away at work with me - and is great in all settings. Like you, I prefer a presentation caseback, and my AD had a new one. In retrospect, a clear back is nice and I don't know why Panerai ever gave it up, but the actual movement view is no great shakes to look at - so it is kind of meh-on-the-margin.

The tan lume seems to have attracted some negative attention - but as an owner, I think that's nonsense. It looks great with every strap I've thrown at it. Remarkable!

I also don't have a large wrist ( Just under 7"), but I'm a reasonably big guy. I have no problems, whatsoever, wearing it. In the mirror from a foot away, it looks normal. Of course, closer, it's a big watch - butt not in a bad way. A I wear it on anything. No problem. Wear it all day long. Most comfortable watch I own - which is just weird. In some ways, even more comfortable than watches like my vanishingly thin NOMOS.

In my modest collection, my Speedy was the watch I most "bonded to". But everything has been pushed out of the way in terms of majority ( but not exclusive ) wrist time by the PAM.

Good Luck on your decision!
Great write up & feedback. With my previous 510, I was totally able to pull it off and you are right, wrist shots are tough to gauge of how a watch sits on the wrist...even my 38.5 Saxonia looks 'big' in some shots. Like you, I welcome the ecru numerals and the black hands...again, I thought the 510 was kind of 'cold' and maybe the steel hands and green numerals contributed to that.
And again, I'm with you in that I prefer see through if it's an option. Not needed, but if it was one vs. the other, why not see the movement even if it's nothing to drool over! I've got the VC and Lange for that purpose anyway.

Getting closer...
Old 6 December 2021, 10:00 PM   #9
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
I have a 915… love the watch! In the summer it’s on the OEM Green Rubber !