The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 5 March 2019, 12:30 AM   #1
LHBullock91
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Rest Position Variation

Ahoy:

I have seen the numerous threads about rest position and know the Rolex recommended positions as far as self-regulation, but I feel like the threads I have been able to turn up haven't quite been close enough to my experience to warrant me not asking.

I have a 216570 with the 3187 movement, card dated 2015. It is keeping great time and has been very accurate, but seems to be rather sensitive to rest position. I've been checking it against time.gov more to get an idea of how I should be resting it at night and have noticed that the rest position changes the time significantly enough that I need to change how I do rest it every couple of days.

Dial up at night it runs fast as expected, and slows down with the crown up. I am watching closer than I would imagine most are and I know that most are. I know that checking it daily down to seconds gained/lost is going to show some differences. I think its important to note that I am incredibly happy with this watch coming from a 3185 that ran erratically numerous times (though within spec as well) within the same period of time I've had this model. I also don't feel like it needs a regulation for what it's doing, I just wanted to ask for sake of discussion as its near perfect while I'm wearing it (which may be why I notice variations).

Is it normal for the 3187 to consistently have a noticeable change from the rest position? Is the fact that it is consistent and predictable exactly what I should be happy about? Am I noticing it more because on the wrist its damn near perfect? It is within COSC specs, but what are your observations with yours?

I want to stress again I am incredibly happy and dont feel that there is any problem. Thanks in advance.
LHBullock91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 05:07 AM   #2
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
It seems that the 31 series movements change more depending on resting position than the newer 32 series. My DJ41 doesn't seem to change much based on resting position.

I've heard the same from numerous people. I bet they're all a little different, though.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 09:17 AM   #3
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I recently received a 116334 DJII 3136 this past Xmas dated 11/17 and initially it runs fast and then is spot on but fast I have tried a few different resting positions but I’m finally convinced that even being off a minute a month is not a big deal so I can now move on to looking for my next automatic
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 01:50 PM   #4
LHBullock91
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies! I’m certainly not worried about it, but just didn’t notice much of a change with resting position on my 16570 or seamaster. Everything I read said the difference would be so insignificant overnight that I wouldn’t be able to tell at all so I figured I’d ask and get some input.
Old 6 March 2019, 05:49 AM   #5
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
Well, a minute a month would be -2 a day, or within what Rolex claims. So yeah, we should be happy with that.

Mine has run as slow as -9 a day (started perfect) and THAT was not cool. :)
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 06:51 AM   #6
LHBullock91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
Well, a minute a month would be -2 a day, or within what Rolex claims. So yeah, we should be happy with that.
And think of it this way, in the next year you're either 12 minutes early and people think you're ambitious, or you're 12 minutes late and you'll find out immediately so you can reset it, and even that's forgivable.
Old 6 March 2019, 08:04 PM   #7
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post

Mine has run as slow as -9 a day (started perfect) and THAT was not cool. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBullock91 View Post
And think of it this way, in the next year you're either 12 minutes early and people think you're ambitious, or you're 12 minutes late and you'll find out immediately so you can reset it, and even that's forgivable.
Well I was in jest when I said a minute a month, currently I am on day 2 and I am currently 15 secs fast so I am gaining approx 7.5 secs a day, we will see what day 3 brings but if it continues to be that fast each day or 3.5-4 mins a month that’s about a minute out of spec and I’m not sure I would have an AD crack the case for that
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 09:32 AM   #8
Gotham777
"TRF" Member

I have a 3187. Here is what I am getting postion wize, verified by timing machine.

Dial up: +3 sec/day
Vertical 12up: -3
Vertical 12Down:+3
Crown up: 0
Crown down: +2

In general it gains about 2sec/day when wearing, as most of the time it is 12down when wearing, so I leave it vertical 12up overnight on a little stand and it is almost back to zero at the start of the day.
Gotham777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 05:32 AM   #9
LHBullock91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham777 View Post
I have a 3187. Here is what I am getting postion wize, verified by timing machine.

Dial up: +3 sec/day
Vertical 12up: -3
Vertical 12Down:+3
Crown up: 0
Crown down: +2

In general it gains about 2sec/day when wearing, as most of the time it is 12down when wearing, so I leave it vertical 12up overnight on a little stand and it is almost back to zero at the start of the day.
Thank you for such a detailed response! Thats exactly what I'm looking for and seeming to be getting with mine without getting it on a machine of course. Thanks so much again!
Old 14 March 2019, 11:10 AM   #10
Gotham777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBullock91 View Post
Thank you for such a detailed response! Thats exactly what I'm looking for and seeming to be getting with mine without getting it on a machine of course. Thanks so much again!

Glad to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotham777 is offline   Reply With Quote