The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 March 2019, 08:44 PM   #31
scurfa
"TRF" Member

I sold some nice vintage pieces for a Patek when I didn’t need to, big regrets now.
Old 19 March 2019, 08:59 PM   #32
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not do it for your listed PP. I guess that you want a PP but for what it is and the issues with service times I would pause. If you sell your two Rolex watches you will still have to come up with some serious money to make the purchase. Figure out what that figure is and go look at dress watches that fit into your desires. The Rolex Cellini Line-up gets dumped on all the time but they are beautiful watches and can be had in the secondary market for a song. You will also have choices from JLC, VC and Cartier that would work very nicely. I would not sell, I would add, and I would pass on the PP. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 10:39 PM   #33
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I think the trade makes sense if you want to be a two watch guy. Lots of diversity. Dress and sport. Although both can be dressed up/down very easily. So you’re really covered. I think the biggest choice is actually which direction do you want to go with your collection. Will you be satisfied with less options than 3 or waiting to add a fourth? If you’re ok with that then do it. Otherwise maybe it’s best to wait and add later rather than sell two for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 March 2019, 01:00 AM   #34
crewsin
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Thanks for the input everyone. For now, I’ll stick with what I have. 3 pieces is enough for me and there’s enough diversity already for my lifestyle. If I get the itch, I may pick up a PP in the future, but I’m in the beginning stages of learning about PP in general so the 5296g sector may not be what I end up getting. Part of the fun is learning so you can really appreciate what you have, and it will be some time before I have the confidence and cash to buy another watch, especially one as expensive as a PP. I’ve nothing to scoff at though, I’m very happy with my current collection. Cheers.
crewsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 01:47 AM   #35
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsin View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. For now, I’ll stick with what I have. 3 pieces is enough for me and there’s enough diversity already for my lifestyle. If I get the itch, I may pick up a PP in the future, but I’m in the beginning stages of learning about PP in general so the 5296g sector may not be what I end up getting. Part of the fun is learning so you can really appreciate what you have, and it will be some time before I have the confidence and cash to buy another watch, especially one as expensive as a PP. I’ve nothing to scoff at though, I’m very happy with my current collection. Cheers.
Go check out the new calatrava. Looks interesting
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 02:38 AM   #36
Lukasz23212
"TRF" Member

go for it...5296g is awesome
Lukasz23212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:09 AM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsin View Post
Fair enough, I sold a PM Rolex for a PP a couple of times but I'd not for that watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 01:18 PM   #38
aparker973
"TRF" Member

Was in a similar situation as you some years ago.

I picked up the 5296G sector and tried to like it, but just couldn't. It was comfortable and easy to wear, but I'm a big guy and it started to feel anemic. The hands are adequately long for the dial, but once I noticed just how short they are in absolute terms, I couldn't unseen it. I traded for a Lange 1815 and have no regrets.

There's a lot to like about the 5296 but definitely give it a drive on the wrist before you make a decision. The white gold option is the best metal too IMO for that model.
aparker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 12:23 PM   #39
jeffnar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205R
Hi all

I am new to the Forum so apologies about my late response. I am a '"former" Patek owner that traded in my 5107 basic Calatrava for the new GMT two tone rose gold CHNR. My collection consists of a 16660 vintage Sea Dweller, the BLNR Batman GMT, and now the CHNR. I will add a different Patek later in the fall by trading in the Sea Dweller. I am finding out I am just not a vintage collector. Vintage pieces are just not for me.

I would go for the Patek. As a former Patek owner, the watch brand adds a diversity to your collection that another Rolex just cannot do. Plus, Patek is only noticed on your wrist by those "in the know" so when the Patek is on your wrist, you do get to meet different people who really appreciate fine timepieces! However, note that it will get much less attention on your wrist than a Rolex will. If you have not bought one already, I would go for the 5205 over the 5206. The 5205R Rose Gold Black Face is actually my favorite watch, which I am going to try to buy after the summer.

Good luck!
jeffnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 01:42 PM   #40
Dr Watches
Banned

Look into patek service experience, cost, and frequency before making the choice.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote