The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 March 2019, 12:12 AM   #1
Divebud
"TRF" Member

Help with Datejust 1958?

Hi

I have had a ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST (No box no paperwork) passed down to me. .

Can anyone help me with information about the watch?

Model number on rim above 12 is 6605, serial number below the six is in the
220000 -230000 range.

I like the watch, it gets noticed, but I can't say much about it when people ask.

I asked in the main forum a couple of years back and someone suggested it was circa 1958, but to post on here, as people were more knowledgeable. I got sidetracked.

Any information would be welcome. I wear it most of the time now,as I like the watch and wouldn't part, albeit I did initially consider that.

Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (107.3 KB, 98 views)
Divebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2019, 12:19 AM   #2
Divebud
"TRF" Member

Apologies, I must be losing my marbles. I did actually post in this forum after being advised a couple of years ago and received some responses. Having said that if anyone has anything to say about it, I would still be grateful, otherwise ignore, apologies.
Old 19 March 2019, 01:23 AM   #3
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
Rolex was still using those style of hands in the late fifties early sixties, and the dial is certainly from that era, though it looks more like early 60’s. If it is indeed a 6605, the movement is possibly the 1065 with the butterfly rotor. The dial has been redone at some (recent) point

From what I have learned (which is little compared to some on here), Rolex in the mid fifties were making dials like the one in my avatar, then approaching the late 50’s, they started a more “modern” look, and dropped the arrow shaped indices in favour of the “sticks”. The cross over period still used the hands that your one has, by which we can assume a date range as above

The roulette wheel is correct for this era. Your dial seems to be marked “T Swiss”, which puts it in the early 60’s, when they changed from Radium lume to Tritium. The white dial on the 6605’s of this era typically show signs of age, so it is not uncommon for the dial to have been redone, as has mine. As a “two tone” watch of this model, it is (in my opinion) slightly less desirable, but as they say, “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”

Parts for the 1065 movement are pretty much like rocking horse droppings, so don’t expect this watch to be entertained at an RSC. However, a good independent with an “extensive” range of contacts will probably take it on – but most wouldn’t

Although it says “Oyster” on the dial, a watch of this age should not be considered waterproof. With a new plexi-glass and seals it will probably pass a pressure test, but nobody in their right mind is going to guarantee it past the door

If it runs and keeps half decent time, call it good and leave it well alone. There are some people out there who can regulate it to within an inch of its life, but that costs money, and with good reason ….
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:39 PM   #4
Divebud
"TRF" Member

Many thanks for that input, it does indeed run and keep good time, so I will take your advice cheers.