The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 March 2019, 12:19 PM   #1
Towers700
"TRF" Member

Rolex Daytona 6263 service

First time poster, please go easy. I’ve recently inherited my fathers 1972 Rolex cosmograph Daytona and wanted to take it in for service for a few reasons:
My Father never took it in for service and I want to confirm that it’s in good working condition. I’d like to get it checked and possibly cleaned.(Not polished or have any parts replaced if at all possible). The bracelet was lost years ago and woulf like to replace It with a genuine one. Finally I also want to get it authenticated and appraised for insurance pourposes.

I took in in to my local Rolex authorized dealer and was informed that their Serivice team would be unable to work on it and would have to be mailed to PA location. I’m a little weary as the most they can insure the watch in the event it goes missing is 10k which considerably less than what the watch is worth

Has anyone had any experiences and if so any recommendations on what I should do before handing over my family heirloom to a complete stranger?
The manager at the location said it would cost 500.00 fee just to send it in for service. If I agreed to the getting the watch repaired then they would credit the 500.00 to the service/repair work. I’m also curious to see if anyone here has had any experience in their servicing of an older model Rolex and get an approximate ball park estimate on what I could spend in the service. AD mentioned he recently saw a Daytona that was sent it for service and it cost close to 20k to bring back to pristine condition.
Towers700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:45 PM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I'd find the best independent watchmaker you can in your area to work on your watch if possible... If not... For a watch like this... If there's no good local options... I'd fly the watch myself to a top independent to get the work done.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 01:55 PM   #3
Vlad
"TRF" Member

honestly, and some might disagree with me (will not be the first tonight :) ), but 6263 was powered by valjoux 72 - any competent watch maker in your area can handle that movement - just make sure they know how to take off hands and take care of the dial - as the dial and hands are A LOT more expensive than parts of the movement

Ask what chronos he has worked on, ask to see the bench, bring a Lemania 5100 chrono and see if he can identify the movement based on the subdials - mean but very effective.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 02:39 PM   #4
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
honestly, and some might disagree with me (will not be the first tonight :) ), but 6263 was powered by valjoux 72 - any competent watch maker in your area can handle that movement - just make sure they know how to take off hands and take care of the dial - as the dial and hands are A LOT more expensive than parts of the movement
while technically true, a 6263 is no ordinary Valjoux 72.
OP, Please find a watchmaker that specializes in vintage watches and understands the importance of not replacing hands, dials or anything that is not a serviceable part. There are many such watchmakers...but not just any watchmaker should be trusted with your very valuable watch. I would not recommend sending the watch to Rolex...they tend to replace parts to upgrade the watch. You dont want this to happen. Please post a photo and we can offer more advice.

Quote:
bring a Lemania 5100 chrono and see if he can identify the movement based on the subdials - mean but very effective.
yes, I'm sure the OP has one laying around...dont we all?

@heuerautavia
cajuntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 08:43 PM   #5
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
If you use ParcelPro to insure and send the watch, you will have no troubles. I believe they will insure to at least $50,000 USD. They ship via FedEx and insure separately. They just have specific packing instructions, etc.

Now, please do not just send it to any watchmaker who can service a Valjoux 72. That is absolutely terrible advice. A valjoux 72 is a ‘simple’ watch to repair in the sense that it is a standard vintage chronograph. However, you are dealing with a watch of high value here. Normally, I could overhaul a valjoux 72 in a full day. On a vintage Daytona I would allow 2-3 days just before of the value. The watchmaker would want to work slower, being more careful to avoid any potential issues, etc. So expect to pay 2-3 days labour. Honestly, if anyone is charging you less, please don’t trust them. This is not a job to be rushed.

Also, don’t just pick a ‘Rolex’ familiar watchmaker. Really pick someone who understand the importance of horological restoration and values.
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:29 AM   #6
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton_Horologist View Post
If you use ParcelPro to insure and send the watch, you will have no troubles. I believe they will insure to at least $50,000 USD. They ship via FedEx and insure separately. They just have specific packing instructions, etc.

Now, please do not just send it to any watchmaker who can service a Valjoux 72. That is absolutely terrible advice. A valjoux 72 is a ‘simple’ watch to repair in the sense that it is a standard vintage chronograph. However, you are dealing with a watch of high value here. Normally, I could overhaul a valjoux 72 in a full day. On a vintage Daytona I would allow 2-3 days just before of the value. The watchmaker would want to work slower, being more careful to avoid any potential issues, etc. So expect to pay 2-3 days labour. Honestly, if anyone is charging you less, please don’t trust them. This is not a job to be rushed.

Also, don’t just pick a ‘Rolex’ familiar watchmaker. Really pick someone who understand the importance of horological restoration and values.
+1000

And yes, Parcel Pro is a great solution. I ship all of my watches with Parcel pro. No need to fly with your watch.
I have shipped vintage watches at least 100 times using Parcel Pro with no issues. And its the only way I ship my watches for service.

@heuerautavia
Old 22 March 2019, 03:51 AM   #7
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ask what chronos he has worked on, ask to see the bench, bring a Lemania 5100 chrono and see if he can identify the movement based on the subdials - mean but very effective.
I would also like to add that this is a terrible idea for a litmus test and will reveal absolutely nothing about what a watchmaker knows or his/her ability.
Old 22 March 2019, 03:57 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcme to the forum and my condolences on the passing of your father.

I would check with RIK Dietel at Time Care or similar. You don’t want to send off such a valuable piece to anywhere USA watch repair.

I agree with sensui, I’d fly there with it.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 03:57 AM   #9
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuntiger View Post

yes, I'm sure the OP has one laying around...dont we all?
If you don't have a Lemania 5100, other movements could fit the bill, such as modular ETA 2894 (the pushers and the crown are not on the same plate) or 7751 (interesting complication layout), or even a through the crown single button chrono - for that matter any uncommon chrono might do.

Litmus test is only to get a good feel about the watchwaker - to see how he talks and describes different movements, to gauge his level of knowledge and experience, to see how he treats other watches (what's on his bench, and how things are arranged), to see if he knows some intricate details about your watch - just to read the person you are about to give a very expensive watch to. This might not work for all, but always worked for me.

I do not agree that a more expensive watch requires longer to service. A competent watchmaker who is familiar and comfortable with Val72 can take care of the COA - be that Rolex or be that Benrus. Process is the same.
Changing a battery on a cartier is easier than on a timex; changing a tire on a Rolls Royce is similar to Camry; changing shingles on a multi-million mansion is the same as 200k starter house - the only reason it costs more is because people are willing to pay.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 727 differs from 72 in finish only - not in functionality.

If the watch maker is careless - stay away, if the watch maker is afraid to touch your watch - stay away.
Old 22 March 2019, 04:28 AM   #10
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you don't have a Lemania 5100, other movements could fit the bill, such as modular ETA 2894 (the pushers and the crown are not on the same plate) or 7751 (interesting complication layout), or even a through the crown single button chrono - for that matter any uncommon chrono might do.

Litmus test is only to get a good feel about the watchwaker - to see how he talks and describes different movements, to gauge his level of knowledge and experience, to see how he treats other watches (what's on his bench, and how things are arranged), to see if he knows some intricate details about your watch - just to read the person you are about to give a very expensive watch to. This might not work for all, but always worked for me.

I do not agree that a more expensive watch requires longer to service. A competent watchmaker who is familiar and comfortable with Val72 can take care of the COA - be that Rolex or be that Benrus. Process is the same.
Changing a battery on a cartier is easier than on a timex; changing a tire on a Rolls Royce is similar to Camry; changing shingles on a multi-million mansion is the same as 200k starter house - the only reason it costs more is because people are willing to pay.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 727 differs from 72 in finish only - not in functionality.

If the watch maker is careless - stay away, if the watch maker is afraid to touch your watch - stay away.
Vlad,
Please read the OP's first post. He wouldn't even know what this means. He asking for help with a watch he inherited.

@heuerautavia
Old 22 March 2019, 04:47 AM   #11
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Are you a watchmaker who has had to take responsibility for a $100,000 watch on his bench?
Old 22 March 2019, 04:51 AM   #12
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajuntiger View Post
Vlad,
Please read the OP's first post. He wouldn't even know what this means. He asking for help with a watch he inherited.
true, but it does not mean that he should not be educated - or try to educate himself. These watches are expensive and as a consumer, he should know what to worry about, what to ask, how to judge validity of the information, how to select the best watchmaker for his situation, and so on.

he should know that some parts on Val72 can be replaced and some should never be, he should understand how to agree on repairs and what pictures to take in case something goes wrong (i.e. a scratch on a dial).

i am not where he's at. I cannot take him to a watchmaker, but I can help him understand some basics and not get completely taken for a ride. Unless the watch is a compete rust bucket, the service for val72 should run between $700 and $1000 - be that Rolex or a Benrus - or maybe even less if he can find a watch maker and bypass shop's profit margin.
Old 22 March 2019, 05:36 AM   #13
Rolexlover92
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust, Speedy
I too have my fathers Rolex and almost everyone I have asked including my local Rolex AD has told me not to send the watch to Rolex Service Center because they will replace the Original parts. I personally haven’t had the experience but from asking people on the forums it seems the best place to send the watch for the proper service and care is Los Angeles Watch Works or Watchmakers International
Rolexlover92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 06:22 AM   #14
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Los Angeles WatchWorks! They do all work on my vintage watches and I highly recommend them. Most of the top vintage guys I know and dealers all use LAWW and for good reason.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 10:11 AM   #15
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Los Angeles WatchWorks! They do all work on my vintage watches and I highly recommend them. Most of the top vintage guys I know and dealers all use LAWW and for good reason.
X2. Bob Ridley at Watchmakers International near Dallas is another good option and is where I had my 6263 serviced. Expect to pay $1500 and perhaps more, depending on the work needed. You can’t go wrong at either place.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 10:28 AM   #16
Towers700
"TRF" Member

Thank you all! Attached are some photos minus the lost bracelet. Any idea on a ballpark estimate as is?
Attached Files
File Type: zip IMG_9822.jpg.zip (1.34 MB, 64 views)
File Type: zip IMG_9832.jpg.zip (1.27 MB, 18 views)
File Type: zip IMG_9834.jpg.zip (1.39 MB, 8 views)
File Type: zip IMG_9835.jpg.zip (1.54 MB, 9 views)
File Type: zip IMG_9831.jpg.zip (962.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 22 March 2019, 10:48 AM   #17
Towers700
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice on not sending to Rolex Service Center, I was very close to getting it shipped.

I am looking to replace the bracelet, i've seen some eBay posts but not sure how to go about purchasing an original one. Any help on contact info or reputable websites would be greatly appreciate it.

I'll search for some local watch service repair spots in my area but wouldn't want to test their knowledge as it would hard for me to tell how well versed they are in preparing my watch.
Old 22 March 2019, 12:32 PM   #18
chows99
"TRF" Member

This is worth at least 60 grand based on current sentiment. My humble opinion.
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 05:50 PM   #19
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Sorry for the loss of your father .

6263 Sigma dial , missing lume plots . I would imagine this could clean up nicely and a new bracelet .

value I don't have a clue , But its priceless as it your fathers ,be sure to show us what it is like when its returned form service
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 06:50 PM   #20
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton_Horologist View Post
I would also like to add that this is a terrible idea for a litmus test and will reveal absolutely nothing about what a watchmaker knows or his/her ability.
Must say - I too would be very wary at such an approach- would a watchmaker even go for it?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote