The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 23 February 2019, 06:01 AM   #1
sitkenneth
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP SS Jumbo
Purchase Experience with Stein Diamonds

Hi Gents

I ve recently acquired a pre owned piece from Stein Diamonds through their website and come across
an issue with its conditions. I don’t know if I am worrying too much so would like to seek your opinions. Thanks in advance

It’s a pre owned 42mm offshore advertised as *LIKE NEW*. Shipping was fast and when it arrived I noticed the following. There are a few scratches on the bezel which looked minor. After all I am buying a pre owned piece. What really bothers me is that one of the edges (at 10:00 position) appeared to have been buffed such that the polished part there was wider than the other 3. (See attached pics). And tbh I am a little disappointed that this has not been mentioned prior to my purchase, nor on their website.

I brought it to AP and they said it has been buffed to remove a dent at the edge. They measured it and said the polished part of that edge is .2mm wider than standard. I then emailed Joe from Stein and he confirmed the watch has been “prepared” but insisted that its in excellent conditions.

It is not noticeable unless you hold it close but do you guys think that’s OK? Is that still a *LIKE NEW* piece?

Another issue I have is that AP here cannot find the service record and said if its polished not by them they may need to void the warranty.

What should I do?

Ken

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 93D30A1C-A7C4-4CDF-BBEF-D4C2FF497ED4.jpeg (93.6 KB, 1613 views)
File Type: jpeg B2B2131F-33A7-499C-841C-655152819F8C.jpeg (80.5 KB, 1606 views)

Last edited by sitkenneth; 23 February 2019 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: Additional info
sitkenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 06:07 AM   #2
aa909
Banned

can you take some pics in better lighting? These are somewhat out of focus. It would be good to see pictures in natural light from 2-3 feet away as well as close pictures so we have a better perspective.
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 06:10 AM   #3
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

No, that is not "like new".
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 08:46 AM   #4
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Sorry, I would have an issue with that "prepared".
Old 23 February 2019, 08:48 AM   #5
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I would return this if I could.
Old 23 February 2019, 11:07 AM   #6
sitkenneth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Sorry, I would have an issue with that "prepared".
I read the email again and believed that the word "prepared" was a typo. He probably mean "preowned". That this being a pre-owned piece a buffing with .2mm impact is not significant.

Maybe I am over sensitive but to me with polishing/buffing to remove dents this cannot be advertised as LIKE NEW.

Taken this as a lesson learnt. My worry now is that I am not certain if I will lose the warranty from AP. I was told nothing was done outside of AP and could only hope that this is true.
Old 23 February 2019, 11:09 AM   #7
sitkenneth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
I would return this if I could.
This was an international purchase and their website says no return.

Last edited by sitkenneth; 23 February 2019 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: .
Old 23 February 2019, 11:35 AM   #8
sitkenneth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
can you take some pics in better lighting? These are somewhat out of focus. It would be good to see pictures in natural light from 2-3 feet away as well as close pictures so we have a better perspective.
e that
Pls see if this helps. You can see that the 3 lines do not converge at one point. For comparison the one at 7:00 position looks normal
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8F0BCF7D-D6B2-4749-AEE6-9E1E09DCD1A2.jpeg (215.8 KB, 1479 views)
File Type: jpeg 0831E159-9B47-4F4B-A5E4-52CC635F4DFA.jpeg (213.9 KB, 1497 views)
Old 23 February 2019, 11:36 AM   #9
aa909
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitkenneth View Post
This was an international purchase and their website says no return.
The watch is definitely not "Like New" so if you used American Express or Paypal for example, you can open a dispute that the item was "Not As Described". If you can document the advertisement stating it was Like New and show that condition as-is, you have a chance at returning and recouping your money.

EDIT: Just saw you posted new pics. To be honest, it's not really that bad (or noticeable) in the new picture you posted. If the watch is running fine, and the price you paid was really good, then you could keep it. But if it bothers you that much then you can follow up with a dispute through the payment vehicle you used. Good Luck!
Old 23 February 2019, 11:54 AM   #10
zahain
"TRF" Member

yeah it doesnt look good. If you are not satisfied, hopefully the place you purchased it from will take a full refund. If AP service centre has said its edge has been polished to get rid of a dent that would bug me alot and lose faith in the person i purchase it from. If it doesnt bother you, you can always keep and enjoy it. Good look on whatever choice you choose.
zahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 11:54 AM   #11
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think the watch will look fine in normal use. The one issue is the seller’s promise that the work was done by AP. Because you might suffer the loss of the warranty otherwise.

I’d send him a “produce the invoice” email - perhaps while returns aren’t accepted, an action for fraud can be made if AP shows no record of the work and he has no proof it was done by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 01:07 PM   #12
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I've knocked my watches into doors and walls and have never put a dent in any of them (scratches, yes). I would be concerned if there was an impact big enough to cause a dent. Even more concerned if AP now won't touch the watch.
Old 23 February 2019, 06:38 PM   #13
Sho-nuff
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP │ ALS
Quote:
I was told nothing was done outside of AP and could only hope that this is true.
I thought AP services watches back to the original condition. That doesn't seem to be the case with this watch. IMO with the scratches and buffing, it's not in "like new" condition.
Sho-nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 07:54 PM   #14
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Bezel edges are also very soft. I would skip on that one.
Old 23 February 2019, 07:59 PM   #15
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
that jumped out at me as well 
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 10:43 PM   #16
sitkenneth
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys, will try to ask for a return
Old 24 February 2019, 02:54 AM   #17
aa909
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Good catch, agree
Old 24 February 2019, 03:10 AM   #18
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
On the 2nd photo it looks like a chunk is missing on the lugs, it’ll drive me mad.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 12:26 PM   #19
yyzpam
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP Rolex PAM
This is a “hack” job and certainly not to AP standards. I would never buy a watch sight unseen without the possibility a return should the condition not be to my liking or as described. Buy the seller, then the watch.
yyzpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 02:13 PM   #20
solrac6262
2024 Pledge Member

hard to tell with your pictures, very bad resolution, is that the black dial with blue sub dials?
solrac6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 04:22 PM   #21
sitkenneth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solrac6262 View Post
hard to tell with your pictures, very bad resolution, is that the black dial with blue sub dials?
Yes. This is one of the pics in the listing
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8786237A-DEC9-4CD9-944E-FAD9DCD1AB96.jpeg (81.8 KB, 1232 views)
Old 25 February 2019, 04:30 PM   #22
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t be happy - it’s not “Like New” as advertised. With an AP it’s the small things which make a big difference.

The presence of scratches on the case and absence on the polished segments shows up too. Agree with the above, ask for a copy of the invoice showing AP worked on the watch.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 04:33 PM   #23
solrac6262
2024 Pledge Member

that picture looks ok, but again resolution is very bad, if you surf the non- rolex sales forum, pictures are very clear, you can get a better a idea of the watch condition.

2 things.

1-if you are not happy with the purchase and they can take a return, do that, because in the future if you want to sell the watch, you need to tell all this to the new buyer, also the watch was advertised as like new condition and I don't think you are very happy spending all this money.
2-if price was great and you can live with the watch as is, just move on, but would be good if you can upload a quality image, again hard to tell in your pictures.
solrac6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 05:42 PM   #24
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
AP keeps service records of everything, even on my pieces from 1994 they have records. If its not in the records then AP did not service the watch.

TBH it depends on the price you paid, if you paid like 10k then you got a bargain, if you paid 20k in that condition i would ask for a refund. Anywhere between 12-17k is fair depending on the condition of the movement.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 12:18 PM   #25
sitkenneth
"TRF" Member

Latest update: the store said they need 10-20% restocking fee if I am to return it. Hmmm
Old 27 February 2019, 12:35 PM   #26
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Latest update: the store said they need 10-20% restocking fee if I am to return it. Hmmm
Return it and move on. The watch is not to your liking and is going to drive you crazy. Very bad business by them if they described this LNIB

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 01:58 PM   #27
aa909
Banned

Quote:
If you're not happy with it then I would offer them 10% and move on. It's a disappointment but better to return and move on
Old 27 February 2019, 02:29 PM   #28
JoesWatches
"TRF" Member

Our Side

Just want to state a few facts that I think are missing and essential to the conversation:

1) There were 15 photos of the watch uploaded (i created a dropbox link for the watches to be viewed here:

(cannot post links since we are new to forums so after typing dropbox dot com copy and paste this "/sh/ttpaci0hhcyvz95/AABXopmwgAVDvpHJU10aZ_rAa?dl=0")

2) We never stated we did any service with AP- our watches are checked with our in house watchmaker to ensure it is keeping time, not with AP. Never claimed that and would never claim that because that did not happen.

3) The watch was described as "mint condition, like new" but we leave the pictures which are taken on an iPhone with no photoshop for customers to decide themselves

4) Despite our policy states we do not accept returns on international orders- I was willing to accept a return until we found out the watch was worn. Once worn we obviously cannot accept a full return

5) WE PRICED THIS AS A PRE OWNED WATCH! I think Ken can attest that this was significantly below market and definitely not priced a couple hundred or even a 1,000 below a brand new one so we did not push him out of a new one to get a pre-owned one.

6) we are working with him and responding to all emails asap. We stand behind everything we sell and stay in business by referrals and return customers. Don't want anyone to have a watch they don't love, would have gladly accepted a return if it was returned in the same condition it was delivered.
JoesWatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 02:29 PM   #29
sitkenneth
"TRF" Member

Right but on the other hand I was thinking if I should let them take advantage of it again. Tks for the suggestion though
Old 27 February 2019, 02:42 PM   #30
aa909
Banned

Quote:
Right but on the other hand I was thinking if I should let them take advantage of it again. Tks for the suggestion though
Well, the other option is to open a dispute with your credit card company for "item not as described". That would potential resolve in your favor and the seller would likely not attempt to re-list it as "Like New".

You could also play hardball and tell the seller if they don't take the watch back without a restocking fee that you're going to share a detailed review of the watch and their sales tactics on all the forums.. Wonder if a few thousand is worth the headache for them

Tags
steindiamonds