The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 January 2020, 08:11 AM   #1
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Tudor more accurate than Rolex

Hi guys,
Saw a post here on this forum about an app called toolwatch, I guess many here know about it but it was new to me not me. I gave it a try with my two watches, the one year old Tudor GMT and newly purchased Rolex SD43.
Now I don’t know how accurate this app is or if the test has to be repeated but first results are surprising to say the least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 355A4189-A3B8-4640-9BAC-E18B5A632599.jpeg (57.5 KB, 260 views)
Old 4 January 2020, 08:21 AM   #2
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Not surprised. Most of these watches run within cosc spec. After that it’s just noise.
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 08:24 AM   #3
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Both are excellent results and one would see more variation than the difference between the two depending on who wears them. Nothing to worry about. Try letting your SD43 sleep on its side at night, crown up, and you'll be very close to zero in a 24 hr period.
Old 4 January 2020, 08:24 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

SS SkyD blue is +7 sec a month. It comes down to good regulation on these modern pieces.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 08:25 AM   #5
2024 Pledge Member

Assuming both have been manufactured or serviced recently, one is regulated better, that's all.

My 1980s GMT loses 1 second per week if I don't wear it every day, otherwise gain/loss is zero. It's all in the regulation.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 08:26 AM   #6
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Assuming both have been manufactured or serviced recently, one is regulated better, that's all.
This.
Old 4 January 2020, 08:29 AM   #7
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Just luck. Crown up, crown down. Too hot. Too cold. Give each a week in the wrist and take
Off same time each day and then see. Some weeks they run faster than others. Just noise as said earlier. Run for a week or two and then see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 08:31 AM   #8
Rori
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. No, I’m not worried at all but thought Tudor was less accurate than Rolex. Also wanted to know if this app is reliable. That’s all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Busey View Post
Not surprised. Most of these watches run within cosc spec. After that it’s just noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Both are excellent results and one would see more variation than the difference between the two depending on who wears them. Nothing to worry about. Try letting your SD43 sleep on its side at night, crown up, and you'll be very close to zero in a 24 hr period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
SS SkyD blue is +7 sec a month. It comes down to good regulation on these modern pieces.
Both are new watches. Bought new from boutique so none had been regulated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post

My 1980s GMT loses 1 second per week if I don't wear it every day, otherwise gain/loss is zero. It's all in the regulation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
This.
Old 4 January 2020, 08:31 AM   #9
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Out of the dozens of watches I’ve owned the most accurate by far was my blue Tudor Pelagos. It took 2 weeks to gain 1 second. Remarkable. Unfortunately it was uncomfortable to wear so I sold it.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 08:41 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. No, I’m not worried at all but thought Tudor was less accurate than Rolex. Also wanted to know if this app is reliable. That’s all.

Both are new watches. Bought new from boutique so none had been regulated.
I think that you are confusing "accurate", as if it is an attribute that can be seen on your app.

An "accurate" watch will hold that same +3.1 sec day-in and day-out for a long period of time. This means that you can regulate it more precisely and be comfortable over-time that it is "accurate".

I'm not saying that one is more accurate than the other, only that they have not been regulated to the same spec on your app.
Old 4 January 2020, 08:49 AM   #11
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Tudor more accurate than Rolex

Is this app just a stopwatch calculator that compares your local watch time drift to the atomic clock? That's how watchtracker works. Accuracy is as perfect as physics can make it but precision is based on your ability to click when the time displayed is shown on your watch. The longer you let it go between measurements the more precision you get. 1 second reaction time error per day (extreme example) vs 1 second reaction time error every two days. The latter has 2x the precision.

Human reaction time is 215 milliseconds on average or 0.2 seconds. So if you make a measurement on there once a day and you're an average person your error would be about that. The microsecond of atomic clock error would be 5 decimal places to the right and negligible by comparison.
Old 4 January 2020, 09:05 AM   #12
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

I have a $45 Seiko that keeps better time than my GMT Master. I think we should definitely assume that a Seiko 5 is more accurate than a Rolex.

(I mean, obviously I'm being facetious about the conclusion, but I do love that my most accurate watch is also my cheapest. With this many tiny moving parts, luck is a meaningful part of accuracy.)
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 09:06 AM   #13
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
Just luck. Crown up, crown down. Too hot. Too cold. Give each a week in the wrist and take
Off same time each day and then see. Some weeks they run faster than others. Just noise as said earlier. Run for a week or two and then see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. Every watch will chart its own pattern of accuracy depending on wear, climate, positioning and activity.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 11:18 AM   #14
Jostack
"TRF" Member

Accuracy is a function of regulation. I assume manufacturers don’t regulate watches to their highest accuracy potential, but get it ‘in the ballpark’, and most of the time it holds to the published specification due to the precision adjustment and quality of the movement.
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 11:22 AM   #15
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

In my experience with personal recent purchases, the Tudors seem to be dialed in a bit better. Small sample group of 3 Rolex and 2 Tudor over the last year and half.
Old 4 January 2020, 11:45 AM   #16
Tortora
"TRF" Member

Their prices seem to be more accurate

Inviato dal mio LM-V350 utilizzando Tapatalk
Tortora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 11:50 AM   #17
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Here are some 1960s Seikos regulated to similar or better daily rates than the above: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=694443
Old 4 January 2020, 04:49 PM   #18
Rori
"TRF" Member

Every day I learn something new about watches thanks to you dear RF community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Out of the dozens of watches I’ve owned the most accurate by far was my blue Tudor Pelagos. It took 2 weeks to gain 1 second. Remarkable. Unfortunately it was uncomfortable to wear so I sold it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I think that you are confusing "accurate", as if it is an attribute that can be seen on your app.

An "accurate" watch will hold that same +3.1 sec day-in and day-out for a long period of time. This means that you can regulate it more precisely and be comfortable over-time that it is "accurate".

I'm not saying that one is more accurate than the other, only that they have not been regulated to the same spec on your app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Is this app just a stopwatch calculator that compares your local watch time drift to the atomic clock? That's how watchtracker works. Accuracy is as perfect as physics can make it but precision is based on your ability to click when the time displayed is shown on your watch. The longer you let it go between measurements the more precision you get. 1 second reaction time error per day (extreme example) vs 1 second reaction time error every two days. The latter has 2x the precision.

Human reaction time is 215 milliseconds on average or 0.2 seconds. So if you make a measurement on there once a day and you're an average person your error would be about that. The microsecond of atomic clock error would be 5 decimal places to the right and negligible by comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
I have a $45 Seiko that keeps better time than my GMT Master. I think we should definitely assume that a Seiko 5 is more accurate than a Rolex.

(I mean, obviously I'm being facetious about the conclusion, but I do love that my most accurate watch is also my cheapest. With this many tiny moving parts, luck is a meaningful part of accuracy.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I agree. Every watch will chart its own pattern of accuracy depending on wear, climate, positioning and activity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
Accuracy is a function of regulation. I assume manufacturers don’t regulate watches to their highest accuracy potential, but get it ‘in the ballpark’, and most of the time it holds to the published specification due to the precision adjustment and quality of the movement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP(Canada) View Post
In my experience with personal recent purchases, the Tudors seem to be dialed in a bit better. Small sample group of 3 Rolex and 2 Tudor over the last year and half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortora View Post
Their prices seem to be more accurate

Inviato dal mio LM-V350 utilizzando Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Here are some 1960s Seikos regulated to similar or better daily rates than the above: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=694443