The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 November 2017, 10:58 PM   #31
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have owned a Pelagos since introduction and have found the watch to be outstanding in every way. I have used it for most all activities and have never experienced excessive wear or scratches. I have been lucky not to smack a door or have another event that would damage any watch except maybe a G-Shock. I think some people forget that Tudor was not created to compete with Rolex nor was it updated to compete. I appreciate things for what they are, not for what they are not. The Pelagos is a great dive watch in the sub 4K market and checks a lot of boxes. Rolex for me is always going to hold the crown but Tudor is also great in my opinion.
Well said
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 11:12 PM   #32
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
this is one of the most poorly responded threads i have ever read on this site. it is pretty shocking other than william's post. i won't call out individual responses but some are very off.

steel is 4-4.5 on hardness titanium is 6 (the higher the harder). my pelagos has far less scratches than my subc. it actually looks quite nice still. yes the clasp takes a beating being ss but so does the subc's clasp. i am someone who doesnt baby my watches either.

the fit of the bracelet is superior to any sport rolex produced. the design of the clasp with the spring loaded flexing is very nice.

the case, bezel, bracelet and crown is Ti as well. Only the clasp is SS (the case back may be as well i can't remember because I don't have the watch on). the power reserve is better than any rolex sub and the same as the new sea dweller. the lume is far better than any rolex ever made either (it isnt even debatable). better depth rating and legibility than the subc.

now it does not say rolex on the dial so perhaps that is where these comments originate from. for those who actually like dive watches it is a great purchase in my humble opinion. if this watch was crap I would not defend it or own it.

to the op, perhaps that watch was really abused badly. compare it to another badly abused sub and ill bet they look the same.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 11:41 PM   #33
jets
"TRF" Member

My daily driver is a 3rd gen titanium x33. Barely scratches and who cares if it does. Barely feel like it's there and I work on a paving crew most days when I'm not on the road. When the Pelagos was released I thought it was a sort of pilot project for a Rolex they planned to release and it turns out that the SD50 is similar in size and etc. Maybe they learned something about bracelet size and the market for a watch with those proportions. Easy to say now I know however it's what I was thinking. The lume on the bezel is great and the SD would be awesome to have it but they have to give Tudor some advantages to sell some watches too.

I think it's great that Tudor is not just rebranding the same Rollies with a different movement and 'surviving' as it were - they're actually making some cool stuff!
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 11:57 PM   #34
colberki
"TRF" Member

Pelagos case back is also made of steel.
colberki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 11:58 PM   #35
Sherpa23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I had the first gen Pelagos for several years before it was available in the US. Titanium is a great material for a watch. Whoever posted that titanium is softer than steel is off base. Titanium is harder than steel, is much more dent resistant, is a great deal stronger (depending on the alloy used, of course) which is why it can be lighter than steel - because they can stretch it thinner to have the same strength properties for a finished shape.

After three years, mine looked better than any Rolex I’ve owned. I owned a deep sea at the same time and I ended up selling it because it was like having two of the same watches and I liked the deep sea more.

If you want one, you should buy it. They’re great watches
Sherpa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 12:33 AM   #36
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Whatever the wear and tear , it can be always polished like new. Its a great watch and Ti is very comfortable.
Old 22 November 2017, 12:43 AM   #37
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
How does the titanium Pelagos hold up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
this is one of the most poorly responded threads i have ever read on this site. it is pretty shocking other than william's post. i won't call out individual responses but some are very off.

steel is 4-4.5 on hardness titanium is 6 (the higher the harder). my pelagos has far less scratches than my subc. it actually looks quite nice still. yes the clasp takes a beating being ss but so does the subc's clasp. i am someone who doesnt baby my watches either.

the fit of the bracelet is superior to any sport rolex produced. the design of the clasp with the spring loaded flexing is very nice.

the case, bezel, bracelet and crown is Ti as well. Only the clasp is SS (the case back may be as well i can't remember because I don't have the watch on). the power reserve is better than any rolex sub and the same as the new sea dweller. the lume is far better than any rolex ever made either (it isnt even debatable). better depth rating and legibility than the subc.

now it does not say rolex on the dial so perhaps that is where these comments originate from. for those who actually like dive watches it is a great purchase in my humble opinion. if this watch was crap I would not defend it or own it.

to the op, perhaps that watch was really abused badly. compare it to another badly abused sub and ill bet they look the same.

This. Exactly this. Eliot is spot on.

Some of these posts are just unproductive rubbish.

I have had my 2 line Pelagos for 4 or so years and while it is in a heavy rotation, I do not baby my watches at all. As a matter of a fact when I am looking to grab one for a situation that may become abusive I grab for my Pelagos.

Mine came as part of a trade where I sold my dssd. Yes the weight was an adjustment. But this is as much watch as anyone will ever need. Holds up wonderfully and looks way better than some other watches I have put thru the same abuse.

I went with this to try to replace the void left by the dssd clasp. Though not as nice as the “adjust on your wrist” clasp from the dssd the “float” setting on the Pelagos is awesome.

It does look worse than normal in these pics as I was winterizing my tractor, mowers and car with it on and have not cleaned it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 12:48 AM   #38
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Spot on!

I think Titanium might look like it scratches easier than SS, but often it is the oxidization layer that is being scratched more than the finish itself, if I'm not mistaken. In the past, I've simply taken a school eraser to take off some of those marks, and it's worked.

Any watch you abuse, will show wear. The Sub is not immune to it.

I know the Pelagos doesn't have the snob appeal of the Sub, but some of the comments just aren't fair. It's less than half the price of the Sub, and is definitely value for money. I say this as someone who has both a Hulk and Pelagos in the collection. You don't have to knock on the Pelagos to protect the aura of Rolex - they both have their places.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 12:59 AM   #39
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Agree with William, Eliot, and Brandon above. Making a judgement based on how one watch looks from a few pictures posted on a watch forum is ludicrous at best.

There are Rolexes that have been beaten to death, too. I've seen it happen. If you can't take care of watch, or don't know how to wear it properly, then any nice watch can be turned into a piece of be crap.

If you're a hater and you've owned one, OK, I can respect that, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. But, if you haven't, and you're running down a watch you know nothing about, please, keep your thoughts to yourself. The OP asked a question and those types of comments are not helpful.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 01:01 AM   #40
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
My own experience is with a GMTc and the Pelagos, both bought around the same time. Here's how they have held up over the last couple years. GMT is worn mostly at work or when I'm out, Pelagos on weekends and whenever I'm active (biking, swimming, working around the house.)

GMT
- Bracelet rather scratched, especially PCLs.
- Clasp is even worse, my MB Pro has made a mess of it!
- Case is in decent shape
- Bezel & Crystal are perfect, like new

Pelagos
- Bracelet somewhat scratched, nothing like the GMT
- Clasp is pretty scratched, again my MB Pro must be made of something harder than steel! (LOL)
- Case has some hairline scratches
- Bezel has some little nicks, crystal is perfect

Given the difference in usage I'd say the Pelagos has held up very well. There's no way I can say the Rolex is more durable - the bracelet looks far worse. I didn't buy either of these watches so I could post pictures online, they are meant for wearing. I'd buy the Pelagos again in a heartbeat. (But likely the SD43 will soon join it...)
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 01:13 AM   #41
Star Ferry
Banned

A Blog to Watch did a review on the new pelagos 2 years ago. (What follows is the opinion of their reviewer only)

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/tudor-p...-watch-review/

Quote:
Being a titanium sport watch, you have to be okay with scratches, as titanium is softer than steel. In the few weeks I wore the Tudor Pelagos, I found it to be a magnet for small scratches, especially on the bracelet. I like a watch with some wear, and I think scratches are all part of the experience when you buy a tool watch. If you like your watches to remain pristine, titanium may not be the best choice.

>Worst characteristic of watch: The titanium scratches easily.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 02:01 AM   #42
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
A Blog to Watch did a review on the new pelagos 2 years ago. (What followers is the opinion of their reviewer only)

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/tudor-p...-watch-review/
Not sure why he said titanium is softer than steel. I’d be willing to bet that he doesn’t know that clasp is actually steel, and he’s counting the big clasp as part of the “bracelet.” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen complaints of the Pelagos’ titanium getting scratched, and then we get pictures of the steel clasp.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 02:19 AM   #43
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
A Blog to Watch also had a separate article explaining materials used in watches. They apparently had a materials engineer speak to this, they say:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/watch-c...ined-titanium/

"Grade 5 titanium has around 35 Rockwell C (Rc) hardness. Steels have a range of hardness from low values all the way up to 55 Rc for hardened carbon steels to 65 Rc for tool steels and even higher for special steels used for knifes (e.g. D-2 tool steel, S30V knife steel). Gold, platinum and aluminum are so soft that they are usually not even shown on the same Hardness scale (there are many hardness scales)."

Are there any materials engineers on board that can explain this to some of us lay-persons? They note in the article that there are many hardness scales. Do any of these scales give a better representation of what a watch owner could/should expect to see?

At the end of the day, I don't think it really matters. The Pelagos is a fantastic watch with an extraordinarily comfortable bracelet. Any added scratches on the bracelet can be brushed out if it bothers the owner.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 03:10 AM   #44
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Ti is used because of its low density, magnetic and corrosion resistance. Steel is harder and stronger. It's all about what you want.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 05:15 AM   #45
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I'll be honest. I don't even see that much difference in wear from my pm pieces over my steel ones.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2017, 05:49 AM   #46
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

So glad that those who actually own or have owned a Pelagos have chimed in. The only scratches I have on mine, are on the steel clasp. The case and bracelet are as good as they were on the days I bought them. My steel watches all have more scratches
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 01:46 PM   #47
morimotom
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

What scale are you referring to?

On the Rockwell scale titanium is typically in the mid 30’s, while quality steel is at least in the mid 50’s, often close to 60.

Ti is more wear resistant, but not harder.
morimotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 01:58 PM   #48
morimotom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
A Blog to Watch also had a separate article explaining materials used in watches. They apparently had a materials engineer speak to this, they say:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/watch-c...ined-titanium/

"Grade 5 titanium has around 35 Rockwell C (Rc) hardness. Steels have a range of hardness from low values all the way up to 55 Rc for hardened carbon steels to 65 Rc for tool steels and even higher for special steels used for knifes (e.g. D-2 tool steel, S30V knife steel). Gold, platinum and aluminum are so soft that they are usually not even shown on the same Hardness scale (there are many hardness scales)."

Are there any materials engineers on board that can explain this to some of us lay-persons? They note in the article that there are many hardness scales. Do any of these scales give a better representation of what a watch owner could/should expect to see?

At the end of the day, I don't think it really matters. The Pelagos is a fantastic watch with an extraordinarily comfortable bracelet. Any added scratches on the bracelet can be brushed out if it bothers the owner.
In the knifemaking world, metals are defined by their characteristics, one of which is their Rockwell hardness, or RC.

Other characteristics...
Edge retention: how long a metal will retain a fine edge
Wear resistance: a materials ability to resist removal.
Toughness: resistance to fracture
Strength: resistance to deformation

Ti is measures high on wear resistance, toughness, and strength, but cannot be hardened so has poor edge retention. It is easy to scratch and bend (compared to steel), but difficult to break or tear.

There are ti alloys which have better properties such as beta-ti and sm-100, the latter of which can be hardened to RC 60+.

Typically, the higher the hardness, the better the edge retention, but the lower the toughness, ie, it is brittle and prone to chipping and breaking.

The hardest steel I know of in knifemaking is ZDP-189, which is RC 67-69. Takes an extremely fine edge, holds it for a long time, bit is prone to chipping during hard use. Also a nightmare to sharpen.
Old 23 November 2017, 02:04 PM   #49
morimotom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milov View Post
Oh Dear! My right hip is made from Titanium!
Hahahah I don’t think you have to worry. In addition to being very tough, ti is also basically corrosion proof.
Old 24 November 2017, 01:57 AM   #50
Michielk
"TRF" Member

Hello,

I don't have my Pelagos yet, but I have done some research.

The case/bracelet of the Pelagos is made from Grade 2 Titanium. Its hardness (Rockwell B) is 80 (higher number = harder). The clasp and case back are made from stainless steel, I'm not sure what quality.

The case/bracelet of the Rolex Submariner is made from Stainless steel 304L. Its hardness (Rockwell B) is 82. I assume the clasp is made from same material.

So is the 304L Stainless Steel harder than Grade 2 Titanium? Yes, but not that much. Is all stainless steel harder than grade 2 titanium? Definatly not.

Questions: What material is the pelagos clasp made off? and the submariner one?
Michielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:08 AM   #51
Flstfirider
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
My own experience is with a GMTc and the Pelagos, both bought around the same time. Here's how they have held up over the last couple years. GMT is worn mostly at work or when I'm out, Pelagos on weekends and whenever I'm active (biking, swimming, working around the house.)

GMT
- Bracelet rather scratched, especially PCLs.
- Clasp is even worse, my MB Pro has made a mess of it!
- Case is in decent shape
- Bezel & Crystal are perfect, like new

Pelagos
- Bracelet somewhat scratched, nothing like the GMT
- Clasp is pretty scratched, again my MB Pro must be made of something harder than steel! (LOL)
- Case has some hairline scratches
- Bezel has some little nicks, crystal is perfect

Given the difference in usage I'd say the Pelagos has held up very well. There's no way I can say the Rolex is more durable - the bracelet looks far worse. I didn't buy either of these watches so I could post pictures online, they are meant for wearing. I'd buy the Pelagos again in a heartbeat. (But likely the SD43 will soon join it...)

I too bought my Pelagos and GMTC about the same time... completely agree with the above post. I wear my Pelagos more than my GMTC and think that it hides scuffs and scratches better.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Pelagos!
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:16 AM   #52
Flstfirider
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michielk View Post
Hello,

I don't have my Pelagos yet, but I have done some research.

The case/bracelet of the Pelagos is made from Grade 2 Titanium. Its hardness (Rockwell B) is 80 (higher number = harder). The clasp and case back are made from stainless steel, I'm not sure what quality.

The case/bracelet of the Rolex Submariner is made from Stainless steel 304L. Its hardness (Rockwell B) is 82. I assume the clasp is made from same material.

So is the 304L Stainless Steel harder than Grade 2 Titanium? Yes, but not that much. Is all stainless steel harder than grade 2 titanium? Definatly not.

Questions: What material is the pelagos clasp made off? and the submariner one?
Rolex is now using 904L Stainless steel
Tudor Pelagos is grade 5 Ti
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:27 AM   #53
kwingy
"TRF" Member

I am also going to defend the Pelagos since I had a LHD and only let it go because my finances were in order to get another Rolex. I miss a lot of things with my Pelagos mainly the spring loaded clasp which was just genius, the amazing accuracy and power reserve, the incredible lume and more importantly the price. Had I been able to keep both financially I would have.
It was just a top top watch and all these comments about Ti being easier to scratch, so what if it were true...any watch of any brand will scratch if worn on a daily basis not sure why the negative comments about the Tudor being viewed again as something of a poor man's Rolex.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 02:32 AM   #54
Michielk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flstfirider View Post
Rolex is now using 904L Stainless steel
Tudor Pelagos is grade 5 Ti
Oh Ok, I'm sorry. I was misinformed.

904L SS should have a Rockwell B hardness of 70-90
Grade 5 Titanium has a Rockwell B hardness of 110

So yes, the titanium 5 will be quite harder than 904L
Michielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 06:00 AM   #55
morimotom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michielk View Post
Oh Ok, I'm sorry. I was misinformed.

904L SS should have a Rockwell B hardness of 70-90
Grade 5 Titanium has a Rockwell B hardness of 110

So yes, the titanium 5 will be quite harder than 904L
Not even close. The Rockwell B scale is used for testing soft metals such as aluminum and brass.

Grade 5 titanium (6Al-4V) has a Rockwell C hardness of 36.

Stainless steel would never be tested using a Rockwell B test.
Old 24 November 2017, 06:25 AM   #56
morimotom
"TRF" Member

Speculation, but Rolex 904L steel is likely in the range of Rockwell C hardness of 46-49. At this hardness it maintains workability during machining, but is hard enough to be scratch resistant.

Its no where near the hardness of a good knife blade, but doesn’t need to be, and in fact might be too brittle if hardened any further.
Old 24 November 2017, 12:51 PM   #57
Ginseng
"TRF" Member

I bought a Pelagos LHD this past summer and have been wearing it about 1/3 of all wrist time. The rest is distributed across 3-4 steel watches. I don't baby my watches nor do I abuse them. I work a desk and travel. I don't dive and except for work that puts me wrist deep in dirt or other stuff, I don't take my watches off. I wear my watch during sleep about 90% of the time.

I have handworked and finished titanium to make custom metalwork parts for flashlights, holsters, belt clips. I can tell you that even grade 2 titanium is light, tough, and resilient. It is also very difficult to bring up to a mirror polish. Much harder than any aluminum grade and harder than steel, IMO. This means moving up the sequence from filing and riffling, 320 grit up to 2,000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and polishing rouge.

All that said, if you look closely, the Pelagos has not sustained any more damage than steel. However, because of the depth of tone as a result of the surface oxide layer, any new markings are more visible. That is, the contrast of the scuffed, refreshed surface which is brighter against the surrounding aged surface makes it appear more visible thus giving the impression that there is more damage. Now, titanium in no way attains a patina like bronze. But the critical difference here is that steel is of a uniform tone. There is nothing to visually distinguish scratches and scuffs via contrast other than the obliteration of the brushing. That is what you're seeing on a steel bracelet.

This explains the ability to readily refresh the Pelagos bracelet through a low abrasion buffing with an eraser. You're wiping out the tonal contrast and "hiding" the scratches. You are not rebrushing by removing material. You are making it look like a steel bracelet that has seen a comparable amount of exposure.

Also, keep in mind that the hardness rating of the watch metal is only relevant when considered against the hardness of that which it comes in contact with. And I mean scratching hardness. If you lived in a world made of foam and leather, neither steel nor titanium would show visible wear for decades if not centuries. My work desk is wood veneer and my cuff usually covers my watch. So no wear to any watch on my wrist. My home office desk has a tempered glass, frosted top and my kitchen counters are granite. Against both surfaces, I have badly scratched steel and (my other) titanium watches comparably.
Ginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 01:42 PM   #58
gabbysplace
2024 Pledge Member

I had a Pelagos for a few years. Loved it. Was just a tad too big for me so I went with a 14060m. Anyway, no major issues with scratching. Wore it almost every day for 2 years. Ironically, the most scratched part was the stainless steel clasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gabbysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 01:50 PM   #59
Ginseng
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbysplace View Post
Ironically, the most scratched part was the stainless steel clasp.
Exactly this. Strange but so true and I can't really explain it.

The clasp looks worse than any other surface. The only one that comes close on my watch is the case back. When I do take my watch off for one reason or another, I fold up the clasp without locking it down and place it on a surface (always either wood or fabric). The dial is oriented toward the ceiling. This, apparently, is enough to create two scuff tracks on the case back.
Ginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2017, 11:12 PM   #60
JohnLT
"TRF" Member

Watch: time fly
After 4 years of wearing as a work watch(custom home builder) its held up well. My only issue is the coin edge bezel gets dinged easy. I've worn it carelessly as it is a tool watch. Other then that this watch is tough as nails.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0381.jpg (215.1 KB, 701 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0383.jpg (205.4 KB, 697 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0384.jpg (225.1 KB, 699 views)
JohnLT is offline   Reply With Quote