The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Would you flip 2 ROO's for a Datograph
Yes 42 31.82%
No 90 68.18%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 August 2017, 07:09 PM   #1
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Flip 2 ROO 44's for a Datograph?

I have not made a decision yet, so am just contemplating at this point. Would you flip both a RG 44 and Ti 44 for an ALS Datograph?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3873.jpg (218.7 KB, 811 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5651.jpg (135.0 KB, 809 views)
File Type: jpeg Untitled.jpeg (116.8 KB, 807 views)
File Type: jpeg Untitled2.jpeg (139.5 KB, 810 views)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 07:13 PM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
No not a chance. I have owned several platinum Datographs as well as a platinum Doublesplit and as nice as they are to look at I would take your AP's over one all day long. If you do get one you better get 30% off as well or you will take a bath on it. It is also a very hard watch to move if you decide to sell. Again amazing look and movement but no way for me.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 07:16 PM   #3
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
If you do that how are you going to come to the AP gtg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 07:17 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
No not a chance. I have owned several platinum Datographs as well as a platinum Doublesplit and as nice as they are to look at I would take your AP's over one all day long. If you do get one you better get 30% off as well or you will take a bath on it. It is also a very hard watch to move if you decide to sell. Again amazing look and movement but no way for me.
yeah, i do know resale is a concern. Thats my main hesitation with ALS in general. As much as we all like to think we won't sell our watches, most end up getting moved on at some point.
Old 23 August 2017, 07:19 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
If you do that how are you going to come to the AP gtg?

ill still have a 15400

This isn't something that is going to happen tomorrow or anything. Just future strategic planning. Ill have them at the GTG provided my RG is back from service by then.

Love the Dato, its admittedly a lot to give up for one though.
Old 23 August 2017, 07:19 PM   #6
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
I flipped my FC 44mm and a few other then one of the watches i got was the Dato up down dont regret down sizing the collection
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 07:23 PM   #7
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

I would also add that the 44s can be worn with many different "outfits" from casual to semi formal. The ALS looks like a pure dress watch. For me personally that's why I got rid of most of my watches with leather straps as I never dress up enough to be able to warranty wearing them. Makes the 44s (which I'm currently eyeing) a much better match. But that's me.
Foxman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 07:28 PM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxman2k View Post
I would also add that the 44s can be worn with many different "outfits" from casual to semi formal. The ALS looks like a pure dress watch. For me personally that's why I got rid of most of my watches with leather straps as I never dress up enough to be able to warranty wearing them. Makes the 44s (which I'm currently eyeing) a much better match. But that's me.
im pretty casual most of the time so that is a factor for sure. The dato though looks more casual than most ALS watches i have tried. Its dressier than a ROO, but still casual enough to wear with jeans and a t shirt. Not a beach watch or a probably a watch to wear with shorts though.

I do tend to favor rubber vs leather too.

Probably going to sit tight for a bit and not make any rash decisions i can't undo but just seeing other points of view to make sure I'm not crazy for thinking about it.
Old 23 August 2017, 07:32 PM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullasaif View Post
I flipped my FC 44mm and a few other then one of the watches i got was the Dato up down dont regret down sizing the collection
how long have you had the Dato?
Old 23 August 2017, 09:48 PM   #10
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I would not.
Old 23 August 2017, 09:53 PM   #11
gummy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
The AP 44mm RG and Ti are such a great combo...too tough to part with that pair.
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 10:17 PM   #12
texex91
"TRF" Member

Have you tried the Dato on? That would be step one.

Step two, you better buy used, as ALS secondary is terrible.

Third, have your head examined. NO, do NOT trade two 44mm's for a Dato!
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 10:25 PM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Have you tried the Dato on? That would be step one.

Step two, you better buy used, as ALS secondary is terrible.

Third, have your head examined. NO, do NOT trade two 44mm's for a Dato!
have tried it on a couple of times now... Trying to hold off on it at the moment, but once i try a watch on, its a problem as its no longer an abstract concept. I avoided actually trying it on for a long time though for that reason.

This helps though as saying it out loud (or typing in this case) does give you a better perspective on what makes perfect sense in your head.

Its probably my grail watch actually, but I'm thinking patience may be the best option here.
Old 23 August 2017, 10:29 PM   #14
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
have tried it on a couple of times now... Trying to hold off on it at the moment, but once i try a watch on, its a problem as its no longer an abstract concept. I avoided actually trying it on for a long time though for that reason.

This helps though as saying it out loud (or typing in this case) does give you a better perspective on what makes perfect sense in your head.

Its probably my grail watch actually, but I'm thinking patience may be the best option here.
Hey, if it's honestly your grail watch, go with your heart and grab it.

Maybe keep Ti 44 so you have a sports watch, flip the orange and add a little cash. 40% off minimum is where you need to be on Dato (and you will probably still lose).

No one is keeping you from a grail, you asked an opinion. But we all know what opinions are like--do what YOU like
Old 23 August 2017, 10:31 PM   #15
AshAP
"TRF" Member

People keep talking about 30-40% discount, who is going to sell the watch with that discount?

Old 23 August 2017, 10:32 PM   #16
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
People keep talking about 30-40% discount, who is going to sell the watch with that discount?

They probably won't. But on the secondary market when you go to sell...another story.

Dato is a killer watch. No one is disputing that.
Old 23 August 2017, 10:32 PM   #17
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Hard to say no when I was considering trading my 44 and 42 for a Zeitwerk or Dato... Deal seems fair from what I was looking around at, presuming you're not adding cash.
Old 23 August 2017, 10:42 PM   #18
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Old 23 August 2017, 10:42 PM   #19
Star Ferry
Banned

if you flip both your 44s and leave yourself only with a 15400, you'll probably feel like something is missing.

It'd be more fun to have the Lange in addition to a ROO or two
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 10:44 PM   #20
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post
Hard to say no when I was considering trading my 44 and 42 for a Zeitwerk or Dato... Deal seems fair from what I was looking around at, presuming you're not adding cash.

Mike you'd let your 44P go against a datograph? As much as I'd like a dato I don't like it as much as the 44P.

Old 23 August 2017, 10:54 PM   #21
tng11
"TRF" Member

While the Datograph is an amazing watch (just checked it out at the AD two weeks ago) and it is a horological marvel, I wouldn't personally do the trade as it doesn't seem to fit my lifestyle and age profile too well (my workplace is pretty casual and I wear an ROO no problem with a polo or dress shirt.) If you've been accustomed to wearing such sport watches, it might feel a little odd to suddenly flip to such a dressy watch. As some have suggested, maybe keep the Ti and trade something else for the Datograph.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 10:54 PM   #22
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Mike you'd let your 44P go against a datograph? As much as I'd like a dato I don't like it as much as the 44P.

Old 23 August 2017, 11:11 PM   #23
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

its a catch 22... if resale was stronger they would be impossible to find. Weak resale IMO is the only reason AD's don't have a wait list. Strong resale creates demand and then people would be waiting in PP like queues.

No AD i know of would get close to that discount though.
Old 23 August 2017, 11:13 PM   #24
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm leaning toward keeping one offshore, probably the Ti as its more of a daily piece and adding cash. Ill have to wait a bit to pull that off though. I would be tough to be without an offshore.
Old 23 August 2017, 11:18 PM   #25
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
how long have you had the Dato?

More than a month but I like the watch more than any AP I've owned

Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 11:39 PM   #26
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I do a lot of consideration, Ash... 3 pieces I'd love to have are the Dato, Zeitwerk and the PP 5905. The 44 is still here though
Old 24 August 2017, 12:18 AM   #27
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Personally I would keep the ROO's. So much of the allure for me with the Dato is the movement through the clear caseback and since you can't see it without taking the watch off, so much of its charm is constantly hidden

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 12:38 AM   #28
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
interesting subject , i recently consolidated and sold a couple of watches as well. My choices were Dato up/down rose gold or 5164R. Both beautiful watches, but i felt the Dato is a watch that is embedded in my head for years mainly because all the WIS influence, but i don't know if it really will stand the test of time and then when time of sale comes hmmm........ because no matter how much we think we love our watches there is always a pretty good chance that the time will come , i was very concerned of resale. 5164R is way more versatile and an easy sale if needed.

Let me give you an advise, if you buy the platinum 39mm "original Dato" instead , in mint condition. For one it will be cheaper and you will need just to flip one ROO, secondly your lost in resale will be very small , if any........ just my 2 cts

I might do that someday , but the original Dato ....in my opinion the best Lange option

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 01:00 AM   #29
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
I'd sell one of the 44s and the 15400 and then get the new 1815 Chrono black dial. The same movement as the Dato, WG case, amazing dial (I actually prefer it to the Dato), and you save what, $30k?

The 1815 Chrono black dial is damn close to perfection.

Old 24 August 2017, 01:05 AM   #30
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
I'd sell one of the 44s and the 15400 and then get the new 1815 Chrono black dial. The same movement as the Dato, WG case, amazing dial (I actually prefer it to the Dato), and you save what, $30k?
While I think the 1815 Chrono is stunning - I just don't think a Lange is a Lange without the Big Date complication. That's one of the most iconic characteristics of Lange - but that's just my 2 cents.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote