The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 November 2017, 12:58 PM   #1
HubbleNox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
No patience with SS Daytona

Anybody get tired of the SS games and upgrade to a two-tone or a gold model Daytona? It’s out of my budget, but the 116518LN is haunting my dreams. I’m starting to think about it how I can make it a reality!
HubbleNox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 01:42 PM   #2
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleNox View Post
Anybody get tired of the SS games and upgrade to a two-tone or a gold model Daytona? It’s out of my budget, but the 116518LN is haunting my dreams. I’m starting to think about it how I can make it a reality!
I did that with no regrets. Not right for everyone, or right for every situation, but can be a great alternative.

The WG/ blue dial Daytona is, IMO, a beautiful and great alternative to the market price of a SS Daytona.
Old 9 November 2017, 03:05 PM   #3
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I've seen TT Daytonas at the dealership for less than the cost of grey market stainless watches.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 03:18 PM   #4
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
The price of the SS Daytona on the grey market and the impossibility of getting one from an AD have made we want the WG blue dial Daytona. That watch is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 03:53 PM   #5
winger14
"TRF" Member

I've toyed with the idea of getting a TT daytona and putting it on a black rubber strap.
winger14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 03:57 PM   #6
Forum-Dweller
Banned

I'm considering the WG Daytona on OysterFlex that was announced at the last Baselworld. I'm waiting for the price to settle around 20-21k where it should be... a few $k over a RG Yachtmaster on the same strap.

It makes more sense to me than paying almost $20k for a new SS Daytona.
Forum-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 06:47 PM   #7
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
If something is important to you then you will wait for the piece.

I think we are getting a little guilty of expecting everything to magically appear on our wrist when we want it (myself included).

Personally I have gone through so many watches I forgot how special it is to want something and be willing to wait for it.

Sometimes I feel like the desire to own every new piece that comes out is killing my appreciation for the pieces that I own or the ones I should have kept.

If the SS Daytona is your desire just wait for it and you will appreciate it more than getting something you do not really want anyways.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 07:57 PM   #8
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post

I think we are getting a little guilty of expecting everything to magically appear on our wrist when we want it (myself included).

Personally I have gone through so many watches I forgot how special it is to want something and be willing to wait for it.

Sometimes I feel like the desire to own every new piece that comes out is killing my appreciation for the pieces that I own or the ones I should have kept.

If the SS Daytona is your desire just wait for it and you will appreciate it more than getting something you do not really want anyways.
couldn't agree more muzz! that is exactly my thoughts...I have a damn nice selection of watches including the white ceramic daytona but it is never enough. Lusting, wanting and hunting for a new piece is a lot of the fun in this hobby! There is always the next watch...I have tried this though, leave a watch at the bank for a few months then strap it on and bam....new watch feeling again!
Old 9 November 2017, 08:15 PM   #9
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum-Dweller View Post
I'm considering the WG Daytona on OysterFlex that was announced at the last Baselworld. I'm waiting for the price to settle around 20-21k where it should be... a few $k over a RG Yachtmaster on the same strap.

The Daytona has never grabbed me strongly enough to consider buying one, but i recently tried the WG OF and really liked it.

Like you, it will be “on the list” for serious consideration at a price around 20k

HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 08:17 PM   #10
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:

Sage advice. Particularly for those of us for whom patience is not a virtue
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 09:13 PM   #11
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Love the 904L Stainless!
Old 9 November 2017, 09:16 PM   #12
bluemartinifan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti View Post
couldn't agree more muzz! that is exactly my thoughts...I have a damn nice selection of watches including the white ceramic daytona but it is never enough. Lusting, wanting and hunting for a new piece is a lot of the fun in this hobby! There is always the next watch...I have tried this though, leave a watch at the bank for a few months then strap it on and bam....new watch feeling again!
A lot of wisdom and experience shared here
bluemartinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 09:37 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The Daytona is a great watch and a TT or PM one would work. I refuse to get involved in the silliness for the SS Daytona-C.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:01 PM   #14
slickrick68
"TRF" Member

Watch: anything shiny
A 116518 or 116519 is a nice addition to a collection compared to the ss prices as of late.
slickrick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:08 PM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Agree 100%!

I have been there and I can be patient
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:15 PM   #16
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti View Post
That is a great idea Andy, keeping a few pieces just outside of arms distance and reliving the excitement every few months. Wise advice.

A problem that is subtlety discussed here is that we bait our own waters with hype.

As an example, how many members here (myself included (can never stress that enough)) want an LVc now (or any other popular piece) only because it is hard to get. When these were sitting plentiful in the showcase 2 years ago we passed on them or sold/traded the ones we had. Almost every new release falls in to this situation as well.

Personally think I reached a point where I just need to appreciate what I have and not look for the next big ticket.

Doesn’t mean I will not enjoy seeing other people acquire their dream pieces because I really like that but chasing every new shiny SS sport piece has gotten old (or other new pieces).

Time to slow down my contribution to the mass consumption of these models.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:21 PM   #17
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
That is a great idea Andy, keeping a few pieces just outside of arms distance and reliving the excitement every few months. Wise advice.

A problem that is subtlety discussed here is that we bait our own waters with hype.

As an example, how many members here (myself included (can never stress that enough)) want an LVc now (or any other popular piece) only because it is hard to get. When these were sitting plentiful in the showcase 2 years ago we passed on them or sold/traded the ones we had. Almost every new release falls in to this situation as well.

Personally think I reached a point where I just need to appreciate what I have and not look for the next big ticket.

Doesn’t mean I will not enjoy seeing other people acquire their dream pieces because I really like that but chasing every new shiny SS sport piece has gotten old (or other new pieces).

Time to slow down my contribution to the mass consumption of these models.

Couldn't of said it any better. I am guilty of doing the same
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:27 PM   #18
tng11
"TRF" Member

I've decided to wait as well and enjoy what I have. I'll admit the WG Daytona has become more appealing in light of the difficulty of getting a SS Daytona at a reasonable price, but I think my heart is truly with the SS.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:28 PM   #19
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

I'm waiting, I just wish my AD would provide better information. I keep hearing, "spring", "summer", "fall", "winter", "spring" ....it's going to be 2 years from the time they said it will be here in a few months..."you're high on the list"...

I can wait, ...I think I can wait....AP has nice watches....aaahhhhh
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:35 PM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
The Daytona has never grabbed me strongly enough to consider buying one, but i recently tried the WG OF and really liked it.

Like you, it will be “on the list” for serious consideration at a price around 20k

I wore the white D500 for a few days and it's quite nice but I much prefer my LVc and I really can't understand what all the immense hype is about, and it really does pale in comparison to the above or any PM Daytona so if you can switch do not hestitate!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:47 PM   #21
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Good things come to those who wait! However, if I were contemplating premium prices for the Daytona C I would certainly consider a PM version as the premiums are getting into PM territory. I probably wouldn't consider a TT Daytona as I personally like TT Bluesy Subs and the new TT Yachtmaster more.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:57 PM   #22
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I wanted to go this route but my dad has a new black dial 116528 that he bought for me. Unfortunately not the panda dial but the other one that is available on the TT and with diamonds. Still a great watch so I cannot complain. I should've pulled the trigger on a black ceramic for $15k in the summer but I hesitated. I also passed on a Hulk for $7500 full set and look at them now. Just a terrible time to buy any SS watch. Even the standard 15400st and 5711s are all going for ridiculous prices compared to earlier in the year. I'll have to wait until after the holidays since we're in a seller's market right now. Buying a SS piece unless it comes from an AD is really throwing money away for the next few months. Patience is the key. Prices will come back down. Except for the Daytonas and the 5711 none of these watches are really rare.

In Europe, Wempe and the most of the high quality boutiques only have TT and PM models. Wempe only had a single 116710LN! Forget about finding even a regular Sub Date or ND in Europe. Nearly impossible! They have all of the DJ41s but I'm not interested in one right now. The DJ2s are the only watches that are going for bargain prices at the moment but I have a feeling the prices won't come back up on those given that the 41s are superior in every way.
Old 10 November 2017, 12:06 AM   #23
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:

Hey Muzz,,,,
nail on head buddy,,,,
i am a bit the same in respect of not making a watch purchase very exciting anymore,,
i think its a case of sometimes the thrill of the chase beats the actual purchase so i am going to try to have a couple of years before i add
another incoming and try to wear my 16013 more plus some 50s/60s 18ct dress watches that i need to wear,,
But Basel 2018 could change that,,,jay
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 12:09 AM   #24
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum-Dweller View Post

I agree, as of now they are artificially high. Should come down to low 20's.Can get discounted YG with bracelet for a few K more.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 12:43 AM   #25
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:

Good sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 12:44 AM   #26
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I wore the white D500 for a few days and it's quite nice but I much prefer my LVc and I really can't understand what all the immense hype is about, and it really does pale in comparison to the above or any PM Daytona so if you can switch do not hestitate!
For many (as Steve has said above) its about wanting what you can't have.

I've always admired the TT Daytona with the blue racing dial. Tried on a 2015 model yesterday with the old stlye bezel. I really liked it (admitted I prefer the current bezel style) but it felt almost inconsequential on my wrist compared to the RG Daytona on leather that I used to have.

Beautiful as it was, I was left a little "meh". Its probably why I've never even considered getting on a "list" for one. I'm not knocking the D500 in any way shape or form but if you can get a mint PM Daytona for not much more than a gray market D500, you'd be crazy not to at least give the PM option very serious consideration.

I'd also be interested to know how many D500 owners gain more pleasure from the hype surrounding their aquisition than the actual watch itself?

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 01:18 AM   #27
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post

I'd also be interested to know how many D500 owners gain more pleasure from the hype surrounding their aquisition than the actual watch itself?
50/50: Would absolutely be super dishonest with oneself to not realize half of the allure is the exclusivity and that "I was able to get one". With that said, I really really like the watch as well. I own the black D500 as well as the LVc. I love the hulk, but it's just not even close to as badass as the Daytona.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 01:26 AM   #28
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I’ve had Daytonas in the past. I’ve been waiting for a 116500 now for 7 months and don’t expect it for another 7months. The only other Daytona upgrade I’d consider is the platinum 116506 but that’s a whole ‘nother thread. Besides I’ve been waiting for my Broncos NFL season tickets for 11 years now - about half way there now.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 01:35 AM   #29
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
For many (as Steve has said above) its about wanting what you can't have.

I'm not an owner (yet), but exactly zero has to do with the hype for me. Hype and exclusivity had nothing to do with my decision to buy a Speedmaster, Sub, or my AP. They were all abundantly available at the time of purchase and I absolutely love them.

What matters to me is the watch, not some snooty "I have one, look how cool I am" mentality.
Old 10 November 2017, 03:17 AM   #30
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
I'm not an owner (yet), but exactly zero has to do with the hype for me. Hype and exclusivity had nothing to do with my decision to buy a Speedmaster, Sub, or my AP. They were all abundantly available at the time of purchase and I absolutely love them.

What matters to me is the watch, not some snooty "I have one, look how cool I am" mentality.
Honestly, outside of this TRF group, no one would know I had a "hard to get" Daytona (if I had the SS one) other than if I walked into a jewelry store. We think this knowledge and excitement is mainstream, but it really isn't.

The one buddy who noticed my watch in the ~year I've had it asked to see it. I handed it to him and he looked at it, complimented me on it, and handed it back. I am sure he didn't notice the extra pound of weight and think, "That must be platinum." And of course I didn't say anything.

My point? I doubt you would impress many people outside this forum with a hot Daytona, as most wouldn't even notice you are wearing a watch. Buy stuff for yourself!