The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 April 2012, 12:36 AM   #1
IWantOne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Moon Watch/Sub ND
M Serial No. Rolex Sub 14060M

I went into a out of town Jewelers to try my luck to see if they had a (new) Sub 14060M, they said they will contact a couple of other watch shops and get back to me.

I get a call a week later and was told they got hold of one, so I go to the jewelers to view the Sub, it turns out to be a M series (2007?) from Jakarta (460), the card is dated May 2008, the watch looks mint with seals intact, 1/2 of the QR code is still on the watch, there was only one standard Rolex book which did not have Submariner on it, the insides of the box and pillow was dirty and there was no hang tags either price/model no. tag or the red chronometer tag.

I told the owner that I expected a G series (2010) as he said the Sub was acquired by his watch contact in the last year, I told him the Sub book, the tags was missing and the box was not new. The owner said the watch is new but concedes the box was not but he will ask his contact about the missing items and as it is being sold as new will ask if they would give a 2 year warranty instead of 1.

The price that they quoted me was £3780 about 10% of the MSRP.
Sorry no pictures but do you think it is worth it?
I know this watch is now almost impossible to get hold of these days but it feels like I'm being sold a mint preown watch dress up as New.
IWantOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 12:45 AM   #2
Blue Owl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV 116610LV
I think £3780 is a bit high for Sub ND M series (2008-09). Missing items also could less the value of the watch. Just ask for another discount regarding the issues.
Blue Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 12:50 AM   #3
Speed
"TRF" Member

Plenty around as well
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 01:05 AM   #4
chillviper
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
I would go with one of the Trusted Sellers on this forum, as I have done. You will be able to get exactly what you are looking for, at the best price, with complete peace of mind.
chillviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 02:20 AM   #5
IWantOne
"TRF" Member

There problem is I'm looking for bnib and I know there are very few Sub 14060m left.
If it is preown that I will have to go for then the price has match accordingly.
Old 29 April 2012, 02:57 AM   #6
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantOne View Post
There problem is I'm looking for bnib and I know there are very few Sub 14060m left.
If it is preown that I will have to go for then the price has match accordingly.
Very few left? Not in my experience...I see them quite regularly in my local ADs.

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 03:01 AM   #7
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
plenty around here.

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 03:11 AM   #8
IWantOne
"TRF" Member

ecsub44

I live in London and believe me you rarely ever see a Sub 14060M or Sub C for sale in the chain shops like Mappin & Webb, Goldsmiths, Watches of Switzerland or big department stores Harrods and Selfridges.
Old 29 April 2012, 03:35 AM   #9
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantOne View Post
Ive seen atleast 1 at every AD I've been to in the past month. That's 6-8 stores. They aren't hard to find at all. Don't know where you've been looking but they aren't rare at all here. Also I wouldn't put too much into the serial number. Many times when a watch is discontinued they will use up the stocks of parts they have. This could mean a few older cases leftover get put into production. I dont know this to be 100% gospel but was told this by 2 different ADs when i asked if they had just kept them in the safe and was told they were new deliveries from Rolex even though most of that serial had been sold several years earlier. The serial can only approximate when a case was stamed. Nothig more. When the 40mm explorerII was discontinued I saw a few older serials pop up new at ADs right before the 42mm Exp2 was released.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 03:56 AM   #10
YoyoGift8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
it seems OP is from UK, availability of Sub ND maybe different from that in the US.
YoyoGift8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 04:00 AM   #11
ally
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoGift8 View Post
it seems OP is from UK, availability of Sub ND maybe different from that in the US.

I think that is very much the case here in the UK

They out there especially with smaller AD's and other dealers
16610 LV.
ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2012, 04:12 AM   #12
IWantOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Ive seen atleast 1 at every AD I've been to in the past month. That's 6-8 stores. They aren't hard to find at all. Don't know where you've been looking but they aren't rare at all here. Also I wouldn't put too much into the serial number. Many times when a watch is discontinued they will use up the stocks of parts they have. This could mean a few older cases leftover get put into production. I dont know this to be 100% gospel but was told this by 2 different ADs when i asked if they had just kept them in the safe and was told they were new deliveries from Rolex even though most of that serial had been sold several years earlier. The serial can only approximate when a case was stamed. Nothig more. When the 40mm explorerII was discontinued I saw a few older serials pop up new at ADs right before the 42mm Exp2 was released.
Which city are talking about as I'm from London England?
I know stock gets moved around especially when the shop gets their AD taken away but stock of 4 years old? (the card was stamped May 2008 from Jakarta)
There was no hang tags, OK the price/model no. tag I can understand but the choronmeter tag?
I'm no expert but there are some things you would expect when you buy a new Rolex like a clean box, pillow and polishing cloth, also the Submariner booklet that shows you how to read/use the bezel.
Old 29 April 2012, 04:45 AM   #13
ally
"TRF" Member

I am guessing this wasn't an AD and just a jewelery shop ?

Sounds like a non UK ore owned watch !!

Where was it ?

16610 LV.
Old 29 April 2012, 05:28 AM   #14
IWantOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally View Post
I am guessing this wasn't an AD and just a jewelery shop ?

Sounds like a non UK ore owned watch !!

Where was it ?

It wasn't a AD but from previous experience I thought they was getting the watch from a AD like what Grey dealers do.
The shop was in Enfield.

If I had £4190 I would shop at Wempe (AD) in Bond St. where I have been told they have a few left but I was also told that they were selective of who they would sell a Sub 14060M because they would suspect that the buyer just wanted to sell it on for more money as it is discontinued/sought after.
They want to sell the Sub to regular customers or tourists, I don't know if that is true, a sell is a sell and surely they are making enough money on stock bought at 2010 and early 2011 prices to worry about other people making money off their back.
Old 29 April 2012, 06:41 AM   #15
ally
"TRF" Member

I will PM you tomorrow if that's ok may be able to help out ?
16610 LV.