The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 December 2018, 04:11 AM   #31
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
Somebody already pointed out that most of the MVMT watches can be found on AliExpress without the MVMT logo ... I'd take a Movado over a MVMT any day ... well .. I actually own 2 Movado's ... :)
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 04:37 AM   #32
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
That's probably because you don't "have a significant stock portfolio with a strong dividend stream".
x2!
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 04:44 AM   #33
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Jeez, class warfare much? This feels like stalking

Quote:
That's probably because you don't "have a significant stock portfolio with a strong dividend stream".
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 05:03 AM   #34
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Millennials think MVMT watches are special, and they aren't the type to research watches or they would have bought an Orient Bambino. As someone said, it is all social media marketing.
The Millennial's I know research everything. They live on Google.

I think the MVMT phenomena is more following the herd than not researching value. Chasing a fad is not new. You probably had sea monkeys when you were a kid.

Quote:
That quote will haunt you for some time.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 05:08 AM   #35
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
x2!
x3.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 05:44 AM   #36
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On a positive note, if MVMT or Michael Kors introduces young people to watches, then it is a gateway drug.

I could be wrong, but I genuinely don’t think there would be much cross over. It’s seen as a fashion accessory as opposed to a horological foot slope.

There may be some who as they get older want a nicer watch, but they would have probably made their way there anyway.

Seiko et al. are far better positioned to excite younger consumers about watches as functioning mechanical objects I think.

Don’t get me wrong though, as I hold no bad feeling towards them or DW watches. Quite the opposite in a way as i appreciate the ingenuity and marketing aptitude to pull off what those guys did. It’s easy to naysay and point out they are cheap branded base watches, yet people buy them, so they have found a foothold in the market and fill it with presumably a highly profitable product. It just isn’t for me.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 05:45 AM   #37
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
Unless you are talking about money, quantity over quality is never a good thing. They did well building a business but the reality is the product is crap. The fad will fade and they will be out of business before we know it competing at the Apple Watch price point.

P.S. Millennial here with a Rolex Sub.
Old 15 December 2018, 06:53 AM   #38
ian.thomas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Updated my signature to include this golden quote.

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 07:16 AM   #39
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
I don't think the criticism is in response to you being too high class
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 07:42 AM   #40
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I am happy young people are wearing watches period!!
It appears a small percentage do, but a larger percentage don't. Lets face it, most young folks either look at their Apple watch or phone for the time. If you go to a place with thousands of people, say Disney and people watch, you will see many folks with no watch on their wrist.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 07:57 AM   #41
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.thomas View Post
Updated my signature to include this golden quote.
Love it!
Old 15 December 2018, 07:57 AM   #42
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I don't think the criticism is in response to you being too high class
Old 15 December 2018, 09:38 AM   #43
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I'm a millennial and I abhor this brand. I will say that most people my age have zero interest in mechanical watches. But the substitute (from what i see) are smart watches, not overpriced quartz.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:48 PM   #44
Basher89
"TRF" Member

Watch: What’s next?!
Another millennial here - happily an “80’s baby” from ‘89

114060 - 1....MVMT - 0

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 December 2018, 03:38 PM   #45
kearez
"TRF" Member

MVMT is a great marketing company. They used social influencers to gain popularity and people started buying them. I’m a millennial I don’t wear my Rolex to work, I wear my Apple Watch. Only time I wear my Rolex is when traveling for meetings or afterwork/off days.

The majority of millennials I see are wearing smart watches apple or what ever there compition is.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 03:26 AM   #46
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I feel that millennials focus more on superficial trends. Not a scientific study, by any means, the youth are not opposed to wearing artificial diamonds, gold-plated jewelry, China look-a-like bags, etc. It may simply be the newly created market for these items, social pressure to fit in, or maybe we are creating a shallow culture that that is based on nothing more than material subterfuge. Immediate gratification is for the weak and those too lazy to work for the true rewards in this life. God help us!
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 08:36 AM   #47
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
I feel that millennials focus more on superficial trends. Not a scientific study, by any means, the youth are not opposed to wearing artificial diamonds, gold-plated jewelry, China look-a-like bags, etc. It may simply be the newly created market for these items, social pressure to fit in, or maybe we are creating a shallow culture that that is based on nothing more than material subterfuge. Immediate gratification is for the weak and those too lazy to work for the true rewards in this life. God help us!
You think millennials are materialistic??
Gold plated jewelry and knock-off luxury brand goods have been around for ages.

Not to make this into a giant debate, but it wasn't millennials that overextended themselves buying houses they couldn't afford 10 years ago. Every generation is driven by social pressures and unnecessary material goods.

Old 24 December 2018, 12:31 AM   #48
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
You think millennials are materialistic??
Gold plated jewelry and knock-off luxury brand goods have been around for ages.

Not to make this into a giant debate, but it wasn't millennials that overextended themselves buying houses they couldn't afford 10 years ago. Every generation is driven by social pressures and unnecessary material goods.
You don’t think this trend has come to the forefront with the kids of today? When I went to school 40 years ago, the height of excess was a $29 pair of Adidas sneakers. Children are much more aware of status and attaining it at their own peril. Social media, self absorption, and isolation are going to be our downfall, if it continues to influence our young people’s lives.
If I may, I believe this emptiness our young people feel, trying to live up to or cope with, are the cause and effect of school shootings and radical youth behaviors.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2018, 01:05 AM   #49
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You don’t think this trend has come to the forefront with the kids of today? When I went to school 40 years ago, the height of excess was a $29 pair of Adidas sneakers. Children are much more aware of status and attaining it at their own peril. Social media, self absorption, and isolation are going to be our downfall, if it continues to influence our young people’s lives.
If I may, I believe this emptiness our young people feel, trying to live up to or cope with, are the cause and effect of school shootings and radical youth behaviors.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree. Millennials and Gen Z are certainly more entitled, but they are just as materialistic as every other generation before them.
Every kid, regardless of generation, is hyper aware of status and wants to look cool and fit in by wearing the latest trend. That never changes.

Mostly every article I've read points to millennials saving more and spending money on life experiences. The generation before (im assuming you are a baby boomer by your sneaker comment) has saved virtually no money on average and is I'll prepared for retirement. That comes from overextending on material items.

Old 24 December 2018, 01:17 AM   #50
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I also want to mention, a $29 pair of Adidas 40 years ago translates to roughly $115 in today's money if you account for inflation. And $115 is essentially what a trendy sneaker costs if you walk into a store.

Old 25 December 2018, 09:51 AM   #51
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
We all know the MVMT is a shitter but kudos to the guys that started the company. They had an idea and used great marketing then sold out to Movado and Wa-lah! They made their American dream come true. My millenial nephew shuns them as well as Shinola and only lusts for a Rolex Gmtll. The only thing stopping him for now are the funds. After a little educating from his uncle he's now a proud owner of a Seiko SKX009. He doesn't worry so much about winding or hacking as he never takes it off his wrist.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 10:03 AM   #52
Oat Willy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 116610LV
They are severely hokey. What is possessing them to make chronographs with no markers on them?? I get 'minimalist', but without markers you can't time anything, so the chronograph features being completely useless are superfluous and are there for show only i.e; the antithesis of minimalist
Oat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2018, 01:20 PM   #53
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I think the 20s and 80s were no different than today in terms of excess being on trend. But that’s just an observation based in television

I’m technically a millennial (80s baby) but I don’t identify with millennials for the most part. Of course I think mvmt are hideous junk but I really applaud the owners for what they did there. Cash money baby.
Old 25 December 2018, 01:47 PM   #54
Rsubnodate
"TRF" Member

As a millennial, I will stick to Rolex while others my age go for MVMT and Shinola. I have nothing in common with people my age.
Rsubnodate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 10:02 PM   #55
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
You cannot buy history or tradition.

The only reason their ad compares themselves to an "expensive" watch is for the shock advertising value.

Nothing more than another fashion watch.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote