The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 12 December 2018, 10:22 PM   #31
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Great news. Happy that you have positive closure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 01:01 AM   #32
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
Always buy the seller first... ALWAYS!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly - but even that has a hole. When a trusted seller goes rogue. It has happened...if you’re curious I think there are some stickies still posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 01:11 AM   #33
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellp View Post
Hi all, great news to share. The wire was reversed, and the funds are back in my account! I’ll be happy to share findings and step-by-step if the community thinks it could be of value. This was an extremely fortunate case. Many lessons learned. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FinWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 01:15 AM   #34
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I agree wholeheartedly - but even that has a hole. When a trusted seller goes rogue. It has happened...if you’re curious I think there are some stickies still posted.

Then only shop at an AD...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 01:27 AM   #35
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I think that is best advice for 98% of watch buyers.

Old 13 December 2018, 03:43 AM   #36
Astro_Train
Banned

Watch: 116610
man glad to hear the OP got his money back.. I have purchased before on WUS and never had an issue. I went with an AD for my first Rolex. Sure is scary cause like someone else said, its tough for law enforcement to track these scammers down.
Astro_Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 12:44 AM   #37
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41, Datej
Happy ending eventually. As previously mentioned, it would be great to know how the initial contact took place and how the deal was set up as this would certainly have some tel tail signs of a scumbag in action for future reference.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Merkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:19 AM   #38
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Hi all, great news to share. The wire was reversed, and the funds are back in my account! I’ll be happy to share findings and step-by-step if the community thinks it could be of value. This was an extremely fortunate case. Many lessons learned. Thanks.
Glad to here and YES please share. This is what helped you and will also help others.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:44 AM   #39
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
That's fabulous! Just hope it doesn't give anyone a false sense of security. You are very fortunate indeed.
Old 15 December 2018, 02:11 PM   #40
mitchellp
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Greetings all, sorry for my delay. Hectic work schedule. Thank you all for your kind words. I am extremely lucky to have my funds back, so I hope I can help prevent cases like this for other members. I cannot explain the anxiety I was feeling, so thank you all for your support.

On 11/22, I reached out to seller Rode on the For Sale section. He advertised a near mint 114060, at $7,250 (red flag) I reached out same day, and told him I was interested, but wanted more photos. His email was Rod. ing6ix @ gmail. com, but his name on gmail came up as Dhandai P. (Female name). It figured it was his wife’s email. The phone number was registered as (7 5 7) 6 5 6- 1 4 2 3 (very important!!)

He later sent me photo “proof,” which was merely the watch and potential photoshop stamp (which wasn’t obvious to me at first). He then asked where I was from, and told me he could ship it FedEx overnight (important). Wanting to get a good deal and being naive to this process, I only asked more about the watch. He told me he bought in January, 2018, and “wore it four times.” Mind you, the warranty card’s name was blurred, so was location of purchase (red flag). He said he wanted to unload the watch for cheaper, as he needed to fund the purchase of a BNIB Pepsi GMT.

I then held a brief phone conversation with him, and we arranged the wire (mistake). He was very brief, and I sensed a slight accent. Nothing wrong, but I did not have a great feeling after this due to the short nature of our conversation. Again, I wanted what I thought was a good deal, so I soldiered on. He text me the wire information.

I took my time and did some research. I found out Dhandai was an actual person in Christiansburg, VA, so I figured the VA number was legit then, and this transaction was real. In my research, Dhandai seemed to be a nurse by trade.

Despite this, my gut told me this was too good to be true.

Dhandai reached back out to me on 12/3 stating the watch was still available, and that he would hold it for me. On 12/4, I went to the bank and made the wire. I sent him a confirmation, and he promised to “send the watch tomorrow morning when he gets into the office” (mistake). 24 hours go by (12/5) and I heard nothing. I politely asked the seller to send me the tracking details. He finally got back to me hours later and said: “here you go” and sent me a link to Light Pace Courier. This was when panic set in. First, we agreed fedex. Second, Light Pace Courier was obviously a fraud. It was written in poor English, and the site was garbage. Further, the contact number on the site led to some random guy in LA.

I immediately texted this individual to call me right away. Nothing. Within In panic, I drove to my local police station in DC right away, and was basically laughed at. They said they would not allocate resources to this, as it was under $10k and not highly important. With no other option, I called the local PD in Christiansburg, VA. This is where things got interesting.

The officer I spoke with spent a good hour talking through what happened. Christiansburg is a quiet town, so he asked the local resident. I gave him the wire address, and he decided that he would jot it down, and stop by to see what was going on.

An hour later, he called me to tell me that he interviewed Dhandai. He told me that this was in fact a scam, and Dhandai may be a victim of an online abusive relationship of some sort. She told him that she is dating someone online who had access to her account to receive wires. She “didn’t know the details.” He is likely not in the US. Likely the same guy I spoke with.

He assured me that the funds were still in her account, and that he warned her not to distribute or she will be in a world of trouble. I called my bank, the receiving bank, and tipped them off. Officers did their work, and two days later, an investigator was on it and the money was on hold. Two days after that, Dhandai went to her bank and money was sent back to my bank. Investigator stopped by the bank as well to confirm.

Look, in hindsight this was one of the dumbest things I’ve done. Greed can make us do crazy things. Please do not beat me up too much, as my intention is to help other people from making similar mistakes.

Here were some of the major issues:
1. I did not know the seller, and seller was not an established member. Also, I failed to search his phone number. If you have a second, look that number up, he scammed someone else in August, 2018. Huge mistake.
2. Inconsistency between email account and person from the phone.
3. Low-ball price on the watch
4. VA vs DC, not willing to do F2F
5. His post history did not mention that he owned a 114060. He said 14060 and a DJ
6. Post history was primarily congratulatory messages
7. Wire and not PayPal or more secure resource.
8. Didn’t ask for solid references. Only spoke with one individual.
9. Not trusting my gut

The list goes on and on. I’ll better develop this when I have more time, but I hope this does help.

Also, if you were ever a victim of something like this, and managed to salvage a portion or all, I’d recommend paying it forward if you can. I plan on using a portion of the funds to make a donation to the Christiansburg PD. Without the stellar officer that worked on my case, I’d still be out ~$7k.

Thank you guys/gals for your help. I made dozens of mistakes in this transaction, but many lessons learned. At the end of the day, don’t rush, do your research, buy the seller, and take each and every transaction very seriously. Scammers are sophisticated, some much more than my experience.

Also, I couldn’t post links due to my low post history. Someone please post this A-hole’s email and phone number so it shows on google for future.
mitchellp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:23 PM   #41
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks very much for the detailed exposè of this scammers methods. Your quick work and a good policeman were keys in restitution.

All good points for everyone to see - especially newer members.

My 2¢ to others is: pay the slight uplift to only deal with very trusted TRF sellers.

Old 15 December 2018, 02:29 PM   #42
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I’m guessing you wanted the scammer’s contact info added here?

Was his email: Rod.ing6ix@gmail.com ?

and phone number 757-656-1423 ?

I think you can start a new WatchOut thread with those details. And if the system blocks you from the links, just reach out to a Mod and share your post here.

Old 15 December 2018, 02:38 PM   #43
mitchellp
Banned

Thank you on both fronts 77T!
Old 15 December 2018, 03:04 PM   #44
simbal
"TRF" Member

good to hear, would be nice if you could share your experience.
simbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:14 PM   #45
kirikenz
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 16234
Wow, thanks for sharing that incredible story. Congrats on recouping your loss and good job taking action quickly.
Quote:
With no other option, I called the local PD in Christiansburg, VA. This is where things got interesting.

The officer I spoke with spent a good hour talking through what happened. Christiansburg is a quiet town, so he asked the local resident.
Leave it up to a good old boy to save the day!

Quote:
I plan on using a portion of the funds to make a donation to the Christiansburg PD. Without the stellar officer that worked on my case, I’d still be out ~$7k.
Good on you, that's awesome.

Quote:
Light Pace Courier was obviously a fraud
I could swear someone else reporting a scam on Watchout! was given a tracking number for this place, or perhaps very similar a few months back... I can't find it now though. All of these fake (or defunct?) tracking services sound the same.
kirikenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 07:55 PM   #46
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think its a 4+ hour drive from D.C. but I would always at least make the seller think I was only going to do a FTF. If he balked at that then deal is immediately off. For a too good to be true type of deal I would hop in the car and ask him to meet at a local bank or mall. Driving 4 hours sucks but you've seen the alternative. There is no legitimate reason that a seller wouldn't do a FTF deal.

Over here there was a story in the paper about about some guy offering a Patek 5167 for a pretty good price. The buyer agreed to meet at the Patek store at the Mall and then the seller claimed to have been injured in a car accident that same day. He asked if the buyer could come to his home to complete the sale. He showed up and they beat him up and took the money. Of course they had been communicating via WhatsApp so the perpetrators were arrested later that day. Still it's a solid reminder to meet somewhere safe and don't put yourself in a dangerous situation.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 10:00 PM   #47
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Thanks for all the information and I'm sure it will help others in the future. I know its embarrassing but you did nothing wrong. There are very nasty people in this world and God works in funny ways and they will get theirs! Feel good in knowing your in a very small group that acted fast enough to get things reversed. Most wait too long and by the time stuff is tracked down the money is long gone and as you have seen help isnt always readily available or willing. Again Congrats on your persistence. If your not too burnt out from the experience I suggest one of our very trusted sellers here or a AD if you can find what you want.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 12:29 AM   #48
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirikenz View Post

I could swear someone else reporting a scam on Watchout! was given a tracking number for this place, or perhaps very similar a few months back... I can't find it now though. All of these fake (or defunct?) tracking services sound the same.

Perhaps - but there are many services like it that are used by some 3rd tier carriers. I’ve done some buying online in China and they use similar trackers for low cost shippers.

While the one that the scammer used in this case was bogus, the key for the OP was that he was promised a top tier carrier.

Members here won’t have to keep up with scammer shippers if they choose only the most trusted sellers here on TRF.

Old 16 December 2018, 12:53 AM   #49
77T
2024 Pledge Member

-Banned user Rode

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
I think its a 4+ hour drive from D.C. but I would always at least make the seller think I was only going to do a FTF. If he balked at that then deal is immediately off. For a too good to be true type of deal I would hop in the car and ask him to meet at a local bank or mall. Driving 4 hours sucks but you've seen the alternative. There is no legitimate reason that a seller wouldn't do a FTF deal.

I must respectfully disagree on 3 points.

1. Why try to dissemble about a F2F in the first place? If you only deal with very trusted sellers, then a face to face isn’t necessary.

2. Never, never-ever meet an unknown person at a bank, mall or other commercial building. Always prearrange the meeting at a Police Station or Courthouse that supports safe transactions. There are enough Craigslist horror stories that makes meeting anywhere else a mistake. My local courthouse has metal detectors so that eliminates weapons - and plenty of Sheriffs Deputies on duty who will help if a crime is imminent.

3. A “too good to be true” deal is the first point where there is no point pursuing it. But very trusted sellers are market-wise, you aren’t going to see such a thing legitimately. If you do see that, then you are likely dealing with a hijacker posing as the trusted seller. The best defense against that is to ask for a picture via email/text - one that shows the listed watch set to a random time (and date if it has one) sitting on a plain piece of paper with the seller’s Name written upon it. Hijackers wont have the watch so it eliminates them.

Sorry to hear about the person you said was beaten and robbed in a ruse F2F - he was clearly fooled into trusting complete strangers.

Last edited by 77T; 16 December 2018 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: Typo’s
Old 16 December 2018, 01:46 AM   #50
Star Ferry
Banned

Thanks Mitchell.

Sounds like the officer went above and beyond. My apartment in Chicago was burgled, and CPD was reluctant to even take a report. I told them they were obligated to do so and that I needed it for insurance. No follow-up after the report
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 03:44 AM   #51
mitchellp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Thanks Mitchell.

Sounds like the officer went above and beyond. My apartment in Chicago was burgled, and CPD was reluctant to even take a report. I told them they were obligated to do so and that I needed it for insurance. No follow-up after the report
I’m so sorry. That’s terrible. Do you have cameras?

But you’re absolutely right. I was fortunate for many things in this case, one of which was the fact that the address provided was with a small town. If seller would have been located in a major city, no chase this would have been pursued. But I was even more lucky to have worked with an incredible PO. He truly went above and beyond.

The moral is be vigilant, don’t make such a huge mistake, but if you do, act fast and get creative. Luck has to be on your side.
Old 16 December 2018, 03:46 AM   #52
mitchellp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Thanks for all the information and I'm sure it will help others in the future. I know its embarrassing but you did nothing wrong. There are very nasty people in this world and God works in funny ways and they will get theirs! Feel good in knowing your in a very small group that acted fast enough to get things reversed. Most wait too long and by the time stuff is tracked down the money is long gone and as you have seen help isnt always readily available or willing. Again Congrats on your persistence. If your not too burnt out from the experience I suggest one of our very trusted sellers here or a AD if you can find what you want.
Totally. I’m going to keep saving to recoup the donation, but should be back in the market again soon. Learned valuable lessons. Fortunately, I did not have to learn the hard way.
Old 16 December 2018, 03:50 AM   #53
mitchellp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirikenz View Post
Wow, thanks for sharing that incredible story. Congrats on recouping your loss and good job taking action quickly.

Leave it up to a good old boy to save the day!

Good on you, that's awesome.

Yup, you’re right. Someone else posted about Light Pace Courier. I think it was from August? I may be wrong. Be safe out there!!
Old 16 December 2018, 04:18 AM   #54
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Thank you Mitch for all the details and your honesty, hopefully there will be others who learn from this.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:21 PM   #55
Psijason
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamster 300 Green
I am so relieved that everything worked out in the end. Every time I haven't listened to my gut in life I've been burned one way or another. The steps you took once you realized you were in a living hell are truly admirable. Thank you so much for sharing your story. It will undoubtedly guide my journey going forward.
Psijason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 06:56 PM   #56
Rocket launcher
Banned

You were so lucky to get your money back....
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:36 AM   #57
Bagman
Banned

Watch: Rolex Pepsi
Quote:
Greetings all, sorry for my delay. Hectic work schedule. Thank you all for your kind words. I am extremely lucky to have my funds back, so I hope I can help prevent cases like this for other members. I cannot explain the anxiety I was feeling, so thank you all for your support.

On 11/22, I reached out to seller Rode on the For Sale section. He advertised a near mint 114060, at $7,250 (red flag) I reached out same day, and told him I was interested, but wanted more photos. His email was Rod. ing6ix @ gmail. com, but his name on gmail came up as Dhandai P. (Female name). It figured it was his wife’s email. The phone number was registered as (7 5 7) 6 5 6- 1 4 2 3 (very important!!)

He later sent me photo “proof,” which was merely the watch and potential photoshop stamp (which wasn’t obvious to me at first). He then asked where I was from, and told me he could ship it FedEx overnight (important). Wanting to get a good deal and being naive to this process, I only asked more about the watch. He told me he bought in January, 2018, and “wore it four times.” Mind you, the warranty card’s name was blurred, so was location of purchase (red flag). He said he wanted to unload the watch for cheaper, as he needed to fund the purchase of a BNIB Pepsi GMT.

I then held a brief phone conversation with him, and we arranged the wire (mistake). He was very brief, and I sensed a slight accent. Nothing wrong, but I did not have a great feeling after this due to the short nature of our conversation. Again, I wanted what I thought was a good deal, so I soldiered on. He text me the wire information.

I took my time and did some research. I found out Dhandai was an actual person in Christiansburg, VA, so I figured the VA number was legit then, and this transaction was real. In my research, Dhandai seemed to be a nurse by trade.

Despite this, my gut told me this was too good to be true.

Dhandai reached back out to me on 12/3 stating the watch was still available, and that he would hold it for me. On 12/4, I went to the bank and made the wire. I sent him a confirmation, and he promised to “send the watch tomorrow morning when he gets into the office” (mistake). 24 hours go by (12/5) and I heard nothing. I politely asked the seller to send me the tracking details. He finally got back to me hours later and said: “here you go” and sent me a link to Light Pace Courier. This was when panic set in. First, we agreed fedex. Second, Light Pace Courier was obviously a fraud. It was written in poor English, and the site was garbage. Further, the contact number on the site led to some random guy in LA.

I immediately texted this individual to call me right away. Nothing. Within In panic, I drove to my local police station in DC right away, and was basically laughed at. They said they would not allocate resources to this, as it was under $10k and not highly important. With no other option, I called the local PD in Christiansburg, VA. This is where things got interesting.

The officer I spoke with spent a good hour talking through what happened. Christiansburg is a quiet town, so he asked the local resident. I gave him the wire address, and he decided that he would jot it down, and stop by to see what was going on.

An hour later, he called me to tell me that he interviewed Dhandai. He told me that this was in fact a scam, and Dhandai may be a victim of an online abusive relationship of some sort. She told him that she is dating someone online who had access to her account to receive wires. She “didn’t know the details.” He is likely not in the US. Likely the same guy I spoke with.

He assured me that the funds were still in her account, and that he warned her not to distribute or she will be in a world of trouble. I called my bank, the receiving bank, and tipped them off. Officers did their work, and two days later, an investigator was on it and the money was on hold. Two days after that, Dhandai went to her bank and money was sent back to my bank. Investigator stopped by the bank as well to confirm.

Look, in hindsight this was one of the dumbest things I’ve done. Greed can make us do crazy things. Please do not beat me up too much, as my intention is to help other people from making similar mistakes.

Here were some of the major issues:
1. I did not know the seller, and seller was not an established member. Also, I failed to search his phone number. If you have a second, look that number up, he scammed someone else in August, 2018. Huge mistake.
2. Inconsistency between email account and person from the phone.
3. Low-ball price on the watch
5. His post history did not mention that he owned a 114060. He said 14060 and a DJ
6. Post history was primarily congratulatory messages
7. Wire and not PayPal or more secure resource.
8. Didn’t ask for solid references. Only spoke with one individual.
9. Not trusting my gut

The list goes on and on. I’ll better develop this when I have more time, but I hope this does help.

Also, if you were ever a victim of something like this, and managed to salvage a portion or all, I’d recommend paying it forward if you can. I plan on using a portion of the funds to make a donation to the Christiansburg PD. Without the stellar officer that worked on my case, I’d still be out ~$7k.

Thank you guys/gals for your help. I made dozens of mistakes in this transaction, but many lessons learned. At the end of the day, don’t rush, do your research, buy the seller, and take each and every transaction very seriously. Scammers are sophisticated, some much more than my experience.

Also, I couldn’t post links due to my low post history. Someone please post this A-hole’s email and phone number so it shows on google for future.

No one in this group will beat you up. I’ve been there. Not just with Watch’s.... a great deal is hard to pass up. Hats off to the police Dept in Christiansburg is the real hero.
Send those gentlemen a ham for Christmas. Happy for you.

Richard B.
#15203 Date, #216580 Explorer 2 (PVD’d), #16710 Pepsi, #16710 Coke, #16750 Rootbeer, #218238 yg President
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 02:13 PM   #58
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
But I was even more lucky to have worked with an incredible PO. He truly went above and beyond.
Yep, I'd be sending him a sizable gift card/basket for sure! Glad it worked out in your favor with him on your side.
Sadly, that is certainly the exception and not the rule in these type of situations. Now go buy a lotto ticket!
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 12:43 PM   #59
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Wow, congrats (lol) on getting your money back! Christiansburg PD deserves a round of applause for actually doing police work!
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 04:57 PM   #60
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Wow, could imagine your anxiety.
I was just so stressed reading about your unfortunate experience.

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers

Sent from my TRT-LX2 using Tapatalk
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote