The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 December 2018, 12:12 AM   #1
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Blancpain chrono thoughts

I have been looking at Blancpain pieces a little more seriously recently. I went into their NYC store this week and was impressed. They have some beautiful watches and I love the fact they produce unique pieces and very small limited numbered editions. I like that it is a more discrete brand, has history (I know, technically only to the 80s...) and finishes seem good.

Where do Blancpain sit in your heigherachy? I know they are Swatch group but so are Breguet so I don't discount the brand purely for the Swatch linkage.

I already have a nice dress watch in a Patek 5396r so am not considering their formal pieces but I do like the look of Blancpain chronos.

Any thoughts? Am I mad?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_14122018_091011_(725_x_725_pixel).jpg (186.5 KB, 213 views)
Old 15 December 2018, 12:32 AM   #2
AltiTudor
"TRF" Member

I just traded in two pieces to purchase a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, so I'm right there with you. I think they are great watches, closer to my AP than to anything else I've owned. And, the Leman you showed is fantastic — go for it!
AltiTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 12:32 AM   #3
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I think Blancpain is all over the place. I like the old 40 mm LE FF but that is about that.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:12 AM   #4
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

You're not crazy at all. Blancpain is a fantastic brand who makes great sport and dress pieces. They certainly don't have the popularity of PP, AP or Rolex, but that's part of the charm to me.

Hierarchically, I place them in the same category as AP (which some may consider blasphemous).

I will say that, unless it's a boutique limited edition model, certainly go grey market for your purchase.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:16 AM   #5
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I really do like some of their watches, especially the Big Date Aqualung. Something simple yet restrained and refined.
Old 15 December 2018, 05:51 AM   #6
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
I think Blancpain is all over the place. I like the old 40 mm LE FF but that is about that.
How so?
What exactly do you expect them to manufacture – just the FF, but with 60 different variations like Rolex?
They make a diverse range of styles to cater for a diverse range of preferences.
You need to remember, we’re only a very small section of the total market all manufacturers cater for.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 06:09 AM   #7
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I'm currently wearing the Fifty Fathoms chrono, it's not a feature I use that much, but when I do, I appreciate the legibility. Accuracy has been beyond "superlative".
The Lemans big date chrono is on my wish list, with either dial...but def buy on the secondary market, where it can be had for less than $6k.

Old 16 December 2018, 02:28 PM   #8
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. I’m considering the split second at the moment as it looks like a great piece but I am struggling to find much info on it.
Old 16 December 2018, 07:31 PM   #9
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
I'm currently wearing the Fifty Fathoms chrono, it's not a feature I use that much, but when I do, I appreciate the legibility. Accuracy has been beyond "superlative".
The Lemans big date chrono is on my wish list, with either dial...but def buy on the secondary market, where it can be had for less than $6k.

Lovely piece
Old 17 December 2018, 02:52 AM   #10
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Lovely piece
Agree that is very nice. The piece that caught my attention initially was the split second in the first post. They are listed at $10-15k where a non split second seems to be about half that. I have a Speedmaster so perhaps the regular chrono is similar(ish). Split second seems like a very cool complication though.