The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 30 April 2012, 09:03 PM   #1
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Time to be controversial, why do you all love Panerai

I have noticed that the Panerai has become the most common default back up for most TRF owners behind their Rolex. I have also read how it is only relatively new to the market which makes the achievement even better.

While I like the look, I just don't get how one is any different to the next? Cant see why you would ever need more than one as every model looks the same to me, or am I missing something? I am also indifferent towards the crown design on many of them. Rolex's have many differences in style colour/size etc as do all other makers PP, AP, CV, GP etc.

Speaking of different Rolex's here is one that is for sale in Australia at the moment that is quite out there. Interested to see if people would buy it because it is different or not for the same reason.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DRAGON-YE...#ht_956wt_1127
Old 30 April 2012, 09:28 PM   #2
tranny
Banned

Watch: 116509,A21330,MVQV
I don't love Panerai. I think it's a beautiful big watch, though, and I defniitely like bigger watches.
Old 30 April 2012, 09:46 PM   #3
dimitros
"TRF" Member

Watch: NDSub/PAM176/R1931
I'll bite
Rolexs are pretty similar.
Submariner = explorer with rotatable bezel, different materials, but more or less same movement!
GMT - sub with 24 hour bezel
yachtmaster = submariner with white gold bezel.

turnograph = datejust with a bezel
president= datejust with the day

Yachtmaster 2 = ugly POS
Skydweller = ugly expensive POS

That said I love my ND sub.

PAM has an iconic design, and the straps!!!
different cases, luminor vs radiomir, slightly different case shapes
huge size
Sub minutes or not,
bezel or not ie Submersible
and an infinite number of straps.
Fine entry models don't have in-house movements - whatever.
First Daytonas weren't inhouse...

OK fine Pams look more or less similar. So far I have only one Rolly, and one PAM. If I get another watch anytime soon, my wife will kill me. But it will probably be a base of a different brand... PP perhaps?

I love both rollie and Pams, but you don't have to make it rain on our parade.
I don't "get" Omegas or breitlings. I respect the moonwatch, but would never buy one. Breitlings are way too busy. They aren't for me, but I don't question the people that love them.
Old 30 April 2012, 09:47 PM   #4
hng
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sports Rolex
Why? Simply because of its simple look. I also like to think about what strap am I using for tomorrow kind of fun.
Old 30 April 2012, 10:02 PM   #5
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
By the way I am a fan, just having a but of fun. They all look good, dare I say like a 911 Porsche (devil in the detail). Agree with the comment many Rolex's look the same I would agree there are maybe only 3 or 4 real families of Rolex's, change points only in colour, and bezel design.

I come from the school of one from each brand. So a PAM will be on my list.

I put this on the Rolex section and the moderators have thrown me to the attack of the PAM lovers.........
Old 30 April 2012, 11:45 PM   #6
rulessapt
"TRF" Member

Watch: u c
Any difference you see between most models is usually minor.
The dials are (on the popular 44,45 and 47mm) easy to read. Simple an' legible.

Straps. Straps. Straps.
There is a plethora of choice, price from low to high and easily changed. With a Luminor, you score a screwdriver and usually an extra strap. How's that for encouraging an owner to become tactile with their watch?
Rolex, well, you score a steel bracelet, like it or lump it. It's expensive and not necessarily comfortable.

The cool thing is that here on TRF, you don't HAVE to own a Rolex, a Panerai is fine.
I like it here and you'll see too that most members here, even those fervent Panerai Passionista will still welcome you and encourage you to buy a Panerai, then nuture that into convincing you that you need more straps, then you need another model, more straps.
Hmm, I think it might be a disease where we welcome anyone to the dark side, 'cause most of us are stuck here...
and lovin' it.

Welcome Craig, come on in bloke, no storm to weather here, just laid back, casual friendly helpful types. Noone really gives a toss if you own a base model or an expensive special edition, we seem to appreciate them all.

Did I mention straps?

cheers
richard

Last edited by rulessapt; 30 April 2012 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: typos...straps, did I mention straps.Weird illness
Old 30 April 2012, 11:48 PM   #7
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

All look the same?

Three distinct styles (Luminor, Radiomir, Submariner) with more subtle variations (eg, 1950s, 372 style). Different dial colors and designs. Manual or automatic. Inhouse or modified outsourced. Different case materials (SS, Ti, yellow gold, rose gold, platinum). Straps and bracelets.

Yup. Once you have one, you got 'em all.
Old 30 April 2012, 11:55 PM   #8
rulessapt
"TRF" Member

Watch: u c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
All look the same?

Three distinct styles (Luminor, Radiomir, Submariner) with more subtle variations (eg, 1950s, 372 style). Different dial colors and designs. Manual or automatic. Inhouse or modified outsourced. Different case materials (SS, Ti, yellow gold, rose gold, platinum). Straps and bracelets.

Yup. Once you have one, you got 'em all.
Ohh no, I just bought another Rad. It's similar to the other Rad, but simpler, no second hand, different movement, thinner, sandwich dial rather than painted.
It's very similar, they even take the same size straps, what a wonderful world.
Old 1 May 2012, 12:03 AM   #9
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
My addiction is the fault of bodybump...

At first I share your sentiments. They did all look the same to me. As time went by and countless hours reading about the model, I learned more about their difference. The luminor case, Radiomir, 50s case etc....

There's a fun factor to panerai... It looks better on leather or rubber strap as opposed to Rolex looks better in stainless bracelet. Hence, its fun customizing the watch with different straps. Bodybump even went as far as having his PVD which looks gorgeous I think..

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
Old 1 May 2012, 12:12 AM   #10
mfer
"TRF" Member

I guess I just buy what I really like. I really like Rolex Subs and GMTs, so I could see collecting many varities of them.

I really like Panerai Luminors and Radiomirs, so I can collect several of them as well.

I think that is why it is called "a collection"...
member#3242
Old 1 May 2012, 12:41 AM   #11
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
At first you may think they are all the same but when appreciate its design. You will realize that some changes like thicker hands or thicker case or change in lume make a huge difference
Old 1 May 2012, 02:00 AM   #12
eric23
"TRF" Member

I like Panerai for straps! I change mine everytime I put it on.
Old 1 May 2012, 04:48 AM   #13
Billythekid
"TRF" Member

I love pams because of their crownguards and case you can keep looking at them and admiring their simplicity and grace

Sent from my 
Old 1 May 2012, 09:28 AM   #14
watchdaddy1
Banned

Watch: strap whore

Straps,straps&more straps..Sandwich dials,Base mvmnts, the whole 9 yards

I JUST LOVE THEM PERIOD
Old 1 May 2012, 12:06 PM   #15
andrew79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
the looks, the history they shared with rolex, strap-changing experience.... that's enough for me to like it..... sure, I've posted the same question like this back in 2010....
Old 1 May 2012, 01:44 PM   #16
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

For me its very simple. Its a brand where the watch, the look, the straps, the camaraderie of bumping into people on the street - all have the COOL factor that other brands just don't seem to have.
Grand Seiko
Old 1 May 2012, 02:07 PM   #17
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
the looks, the history they shared with rolex, strap-changing experience.... that's enough for me to like it..... sure, I've posted the same question like this back in 2010....
AGREED!!!!

I'm a big PAM head, but, I will say this as my 2 cents..

Better to have 1 or 2 and enjoy them rather than a whole collection of them.

For me, Panerai's started getting REAL boring as I approached 7 of them at one time.. After selling a 000, 359 and 005 I can say I appreciate them more again? After a while they DO start looking too similar.. And this is coming from a hardcore Panerai guy.. I guess it can apply to anything however, too much of anything isn't necessarily a good thing. I decided to cut my collections down, and I appreciate everything so much more!
Old 1 May 2012, 04:18 PM   #18
Watch Fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Panerai are totally cool! The whole "strap" thing, which is great fun, as well as the simple elegance of a Panerai is all part of the attraction. I love mine.
Old 2 May 2012, 12:43 AM   #19
toulouse

Watch: 210, GMT2C
I LOVE Panerai. I wish I had more money to spend on a couple more. Maybe every year or two I can add something, but I really see myself having more than one. The strap changing is what makes you feel more connected to your watch (and for me, winding my watch every couple of days does too), I think the reason it becomes an addictive hobby isn't by accident. We become strap enthusiasts too! I don't know of any other watch that offers this kind of connectivity.
That said, one day I would like a Rolex. Maybe a vintage model I can wear Bond style with a nato strap. SS bracelets for me are just too damn blingy and I scratch them up.
Old 2 May 2012, 01:28 AM   #20
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Oh, there are MANY differences from model to model...
Old 2 May 2012, 01:33 AM   #21
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by toulouse View Post
I LOVE Panerai. I wish I had more money to spend on a couple more. Maybe every year or two I can add something, but I really see myself having more than one. The strap changing is what makes you feel more connected to your watch (and for me, winding my watch every couple of days does too), I think the reason it becomes an addictive hobby isn't by accident. We become strap enthusiasts too! I don't know of any other watch that offers this kind of connectivity.
That said, one day I would like a Rolex. Maybe a vintage model I can wear Bond style with a nato strap. SS bracelets for me are just too damn blingy and I scratch them up.
That's a good point as well... I have endless strap options, and they all look great and change the look of the piece each time.... I'm spoiled however as it almost set a big standard for buying future watches now... Depending upon the piece, I tend to sway away if there aren't viable strap options lol
Old 2 May 2012, 02:26 AM   #22
Nicekettle
"TRF" Member

Watch: kettle never boils
I love my 338 for the combination of materials used,style of numerals,sandwich dial,size ,
versatility,etc etc.
I work in an environment that I see literally hundreds of very expensive watches worn every week - mostly Rolex.I have only seen 3 or 4 Radiomirs in the past year.That adds to the allure for me.Relatively few people recognise the brand yet.The only Rolex that I give a second look to are the 60's Explorers and the latest edition Explorers,but nothing has grabbed me like a Radiomir.
Old 2 May 2012, 02:28 AM   #23
Nicekettle
"TRF" Member

Watch: kettle never boils
I agree that if I ever did get a Rolex it would be hanging on a collection of Nato's!
Old 2 May 2012, 03:43 AM   #24
nick c
Banned

Its a big beast
Old 2 May 2012, 04:14 AM   #25
ghotihead2001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breaking bad
its all about the style for me....classic, timeless italian design. I love my yachtmaster, its beautiful but it just doesnt have the same feel of...i dont know, panache might be the right word
Old 2 May 2012, 07:51 AM   #26
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

It's unique & one bad a$$ watch:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00057-20100824-0956.jpg (60.0 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2018.jpg (69.1 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2330.jpg (77.9 KB, 448 views)
Old 2 May 2012, 08:34 AM   #27
LNX

Watch: Panerai 177
When I went to buy my first expensive luxury watch recently (had a TAG before) I looked around quite a bit at several brands. I had narrowed it down to a Rolex, BUT THEN I SAW A PANERAI. I ended up spending about $3K more than I was going to on a Rolex, but once I saw the Panerai brand I fell in love and couldn’t go for anything less.

The simple and classy design along with its size is what initially drew me in. As I began to research the brand I then found out about the strap aspect and there was no way I’d get anything but a Panerai for my first major watch purchase. Also the fact that there may only be a few thousand of a particular Panerai model produced versus a million of a specific Rolex model appealed to me.

Most of my friends haven’t heard of the brand, but that’s of no concern to me. The ones in the know realize the power of the Panerai
Old 2 May 2012, 08:37 AM   #28
caryyee
"TRF" Member

I love Panerai too, they look totally bad-ass!!! Just like the AP ROO. Unfortunately, with my smaller wrist size 17cm (6 3/4" for the Americans lol), they are too big for me to wear comfortably :-(
Old 2 May 2012, 08:41 AM   #29
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryyee View Post
I love Panerai too, they look totally bad-ass!!! Just like the AP ROO. Unfortunately, with my smaller wrist size 17cm (6 3/4" for the Americans lol), they are too big for me to wear comfortably :-(
I don't know about that, Cary. There are guys out there sporting out the 372 with wrist sizes smaller than yours....it looks good. You should give it a shot.
Old 2 May 2012, 12:49 PM   #30
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I don't think my 6.5" is too small for Panerai.

Closed Thread