The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 July 2017, 01:39 AM   #1
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202
Is it really impossible?

Hello All,

This is the first time I post here on the Patek section but I've been following it for some time.
I've been trying for a while to source or at least have my name put on the waiting list for the 5711 (blue dial) but was never really successful. So I decided today to call as many ADs as possible. I went on the Patek website and got the number of their ADs in Europe, Middle East and Asia. I ended up calling more than 50 ADs and I only managed to have my name put on the list in 3 or 4 stores (including the Geneva salon)!!!!! And the waiting time is 3-5 years! Add to that I think the ADs that took my name will never contact me. I know I still have the USA ADs to call but to be honest I got tired of the same answer and I think the situation will be the same in the USA.
How can this watch be that hard to get? I see it all over the internet (mainly instagram) and I wonder how is everyone managing to buy it! I know I can buy it from a grey dealer but to be honest I find it ridiculous to pay more than 10k over the retail price to get the watch, also I prefer to have the certificate of origin under my name.
Is there anything else that I can do to get this watch? Any help or advice from your side would be great.

There's as salesman from Italy that told me: You only dream of this watch, it is impossible to find it. hahahahah. I guess he might be right...
dr.ns23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 01:47 AM   #2
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Tell the salesman from Italy he is full of crap! This is not a rare watch. I owned one and really liked it but IMO the most hyped up watch on the planet and I love Patek. It is impossible to find sitting in a showcase but with patience you will get one. In some instances if you pay in advance and can wait 6-8 months can possibly get your hands on one quicker. As we say in America..."Money talks and BS walks". A list is nothing but a bunch of names on a piece of paper. Best of luck with your search

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 02:00 AM   #3
Socal to az
Banned

Brian can get you one. With the brown box as well.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 03:18 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
A few years ago here waiting lists for the blue were around 6 months typically but then after Brexit that has tripled, plus you have Thierry saying he will limit production so Patek do not become a one man band which signifies to wealthy/prominent clients to snap these up and jump the line, and to resellers to mark premiums up and thus the carrot feeds the horse and on and on the circus goes.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 03:34 AM   #5
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

I've got a 5711/A bought at list from my AD. Picked up a few weeks ago. And it's a lovely watch.

But even as an owner I do not understand the extreme hype about this watch. Seriously - it's really NOT that nice. The 5711R is ten times the watch. And the 5227 Calatrava is also a nicer watch.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 03:41 AM   #6
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

I'm on a wait list here in the US for the blue dial I was told 10-12 months wait typically, but now I'm thinking the white dial looks much better, it really pops especially with the black hour markers.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 03:43 AM   #7
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

It's not REMOTELY worth the hype. It's just not easy to get new in box from an AD is all. It's a very nice watch...thats about it. I'd far sooner grab a 5712 for currently similar money.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 03:56 AM   #8
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
I've got a 5711/A bought at list from my AD. Picked up a few weeks ago. And it's a lovely watch.

But even as an owner I do not understand the extreme hype about this watch. Seriously - it's really NOT that nice. The 5711R is ten times the watch. And the 5227 Calatrava is also a nicer watch.
Thanks for your reply. Do you mind sharing your ADs info with me?
Old 4 July 2017, 03:57 AM   #9
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
I'm on a wait list here in the US for the blue dial I was told 10-12 months wait typically, but now I'm thinking the white dial looks much better, it really pops especially with the black hour markers.
They are both really nice watches. I asked about the white one too and I think it's also very hard to find. Are you a regular customer at this AD?
Old 4 July 2017, 03:59 AM   #10
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeopardy View Post
They are both really nice watches. I asked about the white one too and I think it's also very hard to find. Are you a regular customer at this AD?
Yes I am. It's my local AD. I've been buying from them since 2006.
Old 4 July 2017, 04:00 AM   #11
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all the replies so far! I know it's an over hyped watch but I honestly like it but as I said I am not ready to pay high premium over retail. I would appreciate it if you could share with me some AD names that's if you think they might be able to help.
Old 4 July 2017, 04:01 AM   #12
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
Yes I am. It's my local AD. I've been buying from them since 2006.
Well that makes sense! My problem is that all of my watches are bought from different ADs or watch boutiques so basically I am not a regular customer at one AD!
Old 4 July 2017, 04:34 AM   #13
KarlS
Banned

Overhyped to a degree and I was never a Nautilus fan until I received my blue. I am a convert .....I am probably not s typical example as I have a fault strong spending history with my AD so the first one was not wait and i have just received the white which was 2 months. I think they are delivered twice a year and hence why incomings tend to cluster around April and October
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 05:14 AM   #14
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
.... i have just received the shite which was 2 months....
Surely it's better than that.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 05:21 AM   #15
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Freudian slip!!!! Edit done lol
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 05:22 AM   #16
Socal to az
Banned

It's the same hype as Hermes does with the Birkin bag. Nothing special about it but they have women spending 10s of thousands just to have the opportunity to be able to buy the bag.

If they increased production of this watch and had one sitting in every dealer showcase, they wouldn't sell at all. It's good marketing hype.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 05:50 AM   #17
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I literally have coffee running out of my nose now.
Old 4 July 2017, 07:26 AM   #18
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
It's the same hype as Hermes does with the Birkin bag. Nothing special about it but they have women spending 10s of thousands just to have the opportunity to be able to buy the bag.

If they increased production of this watch and had one sitting in every dealer showcase, they wouldn't sell at all. It's good marketing hype.
You're right, it's all marketing. But if the situation continues this way then it will be really hard to buy one. I still can't believe that I called 50 ADs with only few that took my name on the list. I am still trying to understand how I would ever be able to get this watch. And I am not buying it because it is hard to find, I want it because I genuinely like the watch.
I also think that grey dealers are over doing it with the pricing. If I could find one with a slight premium then I would consider it, but buying it for 35 or 36 k is honestly too much.
Old 4 July 2017, 07:31 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Garage Door is one thing but that's just abuse!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 07:40 AM   #20
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I was told a 10 year wait list, but this was at a Vegas pawn shop. They even had waitlists for fake Rolexes. Go figure.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 08:39 AM   #21
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The topic of how long to wait for a 5711/1A at an AD is quite a popular topic here on TRF and other watch forums.

As others have mentioned, it is easier to get this watch if you have an existing relationship with an AD, meaning you have purchased other watches from the AD, whether it is another Patek, a Rolex or any other watch brand that the AD happens to sell. If the AD buys/sells pre-owned watches, you can develop a relationship by buying or selling a pre-owned watch.

Most ADs have a list of existing clients who wants this watch, that they are unlikely to add a total stranger to the wait list. IMO the best strategy is to get to know an AD (visiting the AD is best, followed by phone call, followed by email) and have them get to know you over time. ADs like most businesses want long-term clients and not just a one-time shopper. Even if you don't purchase anything for the first 5 visits, as long as you get to know the salesperson and keep showing your interest, you are likely to be remembered compared to someone who randomly call them from a list on the Patek website.

Unfortunately most people want this watch yesterday and do not want to wait. If you are in a rush, just pay the few thousand dollar/euro/pound/franc premium. If you don't mind waiting, you will find a way to get it at retail price, although it may take a year or two.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 08:58 AM   #22
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post

I've got to agree

And the 5712 is growing on me
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 09:05 AM   #23
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Playing devils advocate a little bit, but are you sure you want this particular model. I just bought a blue 15400 and it really is a stunning watch. For me, I have tried the 5711 before and borrowed it from a friend for a week as well and I kinda got bored of it quite quickly.
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 09:07 AM   #24
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Someone on here referred to the 5711 as the Emperor's New clothes.... And although I wanted one more and more. Owning it - made me wonder what the fuss was about. That may be sacrilege to some - and I'm reluctant to say so, because I truely obsessed 6 months ago.... But now - I think I prefer the 15202!?

Or flipping for the 5712 - which ironically is a fair trade in UK these days

PS.
I waited about a year... But long AD history
Old 4 July 2017, 09:16 AM   #25
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Have to say I think the 5711 is every bit as good as the hype.
It is stunning on the wrist and is always special, moves from day to evening wear like very few - I even like the clasp which is very slim and I find extremely easy to use.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 09:20 AM   #26
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Have to say I think the 5711 is every bit as good as the hype.
It is stunning on the wrist and is always special, moves from day to evening wear like very few - I even like the clasp which is very slim and I find extremely easy to use.
You have a standard 5711/1A?

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 09:25 AM   #27
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyboy View Post
I've got to agree

And the 5712 is growing on me

As it should!

Old 4 July 2017, 09:34 AM   #28
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
As it should!

Love it

6 and 8 o'clock markers used to really bug me - and was all too uneven - now I just see depth... and more to love
Old 4 July 2017, 09:37 AM   #29
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyboy View Post
Love it

6 and 8 o'clock markers used to really bug me - and was all too uneven - now I just see depth... and more to love

Exactly! And, if you look at the watch from the 7am angle, it looks symmetrical, another interesting tidbit.
Old 4 July 2017, 09:45 AM   #30
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Exactly! And, if you look at the watch from the 7am angle, it looks symmetrical, another interesting tidbit.
Which I suppose is the "natural vantage point".
Hmmmmmmm