The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 May 2009, 02:32 AM   #1
Redrose
"TRF" Member

Checking to buy a used Rolex.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and have a question to ask please.
Is there any service provided by a Rolex Dealer to check the serial number of a used Rolex to find out if it's not stolen or loss ?
I'm looking to buy a Used Rolex but the owner doesn't have any paper or service record on the watch and I want to make sure this watch is not stolen or loss by the previous owner.

The person selling the watch is not original owner and have no paper on it.

Thanks for your inputs/advices.
Redrose.
Redrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2009, 02:48 AM   #2
Redrose
"TRF" Member

Checking a used Rolex before buying.

Is there any service provided by a Rolex Dealer such as checking the serial number to find out if it's not stolen or loss watch ?

I'm thinking of buying a usedd Rolex (around 20 years old) but the owner doesn't have any paper or service record and he is not original owner.

What if some day I need to bring the watch in to a Rolex dealer for service but find out this is a loss or stolen watch ?

Thanks for any input or advice.
Redrose.
Old 14 May 2009, 02:56 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I'm not sure how it works in Canada..

In the USA you would need to physically take a watch in to have the serial checked. They are then obliged to report to the proper authorities if it is on a lost or stolen register.

While some charge for this service, others do not.

I think that in this day and age, you are more likely to get a fake Rolex than a stolen one.. It is best to know the sellers reputation..
Old 14 May 2009, 03:21 AM   #4
janusinvestment
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 6538 Sub
Hi in order to answer your question, you need to get your hands on the watch and literally take off the band, on either side where the band attaches is the serial number and reference number, also you need to open up the casing and see if you have a real rolex movement in there if all matches you are good to go. If you can make the seller go and do all that and send you pictures that would be a good start but rule of thumb as soon as I get the watch I go through the motions that I just mentioned. Next best thing is buy with papers not foolproof but definitely a start. If you need more help let me know.
janusinvestment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2009, 04:54 AM   #5
jdrolltide3838

Watch: SS Daytona
What kind of Rolex are you looking to buy?
jdrolltide3838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Redrose
"TRF" Member

What if I take a chance and buy it without doing any serial check and one day down the road say 5 years from now that I need to bring the watch in a Rolex dealer for service and the dealer find out that the watch is a stolen or a loss, am I screwed ?

Thanks.
Old 14 May 2009, 09:49 PM   #7
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrose View Post
What if I take a chance and buy it without doing any serial check and one day down the road say 5 years from now that I need to bring the watch in a Rolex dealer for service and the dealer find out that the watch is a stolen or a loss, am I screwed ?

Thanks.
The rightful owner (or their insurance company) will still have a vested interest in the watch, it's not worth the hassle or risk.

I'd pass if you're reluctant to get it checked

Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 12:15 AM   #8
Redrose
"TRF" Member

Do the Rolex dealers have a list of loss or stolen watches and should they care if it's a loss or stolen watch because they can get at least $500 or more for service they provide ?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm more interested in buying a brand new one (around $8000) but can't afford it so I thought I will buy a used one ($2000)which is in my budget thinking some day in the future I can trade it in for new one or just get the used one upgraded to newer gold bezel or bracelet and polish it up to make it like new.

I know it's best to buy a watch with paper especially receipt but I see so many Rolex watches for sale out there without paper, does it mean there are mant peoples would still buy them without paper ?

Thanks.
Old 15 May 2009, 12:38 AM   #9
kzm40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrose View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and have a question to ask please.
Is there any service provided by a Rolex Dealer to check the serial number of a used Rolex to find out if it's not stolen or loss ?
I'm looking to buy a Used Rolex but the owner doesn't have any paper or service record on the watch and I want to make sure this watch is not stolen or loss by the previous owner.

The person selling the watch is not original owner and have no paper on it.

Thanks for your inputs/advices.
Redrose.
The UK number to check on a serial number is '01322 553454', and I guess there's no reason why you can't ring it from another country.
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote