The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 September 2019, 09:33 AM   #1
unlisted
"TRF" Member

A Lange dealer/boutique reccomendations?

It seems a few dealers have lost Lange the past couple years... Currently living in a state that doesn't have any dealers or boutiques within several hundred miles.

Having never bought a Lange, and wanting to purchase new, I'd like to find a dealer/boutique I could establish a relationship with. Obviously, I'd like a nice price consideration (on a Saxonia Thin 37), but post-sale customer service is top priority.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
unlisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 10:34 AM   #2
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Timeless Luxury Watches of Plano Texas is an AD, and Dan the owner Is a great guy. Check them out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:01 AM   #3
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
Check your PM!
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 11:49 AM   #4
Talbel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txkill View Post
Timeless Luxury Watches of Plano Texas is an AD, and Dan the owner Is a great guy. Check them out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plus one here. Been dealing with Dan, Anna and the gang at Timeless for 5 or 6 years. Really couldn’t ask for a better experience.
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 06:59 AM   #5
agentmeister5
"TRF" Member

It looks like Timeless Luxury Watches doesn't sell Lange watches anymore. The brand is no longer listed on the site.
agentmeister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 07:06 AM   #6
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I think it is Westime in La Jolla that sells Lange. Either them or CJ Charles. It depends on where you are in Cali, near La Jolla, LA, or SF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlisted View Post
It seems a few dealers have lost Lange the past couple years... Currently living in a state that doesn't have any dealers or boutiques within several hundred miles.

Having never bought a Lange, and wanting to purchase new, I'd like to find a dealer/boutique I could establish a relationship with. Obviously, I'd like a nice price consideration (on a Saxonia Thin 37), but post-sale customer service is top priority.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 08:07 AM   #7
Talbel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentmeister5 View Post
It looks like Timeless Luxury Watches doesn't sell Lange watches anymore. The brand is no longer listed on the site.
This is correct. They just dropped ALS within the past week or so and are bringing in Vacheron.
Old 9 October 2019, 12:06 PM   #8
Justindo
"TRF" Member

As my dealer has been recently dropped by Lange and I'm in the market for an 1815 Annual Calendar, I too would love a recommendation for a great dealer. PM is fine and thank you in advance.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 12:56 PM   #9
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbel View Post
This is correct. They just dropped ALS within the past week or so and are bringing in Vacheron.
That doesn't seem like a fair trade
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 02:48 PM   #10
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wha?

That's not a fair trade at all.

What the heck happened? They're both Richemont brands...
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 04:52 PM   #11
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
That doesn't seem like a fair trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Wha?

That's not a fair trade at all.

What the heck happened? They're both Richemont brands...
True. They are getting a better brand that sells a lot more than Lange. I am sure the store is devastated.
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 04:54 PM   #12
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMike View Post
True. They are getting a better brand that sells a lot more than Lange. I am sure the store is devastated.
I'm curious, though, they literally just got Lange a year ago. And actually quickly moved into selling a bunch of their pieces.

What happened?
Old 9 October 2019, 05:08 PM   #13
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
I'm curious, though, they literally just got Lange a year ago. And actually quickly moved into selling a bunch of their pieces.

What happened?
I have no idea, but it is indeed curious. If they lost Lange for excessive discounts, I doubt they would be getting VC.

As a guess, Lange is going to become even more of a niche with a clear focus on their boutiques over ADs (if the rumors are true, their upcoming sports watch will only be available to existing boutique clients). Hence why, from what I have read, Lange has been cutting a lot of ADs.
Old 9 October 2019, 06:39 PM   #14
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Word on the street is that Lange is closing or already has closed 1/3 of all their AD accounts, including some big ones, as part of their effort to revamp their distribution and attempt to mitigate the horrid secondary market values.
Old 9 October 2019, 06:39 PM   #15
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

So, I suppose, going back to the original intent behind this thread... Anyone have any Lange AD recommendations? Preferably those with Lange accounts still. :)
Old 10 October 2019, 01:13 AM   #16
Talbel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have no idea, but it is indeed curious. If they lost Lange for excessive discounts, I doubt they would be getting VC.

As a guess, Lange is going to become even more of a niche with a clear focus on their boutiques over ADs (if the rumors are true, their upcoming sports watch will only be available to existing boutique clients). Hence why, from what I have read, Lange has been cutting a lot of ADs.
I have known Dan for years and from everything I know, it was his choice. ALS took up a lot of floor space and they are also moving towards exclusives with boutiques. I am not sure that had any impact, but it would make sense. He picked up Blancpain a couple of months ago and now with VC, I think they are actually a better fit for his customer base. Just my take, but Dan is a very smart businessman and along with Anna, they have built an incredible business. I would trust the moves they are making are what is best for them and their business.
Old 10 October 2019, 02:19 AM   #17
billfredericks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss
Bought my saxonia thin from Shreve Crump and Low in Boston. Generally good experience during and after. I still pop in once a month to browse, etc.
billfredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 02:46 AM   #18
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

PM me-----I've got exactly what you need!
Old 10 October 2019, 02:47 AM   #19
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Word on the street is that Lange is closing or already has closed 1/3 of all their AD accounts, including some big ones, as part of their effort to revamp their distribution and attempt to mitigate the horrid secondary market values.
All true here!
Old 10 October 2019, 02:59 AM   #20
ReturningSon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, Rolex, Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
All true here!
Heard this as well when I was visiting one of the ALS boutiques. It has been mentioned before on other threads but the reason why the secondary values are so low is because of the AD's discounting more than ALS would want them to and Richemont has had enough especially since the brand is increasing in popularity. I am extremely fortunate to live near a actual Lange boutique and have bought a piece from them and i'm working on my second. The salespeople at the boutique are simply awesome and this is a brand that I feel I could actually benefit from a relationship with (unlike others).

When I was in there, the sales staff commented as much. They said that ALS just closed a midwestern dealer who was doing major $$$ business for Lange but he was discounting heavily. They didn't know who specifically but they said it was in the Midwest somewhere.
ReturningSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 03:15 AM   #21
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Happy to provide reference for my Lange AD who was fantastic getting me a Lange 1 last year. Fee free to PM me.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 04:38 AM   #22
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningSon View Post
It has been mentioned before on other threads but the reason why the secondary values are so low is because of the AD's discounting more than ALS would want them to...
I've believed this for a long time now: ALS prices weirdly. Many of their pieces that should sell much better are priced far too high for the market compared to their more popular competitors (Patek, and possibly even some other Richemont brands like VC and JLC).

ADs discount because they have to, not necessarily because they want to. Why would anyone *want* to leave money on the table?

Quote:
...and Richemont has had enough especially since the brand is increasing in popularity.
I love Lange, but from what I can tell, it's not increasing in popularity compared to other brands (even other Richemont brands). They're still weirdly positioned in the marketplace, and suffer from horrible marketing as they always have.

That said, I'd say Lange is still my absolute favorite of the high-end Richemont brands. And I want to see them succeed.
Old 10 October 2019, 05:03 AM   #23
ReturningSon
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, Rolex, Seiko
Quote:
I've believed this for a long time now: ALS prices weirdly. Many of their pieces that should sell much better are priced far too high for the market compared to their more popular competitors (Patek, and possibly even some other Richemont brands like VC and JLC).

ADs discount because they have to, not necessarily because they want to. Why would anyone *want* to leave money on the table?

I love Lange, but from what I can tell, it's not increasing in popularity compared to other brands (even other Richemont brands). They're still weirdly positioned in the marketplace, and suffer from horrible marketing as they always have.

That said, I'd say Lange is still my absolute favorite of the high-end Richemont brands. And I want to see them succeed.
Ive never purchased a Lange from an AD so I cant speak from personal experience but if AD's are losing their accounts, it is likely due to EXCESSIVE discounting. Dealers are looking to movie pieces. Obviously they would prefer to sell full price but if someone can walk in and buy a piece at 20% off while other places stop at local tax, then maybe that's why they are getting the axe as they are not "towing the line" so to speak.

Lange is becoming more popular but that doesn't necessarily translate to an immediate upswing in sales, more of a gradual one I would think. We are starting to see the secondary market values climb for select references, more and more press coverage on various watch blogs and even their Instagram is starting to pick up just a bit.

I agree with you on the marketing though. They have a horrible PR department (or maybe they don't even have one considering what we've seen). I don't have the answer (PR was never my forte) but maybe a famous German spokesperson? Actor? Isnt that magneto guy German?
ReturningSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 07:20 AM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Good to see them protect the brand but absent any form of marketing it is a wasted effort. Demand controls the need for a discount.
Old 10 October 2019, 08:32 AM   #25
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ive never purchased a Lange from an AD so I cant speak from personal experience but if AD's are losing their accounts, it is likely due to EXCESSIVE discounting. Dealers are looking to movie pieces. Obviously they would prefer to sell full price but if someone can walk in and buy a piece at 20% off while other places stop at local tax, then maybe that's why they are getting the axe as they are not "towing the line" so to speak.
I agree, but it goes both ways. Lange doesn't really support their prices, and ADs are forced to move languishing stock. This is no different from Rolex ADs having to move lesser models by dumping them on Greys (and the Greys then get some of the super in-demand models as a "bonus" leaving us collectors out to dust).

Quote:
Lange is becoming more popular but that doesn't necessarily translate to an immediate upswing in sales, more of a gradual one I would think. We are starting to see the secondary market values climb for select references, more and more press coverage on various watch blogs and even their Instagram is starting to pick up just a bit.
Again, I love Lange, and I do my part to promote Lange in my social circles... But I'm still not seeing Lange get more popular anywhere. Not in the media. Not on social media. Not anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Good to see them protect the brand but absent any form of marketing it is a wasted effort. Demand controls the need for a discount.
Agreed 100%.
Old 10 October 2019, 08:34 AM   #26
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
... EXCESSIVE discounting. ...at 20% off
FYI, I feel that 20% isn't truly considered excessive in the industry, unless that has changed in recent years?

20% has always felt like the standard if you ask nicely enough and/or have a relationship.

25% for really strong relationships (on common models, not on rarer hard to get ones).

Any higher than 25% has always felt excessive to me, and I only see that happening when someone really negotiates aggressively and potentially disrespectfully (towards the AD or the brand).
Old 10 October 2019, 12:20 PM   #27
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
I have known Dan for years and from everything I know, it was his choice. ALS took up a lot of floor space and they are also moving towards exclusives with boutiques. I am not sure that had any impact, but it would make sense. He picked up Blancpain a couple of months ago and now with VC, I think they are actually a better fit for his customer base. Just my take, but Dan is a very smart businessman and along with Anna, they have built an incredible business. I would trust the moves they are making are what is best for them and their business.
Thanks for the information. Personally, I think they will do indeed do better with Blancpain and VC.
Old 10 October 2019, 12:26 PM   #28
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Again, I love Lange, and I do my part to promote Lange in my social circles... But I'm still not seeing Lange get more popular anywhere. Not in the media. Not on social media. Not anywhere.
Like you, I love Lange. They are my second favorite brand (pretty easy to guess my favorite), but the reality is that they are not doing well. From everything I have read and have been told by a few people with no reason to lie, Lange is not profitable. The blogs love Lange, but it has meant very little in regards to sales.

It is good that Lange is trying to curb excessive discounts, but they caused the problem by over-pricing their watches and then having two prices rises in two years on a number of models
Old 10 October 2019, 01:57 PM   #29
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Maybe Lange will also start to think about not finishing their movements to such a high degree on their lower end models.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 12:45 AM   #30
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Like you, I love Lange. They are my second favorite brand (pretty easy to guess my favorite), but the reality is that they are not doing well. From everything I have read and have been told by a few people with no reason to lie, Lange is not profitable. The blogs love Lange, but it has meant very little in regards to sales.

It is good that Lange is trying to curb excessive discounts, but they caused the problem by over-pricing their watches and then having two prices rises in two years on a number of models

Totally agree, think they made a huge mistake w the price increases and need to suck it up and do a price reduction . Too much of a price difference between like-new pre owned and new from AD/boutique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote