The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 25 December 2007, 07:48 AM   #1
Rainer
"TRF" Member

Ikepod watches - What do you think about them?

Hello and Merry Christmas Rolex Lovers.

I just got my first Rolex. It's a 50 year old Oysterdate from a seller in Hong Kong (via Ebay). It cost me $850. I have to hand wind the watch and it's not even water resistant. The guy didn't even sell it with the steel bracelet but threw in a couple of fake alligator straps. The watch looks good though. So how's that for love?

On another frame of thought. I purchased an Ikepod watch (my first one also) but I've not heard much about them. Any experiences, advise or thoughts about them?

Sincerely,
Rainer in the US
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2007, 08:09 AM   #2
stewie

never heard of ikepod, can you post a couple pics of them?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Rainer
"TRF" Member

Here's the Ikepod alongside my first Rolex as well as alone front and back:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00233.jpg (80.5 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00231.jpg (71.3 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00232.jpg (55.9 KB, 185 views)
Old 25 December 2007, 10:45 AM   #4
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Never heard of Ikepod either. Judging by the pics it looks strange as a watch especially the caseback
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2007, 11:05 AM   #5
Rainer
"TRF" Member

From my limited research, all I've found so far that the company may have folded and are no longer manufacturing them so they are becoming valuable (so some people say). The other obvious details are that it's Swiss made and has the COSC certification.
Old 25 December 2007, 11:08 AM   #6
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
From my limited research, all I've found so far that the company may have folded and are no longer manufacturing them so they are becoming valuable (so some people say). The other obvious details are that it's Swiss made and has the COSC certification.
If they have COSC they are indeed interesting watches
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2007, 11:14 AM   #7
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
If they have COSC they are indeed interesting watches
+1
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2007, 11:15 AM   #8
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
I am quite familiar with them.

The company was re-formed a year or so ago, for the third time. They were always well-designed watches, though the production assembly was hit and miss. Mine failed, as did a friend's, and another friend has one running perfectly for over five years. My wife has an Ikepod, and our experience with the newest iteration of the company has been fairly good.

Ikepod watches are designed by one of the world's most famous designers, Marc Newson. He has designed restaurant interiors, furniture, acoustic soundproofing material, a concept car for Ford, and numerous other products. His work is in many major museums around the world, and his recent solo exhibition in New York sold out in a matter of days.

One of his first designs was the Lockheed Lounge (pictured). There were 10 originals. One sold for just over $100K in 2001, and another sold in 2005 for nearly $900K. When one came up for auction a couple of months ago, it was expected to fetch over $2 milllion. As you can see, his name is big.

Enjoy your watch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Newson_LockheedLounge%5B1%5D.JPG.jpg (28.8 KB, 182 views)
boa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Rainer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
The company was re-formed a year or so ago, for the third time. They were always well-designed watches, though the production assembly was hit and miss. Mine failed, as did a friend's, and another friend has one running perfectly for over five years. My wife has an Ikepod, and our experience with the newest iteration of the company has been fairly good.

Ikepod watches are designed by one of the world's most famous designers, Marc Newson. He has designed restaurant interiors, furniture, acoustic soundproofing material, a concept car for Ford, and numerous other products. His work is in many major museums around the world, and his recent solo exhibition in New York sold out in a matter of days.

One of his first designs was the Lockheed Lounge (pictured). There were 10 originals. One sold for just over $100K in 2001, and another sold in 2005 for nearly $900K. When one came up for auction a couple of months ago, it was expected to fetch over $2 milllion. As you can see, his name is big.

Enjoy your watch!

Thank you for you sharing your knowledge about this watch. I hope my watch would last me for a long time. I'll have to check on the model and serial to see how old this watch is already. Too bad about your watch and your friend's watch failing as these watches look and feel solid.
Old 25 December 2007, 05:50 PM   #10
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for you sharing your knowledge about this watch. I hope my watch would last me for a long time. I'll have to check on the model and serial to see how old this watch is already. Too bad about your watch and your friend's watch failing as these watches look and feel solid.
You're quite welcome, Rainer. I hope you enjoy yours for many years. The strap design on this watch is my favorite, and I'm not sure I've ever had more compliments on any watch than an Ikepod. In the event repair is needed, you might first try RGM Watches, as they are excellent. Ikepod can also lead you to their service center. They really are unique watches.

Best,
Howard
Old 26 December 2007, 03:13 AM   #11
Rainer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
You're quite welcome, Rainer. I hope you enjoy yours for many years. The strap design on this watch is my favorite, and I'm not sure I've ever had more compliments on any watch than an Ikepod. In the event repair is needed, you might first try RGM Watches, as they are excellent. Ikepod can also lead you to their service center. They really are unique watches.

Best,
Howard
Thanks again Howard for more resources about the Ikepod. One scaring thing I've come across while looking for more information about this watch is that there are replicas of them that look good. I have not held a replica in my hands so I can't tell, but it would be very hard to replicate the solid feel of the Ikepods. I can see through the small window on the back that this watch is real by the markings on some of the parts inside.
Old 26 December 2007, 03:39 AM   #12
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks again Howard for more resources about the Ikepod. One scaring thing I've come across while looking for more information about this watch is that there are replicas of them that look good. I have not held a replica in my hands so I can't tell, but it would be very hard to replicate the solid feel of the Ikepods. I can see through the small window on the back that this watch is real by the markings on some of the parts inside.
Indeed. Despite the fact that many turn their noses up at designs like Ikepod & Alain Silberstein, they seem to have quite an appeal for the replica wearers. Glad to hear you have a real one, which is most likely a base ETA movement.
Old 30 December 2007, 07:58 AM   #13
jordo9998
Banned

marc newsom designed the ikepod watches.. to make a long story short, they are fashion watches with cosc movements inside of them. I bought a megapode ikepod from neimans about 2 years ago but i then returned it after doing much research. The ikepod watch is very very hard to get repairs done on it as all the repairs take place from the top of the watch... if you have an outside watchmaker do the repairs there will be scratched left on the bezel of the watch... also the hands on the watch are sooo delicate not like other watch hands and they will damage those too most likely.. At the time i bought my watch ikepod was not doing so well as a company.. so I didnt know if they were going to be around for the long haul and if i needed parts for mine i would be outta luck.. Also, I have a friend who still has his ikepod and after a year of wear one of the little colored plastic pieces on the side pusher fell off and needed to be glued back.. they are not made the best for everyday wear.. but still till this day i miss it and its one of my most favorite designed watches with the mini window in the back..
jordo9998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2008, 03:38 PM   #14
Rainer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordo9998 View Post
marc newsom designed the ikepod watches.. to make a long story short, they are fashion watches with cosc movements inside of them. I bought a megapode ikepod from neimans about 2 years ago but i then returned it after doing much research. The ikepod watch is very very hard to get repairs done on it as all the repairs take place from the top of the watch... if you have an outside watchmaker do the repairs there will be scratched left on the bezel of the watch... also the hands on the watch are sooo delicate not like other watch hands and they will damage those too most likely.. At the time i bought my watch ikepod was not doing so well as a company.. so I didnt know if they were going to be around for the long haul and if i needed parts for mine i would be outta luck.. Also, I have a friend who still has his ikepod and after a year of wear one of the little colored plastic pieces on the side pusher fell off and needed to be glued back.. they are not made the best for everyday wear.. but still till this day i miss it and its one of my most favorite designed watches with the mini window in the back..
Jordo,

Thanks so much for your input. I still don't know whether I made a wise investment...only time will tell. I agree with you about the watch not being able to withstand the daily rigours. It'll always be a piece of art.

Rainer