The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 March 2017, 12:50 PM   #61
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alangloi View Post
Just picked up a 2016 version Explorer this morning (my first Rolex), and this afternoon discovered that the AD had included the pamphlet for the Explorer II. Close. I called and will be driving back to exchange the pamphlet tomorrow. And yes, I am thrilled with the Explorer.

Thank you TRF and posters for making me an educated consumer.
The Explorer I & II used to be included in the same manual. Do they each have their own now?
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2017, 12:50 PM   #62
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofrolex View Post
I would just call the AD you bought it from
Has this been done yet?

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2017, 12:51 PM   #63
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
As for Rolex, they don't deal directly with the public....that's the job of the AD. There are excellent ADs out there, probably one in Winchester. And you have an excellent watch. Maybe save your energy for things that actually matter?
Maybe this is a valid point from the OP, Rolex itself doesn't have customer service . As for the other brands he mentioned plus so many more companies, the producer of the product has its own customer service department.
Rolex does not.

All of the comments have been about the AD's duty. And there are tons of threads about which AD's are good and which suck. But we take it as a given that Rolex is of no help unless you need a service or warranty work.

For what the watches cost, they could spread some goodwill by having a customer service department. Even if it is there to answer stupid questions. I'm not saying the OP's question is stupid. But you shouldn't have to join a forum to learn how a product works.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 11:44 PM   #64
ryan.uk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute View Post
Maybe this is a valid point from the OP, Rolex itself doesn't have customer service . As for the other brands he mentioned plus so many more companies, the producer of the product has its own customer service department.
Rolex does not.

All of the comments have been about the AD's duty. And there are tons of threads about which AD's are good and which suck. But we take it as a given that Rolex is of no help unless you need a service or warranty work.

For what the watches cost, they could spread some goodwill by having a customer service department. Even if it is there to answer stupid questions. I'm not saying the OP's question is stupid. But you shouldn't have to join a forum to learn how a product works.
Thanks Chute, this is a significantly more eloquent way of putting what I so rabidly meant originally

I 'kinda get it'; Rolex has this big thing that they make watches, just watches, now and always - and they make 'perfect' watches in 'the Rolex way' - it's almost an, admittedly earned, arrogant attitude - why do they need 'customer service' when their pieces are impeccable? Superlative? The odd mishap should be accommodated by their network of ADs - who should be held in their same high-regard and high standard as the Rolex brand itself. It's partly how they earn the 'authorised' label.

So, this all being said, I contacted Selfridges/watch gallery for my minor problem, and they sent me the operation manual I was missing, and threw in some Rolex gloves - so all in all, very kind aftercare. So that's that.

However, on Saturday, I went in to Parkhouse in Southampton to get a link removed, and the service in there was incredible... they were busy as anything but made sure I was seated, offered a drink *twice*, was told how long I could expect to wait, was given something to read - they then took my watch, removed the link - gave it a very light clean and handed me back my watch and the link in a lovely pouch and I was on my way without a penny paid.

I certainly know where I will take my business in future if I want to feel like a cherished customer. Just a shame they don't and didn't have a single SS Sports Rolex in stock when I was ready to buy my DSSD.

As for Rolex customer service - I'm at a bit of a loss how I feel; part of me still thinks that, in the 21st century modern western world, (certainly I) have grown accustomed to having on-tap customer service (my points about Omega, Sonos etc..). Rolex seem to be happy to entertain social media to hawk their wares, but not to engage with their customer base.

I can't think of a single other company who behaves like that? Some commented that it's like buying a car - if I have a problem with my car; I go to a garage (many of whom are similar to an AD in that they are third-party but sport a BMW badge and are 'authorised' dealerships) - however, even with my BMW I can contact BMW themselves and ask them stupid questions if I like.

So, to end this missive - I might sound like a disgruntled Rolex (Selfridges!) customer, but I'm not really - I love my DSSD, it's long been my grail watch and it's as perfect as I had hoped.

I blended two things unfairly, the average sales service I received in Selfridges, which was somewhat recovered in the end - and then the fact that Rolex can't be contacted to help you after you've bought your watch, even for something as trivial as getting a copy of an operation manual.

I've now found a nice AD that will get my custom in future.. I just can't help but feel Rolex are missing a trick in their customer service arena, and that's how I'll leave it.
ryan.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 12:01 AM   #65
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Glad you are now happy....the key, as you realise, is to find a good AD and stick with them. Treat the AD well, they tend to respond well. As for Rolex, they are apparently the world's most trusted brand. So they are doing something right, and have been for many decades.
I find the smaller, family run businesses are best.Not so keen on the big chains. A good AD will have close links with key Rolex guys, you might be surprised what they can do to help.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 12:13 AM   #66
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I certainly know where I will take my business in future if I want to feel like a cherished customer. Just a shame they don't and didn't have a single SS Sports Rolex in stock when I was ready to buy my DSSD.

Glad you found a good AD... and then this happens. Curse you Brexit!

Rolex have such a monopoly over the mid-luxury watch market, I remember 9 of 10 of the top selling watches above £5K are Rolexes, so the way they do things will change only very slowly.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 12:22 AM   #67
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toivonen View Post
Rolex Customer Service, here in Italy, is nothing but fantastic.
They're also most excellent here in Hong Kong.
Old 28 March 2017, 12:26 AM   #68
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Ryan,

They are a good bunch in Parkhouse I've dealt with Stewart on a couple of occasions and the service has been great even if window shopping.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 02:30 AM   #69
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
My humble advice: pick up the phone and call the salesperson who sold you the watch. If you still have an issue, then let us know.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 09:31 AM   #70
Nishanmath
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Very interesting post. Your concerns are duly noted. I also wonder why Rolex, the company, seems so detached from their downline customers. I too would like to go directly to Rolex to answer some questions I have about my watch to be 100% sure I am getting the correct answer. For example, I have a new Explorer and would like to know if any parts of the face/hands/markers are white gold? I have read posts on the subject at various places, but nothing directly from Rolex. I am a big Apple fan, and I know if I have a question about anything Apple that I own I can go directly to Apple and get answers. Why not the same with Rolex? Mark
Nishanmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 12:18 PM   #71
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.uk View Post
I blended two things unfairly, the average sales service I received in Selfridges, which was somewhat recovered in the end - and then the fact that Rolex can't be contacted to help you after you've bought your watch, even for something as trivial as getting a copy of an operation manual.

I've now found a nice AD that will get my custom in future.. I just can't help but feel Rolex are missing a trick in their customer service arena, and that's how I'll leave it.
I think you are being unreasonable and unfair to the extent of being self important. Rolex is easily contactable. I have contacted them myself in a reasonable manner and they went over and above to help me. This was for an issue that was in their power to help with. I contacted them the old fashioned way, by writing a polite letter and sent it to them in the mail.

Rolex did not sell you the watch. Selfridges did. If there are issues it is between you two, Rolex has nothing to do with it. (You are not the Queen of Sheba.)

Rolex are not missing any tricks. They have a network of ADs who sell their watches and they provide service to them. It is then up to the ADs to service their customers, not Rolex. You bought a watch from Selfridges, not Rolex.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 07:34 PM   #72
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by callejae View Post
the people at the watch room in selfridges are a right bunch of snobs. i reckon the only way to get noticed there is to arrive by helicopter and land it on the roof. otherwise theyll just stand there ignoring you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2018, 08:17 PM   #73
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
I think you are being unreasonable and unfair to the extent of being self important. Rolex is easily contactable. I have contacted them myself in a reasonable manner and they went over and above to help me. This was for an issue that was in their power to help with. I contacted them the old fashioned way, by writing a polite letter and sent it to them in the mail.

Rolex did not sell you the watch. Selfridges did. If there are issues it is between you two, Rolex has nothing to do with it. (You are not the Queen of Sheba.)

Rolex are not missing any tricks. They have a network of ADs who sell their watches and they provide service to them. It is then up to the ADs to service their customers, not Rolex. You bought a watch from Selfridges, not Rolex.
This is semantics as far as the average Joe customer is concerned. To such a person, the AD sells Rolex watches, in display cabinets branded with Rolex trademarks and it’s a store with a massive Rolex sign outside. The AD is Rolex to this customer. It is frankly only the weird 2%-ers of this forum who either know or care about the Rolex business model and ownership structure.

Furthermore, whilst the OP over-reached in his opening post, his point that Rolex AD’s can give poor customer service is absolutely spot on and it isn’t an isolated issue. I don’t expect to be treated like royalty but I do expect basic courtesy and respect, regardless of what I’m buying and I’ve been into several AD’s where basic respect was lacking (one saleswoman told me on making a polite inquiry regarding a specific model that “the watches in here are quite expensive you know?”). Judging by various posts on TRF this is not exclusively a Central London problem.

The OP was also correct in his comparison with Omega, who provide fantastic customer service. I’ve been given a Bergeron for free (I did not make a purchase at the time and in fact had never bought a watch from that boutique), was given a voucher for a free service worth about £400 due to a misunderstanding which resulted in me being overcharged for a previous service (I didn’t even kick off about this) and I can take a watch into my local boutique for it to have a light polish whenever I want, again gratis. I am in no way, shape or form a high-roller.

Rolex sell the watches to AD’s and then leave them to it. I get that. But I think Rolex should actually care if AD’s are providing a poor customer experience. Sure, in today’s market, Rolex can do what they like, when they like, how they like. But it may not always be so.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 04:24 PM   #74
Mangas
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.uk View Post
Thanks for this; that put me straight through to Maria who was really nice about it and has said she'll send the manual through the post for me. (so you're right there @rootbeer, she's obviously the one you want to deal with in the Rolex boutique in Selfridges if you can)

Quite a lot of snide and mean-spirited responses from some people here which is quite disappointing. On the most part it seems there's some really nice folk here who I thought I would be able to revel in my interest with, but seemingly interspersed with a number of people who are more interesting in light trolling.

At the end of the day, I was just asking if anyone knew how to get hold of Rolex directly; yes I had a bit of a whinge and was a bit stuck up about it, but the purchase experience just gnawed at me and still does a bit.

I have been able to deal direct with Omega in the past, and they are always amazingly helpful (as I said, they got me the original COSC certificate for my first watch with them, and even covered the cost of it... some €50 I think it was). And when I had a technical question about the chronograph mechanism, they had an actual technician ring me from their lab to give me advice. Bash them as you will, but that's good customer service.

When buying a luxury item, forgive me for just wanting that little extra in terms of service.

And yes, vote with your feet/wallet; sure, that's an irrefutable truth - but when you've wanted something for a decade, and it's sat in front of you (on a dirty mat admittedly) - sometimes the heart overrules the head, and the wallet.

Quite right @Dazlewis... London to Winchester is not 100 miles, however I don't recall saying that's where I am right now. You've just put 2 and 2 together and made 9 just to have something to pick at.

Thank you very much to those who provided useful information, in the end the AD look like they'll resolve the (admittedly very trivial) problem, and thank you to those who expressed a little solidarity.
Maria is great . In all mine and friends past dealings she can never do enough
Mangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 04:54 PM   #75
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
This is semantics as far as the average Joe customer is concerned. To such a person, the AD sells Rolex watches, in display cabinets branded with Rolex trademarks and it’s a store with a massive Rolex sign outside. The AD is Rolex to this customer. It is frankly only the weird 2%-ers of this forum who either know or care about the Rolex business model and ownership structure.

Furthermore, whilst the OP over-reached in his opening post, his point that Rolex AD’s can give poor customer service is absolutely spot on and it isn’t an isolated issue. I don’t expect to be treated like royalty but I do expect basic courtesy and respect, regardless of what I’m buying and I’ve been into several AD’s where basic respect was lacking (one saleswoman told me on making a polite inquiry regarding a specific model that “the watches in here are quite expensive you know?”). Judging by various posts on TRF this is not exclusively a Central London problem.

The OP was also correct in his comparison with Omega, who provide fantastic customer service. I’ve been given a Bergeron for free (I did not make a purchase at the time and in fact had never bought a watch from that boutique), was given a voucher for a free service worth about £400 due to a misunderstanding which resulted in me being overcharged for a previous service (I didn’t even kick off about this) and I can take a watch into my local boutique for it to have a light polish whenever I want, again gratis. I am in no way, shape or form a high-roller.

Rolex sell the watches to AD’s and then leave them to it. I get that. But I think Rolex should actually care if AD’s are providing a poor customer experience. Sure, in today’s market, Rolex can do what they like, when they like, how they like. But it may not always be so.
It's not any weirder than going into a car dealership. The Ford dealer is not Ford, these stores are not corporate owned, and many of them have the names of the individual ownership entities plastered on them.

Someone thinking that by walking into Newtown Ford dealership that they are dealing with Ford the manufacturer is pretty behind the times, and I don't think it's unreasonable for someone walking into Newtown Rolex to understand that they are not dealing with Rolex the manufacturer.

Whether or not the business models are good for punters is another story, but in terms of awareness, I don't know any person who doesn't live under a rock who thinks that Ford the manufacturer is responsible for all Ford dealerships and Rolex is responsible for all Rolex dealers.

Yes any AD can give you poor customer service, but look at what AP is doing, pushing away from ADs and towards Boutiques, which by all accounts the service received has gotten worse, not better by being controlled by AP. And let's not talk about Boutique pricing. While your Omega stories are nice, do you honestly think a free service voucher is worth Boutique pricing? Regardless, by all accounts Rolex does not own any Boutiques so we cannot compare how Rolex would act if they theoretically did own their Boutiques.

At least with different ADs run by different entities, you have a choice.

In the end I think there's nothing wrong with wanting to get in touch with Rolex for something, but I think it's bizarre to not reach out to the place and person that sold you the watch in the first place, and to jump to trying to get a hold of Rolex the manufacturer and getting fussed about it, when you have an AD there that you had just been present at and patronized.
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 04:58 PM   #76
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Just a heads up. This thread was started over a year ago. The OP hasn't posted anything in about a year.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 05:51 PM   #77
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Just a heads up. This thread was started over a year ago. The OP hasn't posted anything in about a year.
Sure. Legitimate topic for discussion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
It's not any weirder than going into a car dealership. The Ford dealer is not Ford, these stores are not corporate owned, and many of them have the names of the individual ownership entities plastered on them.

Someone thinking that by walking into Newtown Ford dealership that they are dealing with Ford the manufacturer is pretty behind the times, and I don't think it's unreasonable for someone walking into Newtown Rolex to understand that they are not dealing with Rolex the manufacturer.

Whether or not the business models are good for punters is another story, but in terms of awareness, I don't know any person who doesn't live under a rock who thinks that Ford the manufacturer is responsible for all Ford dealerships and Rolex is responsible for all Rolex dealers.

Yes any AD can give you poor customer service, but look at what AP is doing, pushing away from ADs and towards Boutiques, which by all accounts the service received has gotten worse, not better by being controlled by AP. And let's not talk about Boutique pricing. While your Omega stories are nice, do you honestly think a free service voucher is worth Boutique pricing? Regardless, by all accounts Rolex does not own any Boutiques so we cannot compare how Rolex would act if they theoretically did own their Boutiques.

At least with different ADs run by different entities, you have a choice.

In the end I think there's nothing wrong with wanting to get in touch with Rolex for something, but I think it's bizarre to not reach out to the place and person that sold you the watch in the first place, and to jump to trying to get a hold of Rolex the manufacturer and getting fussed about it, when you have an AD there that you had just been present at and patronized.
Valid points. I agree the OP could and should have simply had his case resolved locally without the need to create this thread. However, if I walk into a Ford dalership and get crap service that can’t be resolved to my satisfaction, I can call Ford U.K. I’ve never done this with Ford but have with BMW and they can and do lean on dealers to ensure that the customer experience is up to the standard it should be.

As an aside, the free service voucher is for an Omega chronograph service, which is worth 400 odd quid at current prices. I have no idea about “boutique pricing” but I’d say that’s a pretty nice freebie, no?
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote