The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28 August 2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Jacek
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex Red Submariner Ref: 1680 Unpolished Case and Amazing Story

Rolex Red Submariner Ref: 1680 Unpolished Case and Amazing Story

Serial #: 3,2XX,XXX
Case: Unpolished case with original beveled lugs. The serial numbers and ref number are all visible but the case has been shined up through saltwater and wear.
Dial : Amazing original dial with no chips perfectly matching the hands and pearl. Open 6 dial. Original faded insert.
Bracelet: Original 9315 with 380 end pieces

I flew to San Diego to meet with the original owner of this watch.
The gentleman wore the piece since the 70's but stopped wearing it in the last 5 years and found out from his dentist that it had some value.

I was expecting to find a nice red sub but when he pulled out the watch it blew my mind. The dial was fantastic. The crystal was scratched
but a few min with poly watch brought out a sensational dial. The case is just... wow ....the holes on the side of the case are sharp and the bevel
on the lugs is phenomenal.

I stayed for lunch and had one of the best watch conversations ever. Not really so much about the watch but what it went through.
Here are a few highlights of the story.

The owner taught at UCLA in th 60's before going to Saudi Arabia where he got recruited to manage and set up the health care system
in that country. His expertise at UCLA was in hospital management and infrastructure.
He did not want to go but the adventure beckoned and from what he told me the salary was one he could not refuse.
His position in the country was one so important that the prince (one of them) of one of the areas he was stying at took him to a Rolex Shop.
The shop owner told him to buy this one aka RED Sub since it was a rarer piece then the other watches.
It was only a few hundred dollars more so he bought it.

The owner also raced in the same league as Steve McQueen and told me he had the 3rd fastest mini cooper in America (Steve's was the fastest).
I asked him if he met Steve. The answer... sure I raced against him many times all over southern California.

Even before the Sub, the owner with 3 friends spent two and a half years to sail around the world... what a life and the pictures to prove it.

This watch has been through it all. The cocaine fueled parties of the 70's 80's, scuba diving around the world, racing his mini cooper in Southern California.
Truly a fantastic watch that's been through an amazing journey. Attached are a few photos of the original owner wearing the watch.

Enjoy this awesome piece of history!!!!

Resting with some new friends:

I love it!!!

Jacek is offline   Reply With Quote