The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 27 March 2018, 07:14 AM   #1
kertong
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS1815 Chrono Blk
How has everyone's experience with the modern JLCs been?

Doing some searching; it looks like the modern JLC movements are all over the place in terms of accuracy? I wanted to share my experience here to see if this is common or not..

My wife and I bought a brand new JLC Master Ultrathin Moon (a.k.a Mooney McMoonPhase), on Dec. of 2017 to celebrate a big promotion she got at work. When we get it home, I carefully admired/inspected the dial, and saw this deep gouge in the sunburst pattern:

But our AD made things right - swapped it out the next day with a new one that they had on hand. Filled out a new warranty card and everything, so we definitely got a "new" JLC to replace it. But, that was strike #1.

Strike #2 - after a couple weeks, my wife notices that it is behind 3-5 minutes from her iPhone. Doesn't think too much of it; corrects it to match her iPhone time, and a week later, it's already behind 2 minutes. So I start using Watchcheck on Android and start timing it. Here's the results:

IIRC, it came out to average out to around -10.9s/day.

I show this to our AD; and they've been great, they immediately sent it into JLC with the -10.9s/day figure noted for service.

Strike #3 - We get it back a smidge over 4 weeks later, and I start measuring it again. Results:

:O It's worse!!

My questions:

1) Obviously this isn't *normal*; but it seems like modern JLC movements are kind of inconsistent; I have a friend who has had multiple modern JLCs and he noted that their positional variance was crazy, and that they all tended to run slow. What are your thoughts/experiences on this? I expected better from a watchmaker with this history and reputation; but am I being unrealistic? Is this ok?

2) What would you do in this case? Despite the "1000 hours master control testing", *AND* a factory regulation/service, it's even worse. My contact at the AD (great service btw) is insisting that we send it back in with the watchcheck screenshots to "get it right", but this will be another 4-6 weeks without the watch; and with the first service making it worse, I don't have high hopes!

3) We're thinking of selling the watch; but if it runs *this* badly, we wouldn't feel too great about some poor person ending up with a lemon. What would a fair asking price for this be, given we disclose the -20s/day performance? I'm even seeing some posts that JLC may even claim that it's "within spec" as they don't officially list specs or conform to COSC?

And a final thought (or a treat, for reading this far): I don't want it to seem like I'm just badmouthing JLC. There's another JLC Piece I have that I love - and a genuine factory one (not engraved). Case #11 of 35; more information about this piece can be found here: http://people.timezone.com/mdisher/R...jlcBatman.html

kertong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 11:31 AM   #2
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I find my Reverso Duo accurate, although I gauge it casually, not scientifically. Would the AD let you trade the watch in at a favorable price?
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 02:03 PM   #3
kertong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Would the AD let you trade the watch in at a favorable price?
That's actually not a bad suggestion/question. They don't really do preowned, and we've already "exchanged" the first watch due to the dial gouge; but we have a great relationship with this AD as we've done a lot of business with them previously.

Right now they're wanting to send it in with a strongly worded letter and watchcheck screenshots.. but if JLC saw this watch running at -20/-30s per day and said "looks good" before sending it back to me once already.. then I'm wondering if it's worth a second chance at all.

Either way, just took another measurement tonight; -44s/day!! that's insane!

Old 27 March 2018, 03:29 PM   #4
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

wife got me a jubilee platinum for our wedding. ran 10min fast a day, not magnetized. sent it in. they gouged the case, took several months to get back. started doing the same thing a year and a half later. charged me full service again despite dealer going to bat for me.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2018, 11:18 PM   #5
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
wife got me a jubilee platinum for our wedding. ran 10min fast a day, not magnetized. sent it in. they gouged the case, took several months to get back. started doing the same thing a year and a half later. charged me full service again despite dealer going to bat for me.

You got hosed. Was the watch still under warranty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 27 March 2018, 11:22 PM   #6
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

If we run into a problem with a mechanical watch, which we have, the ADs and manufacturers have been very nice to us. It’s a competitive field, they should be tripping on themselves to make it right. If they don’t, I will explain it to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28 March 2018, 03:09 AM   #7
Corey986
"TRF" Member

I wonder if your watch got magnetized. Can happen easily if you take if off and put it on something like a iPad case which has some pretty strong magnets.
Corey986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 05:14 AM   #8
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey986 View Post
I wonder if your watch got magnetized. Can happen easily if you take if off and put it on something like a iPad case which has some pretty strong magnets.
A magnetized watch will run fast, not slow.

It took my Deep Sea Chrono a few weeks to break in. At first it was a little erratic but eventually settled down and was about +4/day.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 09:09 AM   #9
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

I have 2 JLC's both acquired in the last couple years, including the MUT moon which is almost 2 years old. While the accuracy does vary, it seem like yours is way off. Both of mine are within 1 spd over the course of several days, although depending on the position, accuracy does vary between +- 4 spd. But in your case, -15 to - 44spd should not be acceptable.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 10:40 AM   #10
kertong
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I did wonder if it got magnetized - I used an iphone app called "lepsi" to check. Interestingly the JLC is *not* magnetized.. but my 116719 BLRO pepsi gmt is! :O But due to the parachrom spring I don't believe the time keeping is being affected at all, my BLRO is pretty damn accurate...

Something is definitely up with this MUT; I brought it downstairs (away from the upstairs nightstand with the iphonex inductive charger) and have been measuring it every hour or so while resting it face down, crown down, crown up, etc. It still averages about -12 to -20 seconds per day; something *IS* definitely wrong, but if JLC already "serviced" it and sent it back like that, I'm having doubts another service will do anything differently. :(

Wonder if I got a bum watch. Sigh..
Old 28 March 2018, 12:33 PM   #11
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kertong View Post
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I did wonder if it got magnetized - I used an iphone app called "lepsi" to check. Interestingly the JLC is *not* magnetized.. but my 116719 BLRO pepsi gmt is! :O But due to the parachrom spring I don't believe the time keeping is being affected at all, my BLRO is pretty damn accurate...

Something is definitely up with this MUT; I brought it downstairs (away from the upstairs nightstand with the iphonex inductive charger) and have been measuring it every hour or so while resting it face down, crown down, crown up, etc. It still averages about -12 to -20 seconds per day; something *IS* definitely wrong, but if JLC already "serviced" it and sent it back like that, I'm having doubts another service will do anything differently. :(

Wonder if I got a bum watch. Sigh..
It's a JLC, you didn't get a bum watch. You just got a bum regulation. It's a beautiful watch with a great movement, I think it's worth persevering until they make it right, but I know how an experience like this can sour you on a watch.

What do you think you'll do next? Keep us posted.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 09:32 PM   #12
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Have you had it tested on a time grapher in all positions? Proper testing (not an app) is the first step.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 09:41 PM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

not sure how accurate it is yet. I got my wife a new JLC Rendez-Vous Night & Day for Christmas. It broke in January and it is still in Switzerland getting fixed.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2018, 10:52 PM   #14
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Recently had my 2011 Tribute to Deep Sea tested at a boutique. Was within COSC (though the power reserve was a little weak).

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 02:41 AM   #15
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
Nightmares like this have turned me off the brand. Sorry to hear about this.
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 03:24 PM   #16
TRM
Banned

Just remember that every company that has produced anything in the history of companies producing stuff has produced a lemon at one time or another, maybe you just happened to get one.
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 11:55 PM   #17
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Seems like a lot of lemons just from browsing other message boards, especially those with a dedicated JLC section. Also a lot of lemon customer service.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2018, 07:45 PM   #18
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Would love an MUT moon phase, but the amount of horror stories I’ve heard relating to Richemont servicing (and JLC in particular) has put me right off.
OJONES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2018, 09:08 PM   #19
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting situation. I would have a discussion with the AD and see what they could do for you. Another brand, a different watch inside the JLC brand, cash back, etc. I would not continue to have issues.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 11:36 PM   #20
Eagle dunes 75
2024 Pledge Member

I have owned several JLC’s over the years and it has always been one of my favorite brands. However recently I have had a recurring problem with my MC Meteorite. I just sent it back to Richemont for the 3rd time (in 16 mos.). When fully wound it will run only 5-12 hours without stopping. Full service done both previous times under warranty. Problem has not been corrected. Also just got my Reverso Grand Automatique back from Richemont service at a cost of over $1,000 with no major parts replaced. Probably have bought my last JLC.
Eagle dunes 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 11:55 PM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I have owned two.

Both were excellent. My Master Calendar needed service which was done quickly and reasonably.

I would consider buying one in the future if I found a model I liked
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 12:21 AM   #22
Syed117
"TRF" Member

A close friend got a master chrono for his wedding two years ago.

Has been for service twice within the 2 years and I believe the date wheel got stuck right after the warranty period ended.

He is not happy.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 01:22 PM   #23
ocean2059
"TRF" Member

Watch: Chronograph
I have a master chrono for less than a year and I am pretty happy with it. It keeps time within COSC standard but not as good as my Daytona. I have another JLC, Reverso GMT, with 8-day manual winding, which is not COSC certificated but keeps good time as well. It runs less than a minute faster with 8 days period.
ocean2059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2018, 08:17 PM   #24
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I had a JLC Master Perpetual 8 Days in Rose, and it ran perfectly. I regret selling the watch but needed to make space for others and it’s anticipated service cost was eye watering.

Let them put it right. Maybe request another new watch if they don’t.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jaeger lecoultre , jlc