The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 May 2018, 12:40 AM   #1
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Frédérique Constant- What are the opinions??

So I realize I don't have anything resembling a "dress" watch. A simple, time and date watch, automatic, clean lines etc.

I'd love a Patek, but I'm more likely to be struck by lightning while collecting my lotto winnings...

Anyway, any opinions? Any reason to avoid the brand? They look nice enough, Swiss, "in house" which I assume is a modified ETA but I haven't dug in that deeply yet...

Anyone have one? How does the winding and setting feel? Cheap? Quality?

I've actually been looking at a lot of vintage pieces (which I do anyway) and Universal Geneve is one I generally gravitate to in vintage stuff.

Let's hear the opinion, and more importantly, first-hand accounts.

Thanks!
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 12:47 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Frédérique Constant SA is a manufacture of luxury wristwatches based in Plan-les-Ouates, Geneva. It was acquired in 2017 by Citizen Holdings of Tokyo, Japan.
Quote:
The company was founded in 1988 by Aletta Francoise Frédérique Stas-Bax and Peter Constant Stas.[3] Its name is derived from the names of great-grandparents of each founder – specifically Frédérique Schreiner (1881–1969) and Constant Stas (1880–1967), the latter of which founded a company producing watch dials in 1904.[4][5][6]

In 2002, to diversify the Frédérique Constant group, Stas and his wife acquired Alpina Watches, a manufacturer of Swiss sports watches founded in 1883.

Frederique Constant has grown into one of the larger Swiss watch manufacturers. In 2011, production reached over 120,000 watches, sold in over 2,700 points of sale in more than 100 countries. Frederique Constant positions itself in the accessible luxury segment, with most of its watches selling in the price range of CHF 1,000–5,000 retail. In 2011, the company said that it expected to continue growing at an annual rate of 25%, doubling in size every three years.[7]

In May 2016, Citizen announced its intention to acquire Frederique Constant Holding SA, which includes Frederique Constant, Alpina Watches, and Ateliers deMonaco.[8]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%...rique_Constant

Just my .02 but if you want a Patek then save for one.

Nothing wrong with this brand but they do not do anything for me and I learned years ago that these "entry level luxury" watches just distract me from my real goal.

Good luck
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 01:00 AM   #3
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I have a Frederique Constant, which I like quite a lot.

It's seems to be well-built, fit and finish is quite good, and it keeps good time with its in-house movement.

Of course, it's not a high prestige watch.

My only problem with the brand is that the dress watches, while looking really good, tend to be too big for my tastes.

In looking around a bit, I do see some models are at about 38mm, which I could handle.

You can find them well discounted, too.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 01:25 AM   #4
J!m
"TRF" Member

I was just doing some reading up on my own.

Honestly, the only competition at the price point is Seiko. As much as I love Seiko, I've never gravitate to any of their dress watches.

In house movement
Excellent presentation
Excellent fit and finish
Excellent price point (comfortably under three grand and severl under one grand)

Very much the "Swiss Seiko". It is disappointing they were acquired by a Japanese company recently, but as long as they keep to their core goals, I'm OK with it.

And yes, I should save for a Patek. But the reality is, long before I got there, I'd be buying other "sport" watches, which are my main interest. That, and the expected frequency of wear (pretty low) makes it difficult for me to justify over 20 grand for one piece. Conversely, if it was my ONLY piece, I could liquidate my collection and be well on my way to having one and only. (I guess there are certainly lesser "only" watches to own).

I'll keep digging but I appreciate first-hand ownership stories (good and bad) more so than on-line reviews...

And Grady, that's a really nice looking piece you have there. I'm looking for a more simple dressy watch, but that is certainly nice!
Old 5 May 2018, 01:28 AM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
They have a pretty good tool for tracking watch accuracy. I just received it last night and had an opportunity to use it today. The App on the phone allow for tracking multiple watches over time. Won't necessarily work with the newer Omegas with the Co-axial movement as the complication could cause it to mis-track. My first watch (my OP) didn't do as well as I'd like. Data received indicates it's running fast at +7.4 sec/day, Beat error = 0.1ms, amplitude =263deg. The watch hasn't been worn pretty much for 9 months. Maybe it will settle in with some wear time.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 01:29 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

I'd spend that money on a vintage Omega deville pie pan or something. I'm not a fan of FC.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 01:31 AM   #7
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I like them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 01:44 AM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think they are pretty good value. I guess much like Hamilton. I've still got this one....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fredy-XL.jpg (85.8 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg 0a8bdef5-f983-4afc-a518-2eb725ef693a_zps9f17faf9-L.jpg (90.3 KB, 370 views)
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 01:51 AM   #9
Limestonedan
"TRF" Member

I bought this one 5-6 months ago. I was going somewhere and needed a thin, clean looking dress watch to wear under a dress shirt. I didn't feel like spending big money for a top brand. This watch is worn maybe a couple of times a year and it's served me well so far. It's lightweight, thin and even has a see through back. I think it retails for around $1500-$1600 but got it for half price. For what I need it for it's fine, hidden, and looks good on the wrist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frederique Constant on wrist.jpg (168.3 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg Frederique Constant watch in box.jpg (116.1 KB, 372 views)
Limestonedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 01:59 AM   #10
dmash
"TRF" Member

JLC has a ton of options and aren’t Patek priced. The MUT Moon comes to mind.

Also, Vacheron makes a heck of a dress watch, and while MSRP is in the same league as Patek, secondhand is not. I think VC on the secondhand market is one the best bang for your buck purchases you can make right now.

Just some food for thought.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 01:59 AM   #11
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you find one you love, why not?

No, FC is not Patek, but it is an established brand. You can do a LOT worse.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 02:36 AM   #12
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
For what they are I like them.

Just buy one from a gray market seller or from an AD heavily discounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 02:40 AM   #13
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

If FC was the route I was going just to have a decent inexpensive dress watch to wear rarely I'd just get a used one for $400 or so, or even new on ebay for $800.

They are very decent watches for what they are, and cheap to buy.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 02:51 AM   #14
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

I would go Longines over a FC personally.

I think some of their heritage collection watches are nice.
Old 5 May 2018, 03:09 AM   #15
J!m
"TRF" Member

Good comments, thank you all!

I was actually in Switzerland several years ago when the Heritage line from Longines was "new" and nearly bought one then. At that time, I would never be wearing a "dress" watch, and didn't get it. Looking back, I would have paid full retail on it (being a new, new model line) and now they can be had for significantly less.

Realizing I don't have an appropriate watch for a nice dinner out, meeting with clients etc. I got to looking around. I was aware the brand existed, but didn't know much about them. A little looking and I was pleasantly surprised.

JLC is an interesting option. I don't expect to find a lot I might like under $2000.00 but I can certainly look around.

Vintage Omega is always on my radar. The classic "pie pan" dial models tend to be too small for my taste (or yellow gold, which I'm not a fan of). One thing I liked about these FC watches is the clean, classic designs in larger sizes. Now, I am not interested in a "Fossil-esque" 44+mm "dress watch" but 40mm (+/-) seems to be a sweet spot for me. I have (on now actually) a 45.5 Planet Ocean but that is the absolute upper limit for me- and I've considered swapping for a 42mm version recently... The rest of my watches are 40 and under.

I'll keep looking, and checking other brands.
Old 5 May 2018, 03:15 AM   #16
Dynamite_Kid19
"TRF" Member

Love my FC. They offer a lot of bang for the buck to me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Dynamite_Kid19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 03:52 AM   #17
Cryten
"TRF" Member

I have one.

I always liked the slimline moonphase (FC-705). It was a bargain for a manufacture moonphase, but why 42mm? Its just too big for a dress watch.

Then Citizen bought them and the next watch they made was a 39mm slimline moonphase (FC-703). They made (or claim to have made) an all new calibre for the 39mm version, but I can't help but think the cal 703 is just a cal 705 with a smaller retaining ring.

Either way, 39mm is the size it should have always been, so I bought one. Nothing else in their line up interests me, but the moonphase was a watch that I couldn't continue life without (you know how this disease we all have is).

(Photo stolen from the interweb)
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 03:54 AM   #18
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%...rique_Constant

Just my .02 but if you want a Patek then save for one.

Nothing wrong with this brand but they do not do anything for me and I learned years ago that these "entry level luxury" watches just distract me from my real goal.

Good luck
the problem is by the time you save for a patek it will be 5 times the price

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 05:41 AM   #19
c0de
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
JLC has a ton of options and aren’t Patek priced. The MUT Moon comes to mind.
Came here to say this, if I wanted a dress watch it would definitely be a JLC MUT Moon..
c0de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 05:51 AM   #20
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I like them a lot.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2018, 06:26 AM   #21
J!m
"TRF" Member

OK Another update.

I did some digging a bit deeper, and they do manufacture their own calibers completely in house. That is to say, their MANUFACTURE calibers. (They have at least one patent I am aware of for their "open heart" design) The lower priced automatics (and I assume Quartz as well) are ETA base that get decorated by FC. Not that this is a bad thing. When you make as many movements as ETA does, you can't help but get pretty good at it...

Either way, compared to other Swiss made brands, at the price point, they really are in a space all by themselves. Hamilton was mentioned and that is probably as close as you can get compared to the FC ETA base movement watches.

Even if I go a different direction, I would not hesitate to recommend them to someone looing for a quality, Swiss watch for little money compared to the other players in the game.
Old 5 May 2018, 07:59 AM   #22
Cryten
"TRF" Member

FC have (or had) as watch making class, where for a fee you can assemble your own movement and watch.

Ariel Adams (A Blog to Watch) did it a while back. He assembled an FC-705 and it looked like quite the experience.

Video here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SX-AfMzd2UI
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 04:10 PM   #23
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Theres a FC at the local TJMaxx for $200. Looked nice but I figured it was just a cheapo
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 05:34 PM   #24
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
There is not an FC pictured here that I don't like.
I will have to put them on the list.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2018, 11:08 PM   #25
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
Theres a FC at the local TJMaxx for $200. Looked nice but I figured it was just a cheapo

Yep. If you see it there and don’t know you assume it is just another gold toned MK or Diesel watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 08:44 AM   #26
J!m
"TRF" Member

Could be a quartz. Those get that low I’ve noticed. If it doesn’t say “automatic “ on the fuel, it’s quartz.
Old 7 May 2018, 10:43 AM   #27
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limestonedan View Post
I bought this one 5-6 months ago. I was going somewhere and needed a thin, clean looking dress watch to wear under a dress shirt. I didn't feel like spending big money for a top brand. This watch is worn maybe a couple of times a year and it's served me well so far. It's lightweight, thin and even has a see through back. I think it retails for around $1500-$1600 but got it for half price. For what I need it for it's fine, hidden, and looks good on the wrist.
That's a beautiful watch!!!! Too bad they felt the need to include a date window.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 10:45 AM   #28
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

A Nomos Ludwig may be an option also.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 04:21 PM   #29
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I like FC's Patek inspired looks, even though most are too large, but I would probably go with Longines or, if you like the Bauhaus look, Nomos or Stowa. If you want to raise your budget, the JLCs are incredible values if bought right. Have you considered a Reverso?
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 07:16 PM   #30
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Have to say that I was most impressed with Frederique Constant at this years Baselworld. I had never paid much attention to the brand , however they have some great watches , In-house movements and reasonably priced
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote