The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 June 2018, 12:43 AM   #1
jntemple11
"TRF" Member

What are your opinions on Oysterquartz watches?

Hi all,

I wanted to gather the opinions of TRF on Oysterquartz watches, as I'm considering purchasing one. I've done some research on them, and the two biggest issues I consistently see pop up are that they tick quite loudly and are expensive to service. Can anyone share their experiences regarding service costs or how noisy they actually are? Also, any thoughts in general on what you like about them?

I know the OQ is a bit of an oddball in the Rolex line, but that's precisely what is drawing me to it. I already own a 1964 Datejust 1600, as well as a 1958 Air King 5500. I often find that I reach for a quartz watch when I'm heading out the door for work because I don't have time to set a watch, yet I love the feel of a Rolex. An OQ Datejust could do just the trick.

Thanks in advance for your input. I greatly appreciate it.
jntemple11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 12:55 AM   #2
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Lovely if you ask me.

I’d get an independent to service one unless Rolex insist on parts being replaced? Generally a well made old quartz will go on and on and only likely fail would be from a battery leak or someone damaging something.

I absolutely love the aesthetics of them.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 12:59 AM   #3
mineral
"TRF" Member

My favorite design. The 36mm is perfect for me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 June 2018, 05:09 AM   #4
robbrum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 16234

I have an 19018 the Rolex service for a quartz watch is 550€ much cheaper dan an datejust that is around 750€

The ticking is by mine watch not loud.

There around 25.000 pieces quartz watches made by Rolex, so it is an unsual watch with an great design.

I like mine, if can buy one do it.
robbrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 06:03 AM   #5
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I heard service for these is much more difficult and expensive than their automatic counter parts, but that is the only negative I can think of as they are very cool watches!
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 06:17 AM   #6
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
I am personally not a quartz fan, but to each their own.
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 06:27 AM   #7
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I think they're cool, though I have never laid eyes on one outside of pictures. Would love to try one on! I especially like the gold ones, and they don't seem to be all that expensive, comparatively.

I wouldn't get one as my only Rolex, but as part of a collection, I would definitely go for it. Don't see them in the wild...at least I never have!
Old 1 June 2018, 07:16 AM   #8
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

The oysterquartz watches are very attractive, especially the DD. I think they are a relative bargain, you can find one under $10K US with very little searching. Yes, they are expensive to repair, but when they are fully functional, they are relatively trouble-free.
Old 1 June 2018, 09:23 AM   #9
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@jntemple11
Yes, the Oysterquartz is an oddball, but an endearing one. It's also historically important. Personally I'm quite fond of them...very 70s vibe-y!
Old 1 June 2018, 09:28 AM   #10
christo4
"TRF" Member

I think they are aesthetically pleasing, maybe because they mimic a Vacheron Constantine Overseas (?). But I cannot fathom paying Rolex prices for a quartz movement.
christo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 10:00 AM   #11
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo4 View Post
I think they are aesthetically pleasing, maybe because they mimic a Vacheron Constantine Overseas (?). But I cannot fathom paying Rolex prices for a quartz movement.

I think it has DNA design of Royal Oak. They are quite alike in my opinion.

Old 1 June 2018, 02:04 PM   #12
The moose
Banned

After I switched to a brand new bracelet and black dial, I am more and more starting to enjoy my 17014. The black dial on this one has the fantastic tint to it that I never have seen on a 5 digit Datejust dial before...hard to capture in a pic though...

The moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 02:52 PM   #13
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
After I switched to a brand new bracelet and black dial, I am more and more starting to enjoy my 17014. The black dial on this one has the fantastic tint to it that I never have seen on a 5 digit Datejust dial before...hard to capture in a pic though...

Totally agreed and the black dial matches the OQ jubilee bracelet very well. Good move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 1 June 2018, 04:08 PM   #14
Andad

Watch: A few.
I wore my one last weekend.

I like it a lot and the movement is so nice I bought a clear caseback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06304r.jpg (263.3 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06307er.jpg (241.9 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06291r.jpg (231.2 KB, 229 views)

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 11:41 PM   #15
avilhena
"TRF" Member

I have never seen one in person, but i really like the design, very 70's.
Old 2 June 2018, 12:04 AM   #16
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Lovely watches. I have the 17000 with the smooth bezel. Paid around $600 for full service a couple of years ago - no more expensive than normal. The ticking is audible if you put it up to your ear, but it's not otherwise noticeable... Reports of excessive ticking volume are greatly exaggerated. The bracelet is super-comfortable, too.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 12:42 AM   #17
77T

I was having this very discussion with my watchmaker. He’s a Master CW21 with both Rolex and Omega parts accounts. The only issue I’d raise is that Rolex controls the parts availability quite strictly. So you’ll be almost totally dependent on RSC overhauls.

Indie watchmakers must be certified in OQ to get new parts - yet AFAIK, Lititz no longer trains on OQ.

So at some point Rolex might stop support. And then the unusual parts that aren’t traditional movement parts may no longer be available.

As long as you take that into consideration, and won’t be disappointed if it came to pass, then get it and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 05:25 AM   #18
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by christo4 View Post
Then you should look into a 1530 Date or 1630 DJ, same aesthetics, but automatic.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 07:19 AM   #19
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpefy3 View Post
I am personally not a quartz fan, but to each their own.
Just out of interest what is it you don’t like about quartz?

I hear this comment a fair bit in WIS circles and I wonder what the thinking behind it is.

The engineering and accuracy must be commended. Don’t see how a true WIS could dislike quartz when you check out a 70’s quartz movement.

Don’t even get me started on before all this with Accutron! Anyone that thinks a battery powered watch isn’t cool needs to watch a vid of the Accutron working. A totally smooth sweeping seconds hand courtesy of a tuning fork buzzing away at 360hz pushing two hair thin levers each (with a minuscule jewel bonded on their ends) driving a 2.4mm across index wheel (which has 320 teeth cut into it) and in turn driving the train.

Blows my mind to think of them tiny jewels indexing that wheel for decades and decades. Absolutely astonishing engineering. Every WIS should have an Accutron and an early quartz IMO.
Old 2 June 2018, 07:22 AM   #20
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Beautiful and love their vintage style but I prefer mechanical.
Old 2 June 2018, 09:56 AM   #21
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post

I hear this comment a fair bit in WIS circles and I wonder what the thinking behind it is.

The engineering and accuracy must be commended. Don’t see how a true WIS could dislike quartz when you check out a 70’s quartz movement.

Don’t even get me started on before all this with Accutron! Anyone that thinks a battery powered watch isn’t cool needs to watch a vid of the Accutron working. A totally smooth sweeping seconds hand courtesy of a tuning fork buzzing away at 360hz pushing two hair thin levers each (with a minuscule jewel bonded on their ends) driving a 2.4mm across index wheel (which has 320 teeth cut into it) and in turn driving the train.

Blows my mind to think of them tiny jewels indexing that wheel for decades and decades. Absolutely astonishing engineering. Every WIS should have an Accutron and an early quartz IMO.
I think it's because some of us have to justify spending an unjustifiable amount of money on these watches.

I love the brutal '70s design of the Oysterquartz. I think this is among the best looking Rolex watches ever made. I'm surprised I never bought one.

(not mine)
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 10:23 AM   #22
Rolex6022
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB 126720VTN
They're great watches. Shockingly accurate and definitely unlike any other Rolex. Here is my 17013.

Rolex6022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 11:43 AM   #23
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
I have owned three and regret selling them. Great watches!

My favorite is the 17014.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 12:17 PM   #24
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:

Engineering and mechanical wizardy aside, I find them aesthetically very unattractive. I happen to like a lot of kitschy 70s designs, but find the cases and bracelets of the Osyterquartz just absolutely silly-looking.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 03:28 PM   #25
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Engineering and mechanical wizardy aside, I find them aesthetically very unattractive. I happen to like a lot of kitschy 70s designs, but find the cases and bracelets of the Osyterquartz just absolutely silly-looking.
Yeah I understand if you don’t like the look of this specific Watch, I was asking why some “don’t like quartz” as a whole (when referring to the movement)
Old 2 June 2018, 09:32 PM   #26
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
Quote:

For me personally, I feel that it takes quite a bit of the human interaction out of owning a watch. I like the idea that my movements (either manual winding or moving my body to propel the rotor) give the watch life; not some lifeless battery. The same battery may eventually corrode and ruin the contact points or the movement entirely.
I love the purely mechanical idea of an automatic timepiece (from the beat of the mainspring to the tiny gears turning perfectly in sync). I love the slight timing inaccuracies as it is a testament, albeit in an abstract way, to the imperfections in an ever changing environment. However, it does always amaze me how accurate these craftsman can make a watch that can endure such different conditions from one user to the next.
I am an analog person in general though. I prefer older cars where everything is not controlled by a $1000 sensor that powers some tiny electric motor. I love my vinyl records (including their pops and static) being played over two channels. I prefer the feel of turning a page on a book to “flipping” the page on my iPad. I think it just all comes down to our own personal preferences in life.
In the end, for me, if i wanted a heartless, perfectly timed watch I’d save myself quite a bit of money and go buy an Apple Watch.
I don’t intend to offend anyone, just giving my thoughts on the subject.
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 10:33 PM   #27
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

Love mine, I think they are great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1700_v4.jpg (240.2 KB, 124 views)

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2018, 11:09 PM   #28
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swearengen View Post
Love mine, I think they are great

So beautiful and thanks for sharing. Seldom see this dial.

Old 2 June 2018, 11:26 PM   #29
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

Buckley Dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
So beautiful and thanks for sharing. Seldom see this dial.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2018, 06:57 AM   #30
Arogue
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB58
I love them. They look fantastic, they're different and stand out a bit, but not to anybody who doesn't know. I found this locally a few months back. It's not an oysterquartz but it's similar. I regret passing at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rarebird.JPG (88.4 KB, 94 views)
Arogue is offline   Reply With Quote