The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 May 2018, 06:24 PM   #1
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

Can it be too soon to get the grail/dream watch?

I am only 3 years into collecting 'proper' watches with a passion, although I have always had an appreciation and interest. I am on 'the list' for a 5711-1A and separately for a steel Daytona. No sign yet, and might be years rather than months.

I recently had the chance to try on a 5711-1R in rose gold. I loved it! It literally shone when I tried it on - a beauty. I may be able to buy it at retail price within a short timescale.

So it's a no brainer that I am going to buy the 5711-1A and the Daytona when and if offered. (I really do like them, and not just because they are hot models).

My dilemma is whether the 5711-1R is too much watch too soon, and might spoil the enjoyment of the two lovely steel watches I aspire to own, and almost mean a premature end to my watch collecting hobby! I don't have a flashy lifestyle, and the 1R would not get as much wrist time as my other watches. Also, would the 1A and the 1R overlap too much in the same collection? On the other hand, I am thinking there may not be another chance to get the 1R if it gets more difficult to obtain, the price may rise, and though it is a heck of a lot of money to me, I guess it's unlikely to go down in value over the long term (I don't ever intend to sell, but it's still good to know).
SilverFoxUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 06:30 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

it its truly a grail i would wait. I think what is or isnt a grail changes over time but i kind of like the idea of not going for it right away. My grail is a Datograph. I could absolutely flip some watches and get it, but i dont. Im content to just wait until the right time.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 07:10 PM   #3
OP15
"TRF" Member

Everyone will have different “grail” watches, just like everyone will have their own opinion about this. Do what makes you happy. If the opportunity is there and you want it, get it. Even though my experience may be different from yours, I purchased 2 grail watches very early on and close together (only a 3 watch collection). For me, it just means I get to love and experience wearing them now, but has not diminished my experience or desire to collect. What it has done is made me incredibly selective, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. But to each his own. Good luck with the decision!
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 07:13 PM   #4
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

I’m pretty sure the 5711-1R will complement the other pieces beautifully and is a stunner in it’s own right. However it is good to consider very carefully the route you want the collection to take and for sure never buy just because you think it might be hard to get in the future if you pass now. I have passed a couple of times on pieces only to regret it afterwards but then there is always the next - always look forwards. Happy collecting.
A grail piece is a tricky concept, I have a number of beautiful pieces but truly only one that makes my heart jump when I wear it - but that is a combination of the piece, the wait, the collection and then most importantly the occasions when it is worn.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 07:17 PM   #5
yoast
"TRF" Member

Just buy what you like. Life is too short and your taste will change in a few years anyway...
Old 19 May 2018, 07:27 PM   #6
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
it its truly a grail i would wait. I think what is or isnt a grail changes over time but i kind of like the idea of not going for it right away. My grail is a Datograph. I could absolutely flip some watches and get it, but i dont. Im content to just wait until the right time.
I recently tried the RG Datograph at your AD, I like it way more than the 5170P
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 07:32 PM   #7
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
I recently tried the RG Datograph at your AD, I like it way more than the 5170P
Did you not find it a bit thick? I love the Dato/DS/TS movement but as a wearable piece I just struggle a bit, 5170 is just so much sleeker on the wrist. Stunning nevertheless and a great buy used.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 07:43 PM   #8
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Did you not find it a bit thick? I love the Dato/DS/TS movement but as a wearable piece I just struggle a bit, 5170 is just so much sleeker on the wrist. Stunning nevertheless and a great buy used.
It was thicker than the 5170 but still very wearable for me. I have seen the Double split on a separate occasion, it was only a couple of millimetres thicker than the Datograph but it was not very wearable for me.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 08:27 PM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
i really like both. Im 6'5 though so sometimes a sub 40mm watch looks a bit out of proportion on me. Not wrist size as i dont have huge wrists, but body size. The Dato fits me better.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 09:15 PM   #10
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I would advise you to get the R now. As a warning it may change your grail selection. With its price near the SS, it should always hold its value. I wear my 5980 1R all the time and it is not to flashy or in your face.
20151108_152415-1 by racerdj, on Flickr
Old 19 May 2018, 09:47 PM   #11
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not and would get serious about finding a 5711 and Daytona-C. If you are waiting for an AD to call you and offer one at retail then you might be waiting years. I would find the Daytona-C as it is the lest expensive in the Gray Market and pay. See if it is everything you thought it would be. This will guide you in your search for the 5711 and may help you wait. As time goes by the grail watches come and go for me. What I liked years ago does not work now and my current grails probably will not work years down the road. If you are a WIS I think you are always learning and with that knowledge comes different watches. I hope it never ends.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 10:08 PM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would wait a bit, half the fun is the anticipation and planning, I'm at the stage where I'm very satisfied with my grail collection, including the 5711r, and not really after another piece for the first time since joining this forum, and that's a bit of a shame really.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 10:27 PM   #13
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
I have wanted several watches over 30 years of collecting. Few I have secured and only one I have kept for over 25 years and still have in the collection. I think of another watch I had wanted for 20 years, always just out of reach, when one day I was presented the opportunity to purchase that was just too good to be true. NOS on a 15 year old watch. The price was right and I bought it. Only problem was I was afraid to strap it on, and sold it just months later.

All this to say BUY! Enjoy! (if you can) and then Move on (as your tastes and desires change).
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 10:36 PM   #14
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Too much too soon.

Think I went thru the various Rolex sport models rather quick and did not appreciate fully
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 10:38 PM   #15
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone so far for your generous replies! Most have far more experience and insight than me, so views all very welcome! It does look like opinion is split 50/50 on whether the 1r is right for me now, in my mid to late 40’s I’m not the youngest collector and not the oldest, again making the decision tougher ��
Old 19 May 2018, 10:51 PM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Life is too short. If you want the 5711R I’d get on the list. You may never see a 5711/1A at retail.
Old 19 May 2018, 10:59 PM   #17
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Life is too short. If you want the 5711R I’d get on the list. You may never see a 5711/1A at retail.
X2 and your grail may change in a few years as you get further into this hobby. It happens to Us all. Best of Luck in deciding

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:42 PM   #18
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
Just buy what you like. Life is too short and your taste will change in a few years anyway...

I agree. If you can afford it why wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 May 2018, 12:17 AM   #19
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Nonsense. No sense waiting to do tomorrow what can be done today.
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 12:18 AM   #20
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Don't put off for tomorrow......
Old 20 May 2018, 02:30 AM   #21
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
I think that if you really like the watch, if you can afford it, and if you’re actually going to use it, then you should definitely go for it.
I was just in a similar situation with a 15450. It’s not rare and even though it’s not the most expensive watch it is over $18k after taxes. I was thinking it may be too much for me but in the end I just realized that I love the watch and I have the money to spend on this TODAY, but I might not be able to get it tomorrow when I have more responsibilities or who knows what else might’ve changed, so I ordered it.
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 04:48 AM   #22
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

People's definition of a grail watch varies considerably. Here on TRF, it seems most people's grail watches are a bit out of comfortable reach, because of scarcity and/or how much it is selling on the secondary market. Watches like the 5711/1A and the SS Daytona can be grail watches for many because they are not easily obtainable at ADs and their secondary market price seem irrational. The concept of value comes into place as well as one would purchase the grail watch at $xxx, but not at 2 x $xxx.

As your watch collection grows, your tastes will change as well. People discover the "hot watches" like the 5711 as an introduction to Patek, but eventually will appreciate the fact that what makes Patek special is not their SS 3-hand sports watches, but their complications. Get the 5711/1R if that is your grail watch. But you may be tempted by the 5980/1R or the 5740/1G in a few years.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 05:09 AM   #23
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerdj View Post
I would advise you to get the R now. As a warning it may change your grail selection. With its price near the SS, it should always hold its value. I wear my 5980 1R all the time and it is not to flashy or in your face.
20151108_152415-1 by racerdj, on Flickr
.....^^^.......... Looking good my friend....

To the OP.....

If you could get it now....

Get it....!!!

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 05:27 AM   #24
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Don't settle. Get what you want now : )
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 06:59 AM   #25
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
5711 1/a - you’ll never regret it. It’s like holding and wearing a piece of Patek history.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 07:11 AM   #26
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
just buy what you like. Life is too short and your taste will change in a few years anyway...
+1
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 11:59 AM   #27
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I would wait a bit, half the fun is the anticipation and planning, I'm at the stage where I'm very satisfied with my grail collection, including the 5711r, and not really after another piece for the first time since joining this forum, and that's a bit of a shame really.

The planning and the hunt are what I enjoy the most with this hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 12:57 PM   #28
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Can it be too soon to get the grail/dream watch?

If you love the 5711/1r and you can get it at MSRP from an AD, I’d buy it. Wear and enjoy. When you get the 5711/1a and/or the Daytona C, decide then if you want to keep them or sell them. They are three fantastic pieces that are at or above retail in the aftermarket. And, a SS (or 2) goes great with a PM.

Life’s too short. Buy, wear, and enjoy.
Old 21 May 2018, 04:42 PM   #29
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. Still thinking it over! BTW the 2012 price list sticky has the US retail price for the Nautilus 5711 1r as $35,300. Is that the current US MRSP? Surely that is too low as converts to £26,290 GBP, and retail in UK is MUCH more...
Old 21 May 2018, 04:46 PM   #30
OP15
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfoxuk View Post
thanks for the advice everyone. Still thinking it over! Btw the 2012 price list sticky has the us retail price for the nautilus 5711 1r as $35,300. Is that the current us mrsp? Surely that is too low as converts to £26,290 gbp, and retail in uk is much more...
$51,030
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote