The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 January 2016, 03:42 AM   #1
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Hand winding feel of a 5513 with a 1530 movement?

Hi all. I recently picked up a 1972 5513 from HQ Milton. As this is my first vintage watch, I'm a little concerned about the hand winding feel. I mentioned this when I picked up the watch, but I was assured this is normal.

When I wind the watch, I get a "gritty" feeling. Doesn't matter if the watch is completely stopped or if I am just winding it after taking it off. Also, when I screw the crown back in, I get a clicking feel until the crown starts to screw in.

The crown is smooth otherwise with no issues when pulling it out to set the time. Hacking movement works fine as well. Watch is running at +6.5 seconds over 14 days, so no issues there either.

Worth the time to take it in, or is this par for the course? I've owned a 16610, a 16700, and a two hand wind Omega watches and might be really used to smooth hand winding...
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2016, 03:46 AM   #2
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

It's a different feel. The gearing of the barrel and the reversing wheels and intermediate wheels is different. If there is wear in the reversers it may be slightly stiffer and grittier. Some will be smooth as silk but there is a little stiffer feel than you are used to with the 31xx movements. What you don't want is to have to force it....if the crown stops for any reason when you are hand winding....DON'T. A reverser is freezing up and you will break your crown wheel.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2016, 03:50 AM   #3
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
they do feel different ,
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2016, 04:34 AM   #4
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Don't need to apply any more pressure than normal.
Old 21 January 2016, 06:24 AM   #5
R-H
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1967 5513
My 67 5513 with 1520, has the same gritty feel when winding, had it serviced in June and is still the same, I wondered too if there was a problem, but so far none, keeps great time.
R-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2016, 07:05 AM   #6
05carbondrz
Banned

My 1520 and 1530 Movements have a similar feel,No worries.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2016, 07:17 AM   #7
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

The 50's/60's Rolex non-hacking movements don't really have a particularly confidence inspiring feel and in fact I think the Fleurier and Valjoux movements of the era that Rolex Group also used somehow 'feel' more smooth, but I think it's just a perception thing. Be assured though that zillions of hours of worldwide use over many decades have proved they are very robust and reliable. If you expect a Rolex movement of the era to feel like an Omega or Lemania of the same era...it won't!
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2016, 09:01 AM   #8
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

It's a completely different concept with regard to the autowind mech.

You are feeling the wind going through the entire train of the automatic section. The reversing wheels are "freewheeling" when you wind the watch by hand.

There is serious gear reduction in that process. Think of turning the driveshaft on a manual transmission car in first gear with the clutch depressed...you will feel all of that gearing.

If you were to remove the automatic mechanism...then wind the watch you would hardly be able to feel anything regarding gear train.

The Omega set up is a very different thing. It accomplishes the same end but it's just built differently. The vintage Omega 56x series is also very gritty and stiff if that reversing can is worn.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2016, 12:23 PM   #9
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

As always, thank you gentlemen! This puts my mind at ease.