The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 April 2018, 05:37 AM   #1
peacocknation
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em!
How to "fix" this watch

My dad has a 1971, 5512 submariner no date. It's in so-so shape and we want to get it back to wearing condition without impacting the resale value too much and am looking for some advice.

The issues with the watch (told to us by the watch repair folks) are that it needs a new crown/tube and crystal to remain water integrity. It needs a regular overhaul/maintenance/tune up and the bezel is loose/spins.

The jewelers are telling us that it would be good to get it polished as well, should we?

They're also telling us that to make the case waterproof again you also need to replace the crystal.

Where should we get this fixed? And to what extent should we get this fixed?

Thanks.
peacocknation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 05:38 AM   #2
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Never polish!!!
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 05:51 AM   #3
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
that sounds like the typical things that vintage watches need done to keep it's integrity. I would have a trusted source here on TRF do it to make sure and protect your piece from unnecessary parts replacements.

No Polishing. the rest, fine.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 08:42 AM   #4
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
I think that you should rethink the whole situation.

So so condition is too vague a descriptor to make any decisions. Keep the watch in hand until you survey the suggestions here. While you have it in hand take several good sharp macro photos of the watch and post them here.

I can't remember exactly which year the twinlock crown and tube switched to triplock but if it was after yours was manufactured but you don't want to switch to the latter and finding good twinlock crown/tubes is getting painful.

Since you mentioned the term "resale" it implies you are thinking about selling it. Anything beyond cleaning the movement and replacing the gaskets will confound you. Unless you are a vintage collector you might not understand why a sub with a faded and rubbed bezel insert will sell for more than one that has a nice new replacement.

Don't do anything any more than discuss at this point. And stay as far away from that fellow with the buffing wheel. A polishing technician can buff $100+ a minute off your watch given the chance.
jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 09:33 AM   #5
Vlad
"TRF" Member

never polish. If the watch runs, don't do anything with it - keep it as is. Yes, you can replace the crystal, case tube, and crown (of course keep the original), but why? Just don't wear it in the rain.

As far as 'tune up' - I would not do it. Any service implies pulling hands and later on reinstalling them. Any damage to the lume or, even worse, any damage to the dial does not justify slight increase in accuracy.

Spinning bezel can be easily corrected by popping the bezel and adjusting the bezel spring
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 10:37 AM   #6
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Rolex 5512 bezel doesn't "click" and is meant to spin freely - maybe its too loose but thats an easy adjustment. Wouldn't pay a watchmaker to "fix" the bezel is what i'm implying.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 10:37 AM   #7
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

and photos would help
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:46 AM   #8
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@ peacocknation
Depending on where you're located in California, it might be very easy for you to take your 5512 directly to one/some of the best independent watch repair sites in the country. If you are unfamiliar with the "dos and donts" of servicing and maintaining a valuable vintage Rolex then I suggest that you have the timepiece in-hand when you begin the dialog with your watch repair provider...they will walk you through it step by step and provide various options along the way.
Old 12 April 2018, 05:24 PM   #9
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Good advice so far. In the first instance, post some images here. Very often a light rub on the crystal with some toothpaste will make the watch look like new! If you're not going to wear it in water, then leave all original and have just a service of the internal parts.
Old 12 April 2018, 07:54 PM   #10
gman5515
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacocknation View Post
My dad has a 1971, 5512 submariner no date. It's in so-so shape and we want to get it back to wearing condition without impacting the resale value too much and am looking for some advice.

The issues with the watch (told to us by the watch repair folks) are that it needs a new crown/tube and crystal to remain water integrity. It needs a regular overhaul/maintenance/tune up and the bezel is loose/spins.

The jewelers are telling us that it would be good to get it polished as well, should we?

They're also telling us that to make the case waterproof again you also need to replace the crystal.

Where should we get this fixed? And to what extent should we get this fixed?

Thanks.
Suggest to not polish the watch if possible, and if the crown is still ok, suggest to keep the original 700 crown. I personally wouldn't swim or go into the water with it, wear it in original condition as possible, except for maybe the crystal, if visibility is poor. movement overhaul for sure would be in order if required. Good luck and enjoy the watch!
gman5515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 11:11 PM   #11
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The last thing you want to do is booger it up - I’m thinking that’s why you sought outside advice here. So my advice is this:don’t try any DIY stuff!

As for the worklist- it’s normal except for the polishing. That alone would worry me about the watchmaker’s knowledge of preserving vintage watch values.

Try some of the well-respected vintage watchmakers you can find in the threads here. Ridley pops to mind and others are listed. Sourcing a correct acrylic crystal is going to be a critical part - and be sure whoever does the work only uses genuine Rolex parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote