The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 April 2018, 12:30 AM   #1
percivalrose
"TRF" Member

Should i buy this 6239?

Hi all, a long time lurker but first time poster.

I am looking to purchase a newman 6239 from an acquaintance. Pics are below - I've done some basic research and to my relatively untrained eye i think it looks legit.

But this is not a small amount of money so would appreciate if anyone can pitch in about the watch itself and how I can get it properly authenticated before purchase.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dayton1.jpg (149.0 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg dayton2.jpg (169.0 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg dayton3.jpg (124.7 KB, 442 views)
percivalrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 08:23 PM   #2
ars1g09
"TRF" Member

Watch: R, AP, PP
Anyone?
ars1g09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2018, 09:48 PM   #3
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

I think you need to have someone who you know and trust look at the moment and study the dial. I don’t know enough about them. Has the case been recut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 April 2018, 11:52 PM   #4
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Really hard to say from those pics. Does it have a step?

Thomas advice is good. This is not the kind of watch you buy without being very knowledgable. Or you buy it from a well-known dealer to a big premium.

Best of luck!
Old 17 April 2018, 01:51 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
As above, definitely get an expert to have a close look and open it up. I'd want to see that movement too. I assume this watch costs as much as a nice house, so the stakes are massive. If the seller is an acquaintance, I'm sure authentication would be welcomed.

Just based on the photos, the dial looks good, but I always thought the 6239 subdial hands were thinner. (See below for confirmed authentic example.) I could be wrong, and maybe the hands were switched at service at some point? Relatively minor in the big picture, but worth double-checking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 11.45.05 AM.jpg (224.1 KB, 353 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 06:21 AM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

With my limited knowledge hands look off. I believe they were thinner as stated above. In fact, one may have been thinner than the others??? Best to have it properly authenticated and both of you will have peace of mind. If all good, it’s an incredible watch.
Old 17 April 2018, 06:23 AM   #7
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

No to be an ass, but how can you rely on an anonymous forum to make a $200k plus purchase?
Old 17 April 2018, 07:07 AM   #8
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
With my limited knowledge hands look off. I believe they were thinner as stated above. In fact, one may have been thinner than the others??? Best to have it properly authenticated and both of you will have peace of mind. If all good, it’s an incredible watch.
Correct. The seconds hand is thinner on ref 6239. Also other subdial hands are slimmer than on this example. Looking at the subdial hands overall they look more like later 6262 hands which were thicker.

I’d be careful as I don’t see a step and hands are clearly wrong. Overall feeling is not great. I’m however not an expert on Newmans.

Not saying it means anything but a bit dodgy with a long time lurker, first time poster asking about a questionable Newman with blurry pics. Could be someone trying pass something else as genuine. If this is indeed a real question I would really want better pics. I would also go to a verified professional and pay to have it authenticated before doing anything. Could be an expensive mistake otherwise.
Old 17 April 2018, 07:38 AM   #9
Mapo
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Aren’t the hands on the subdials really off center?
Mapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 11:23 AM   #10
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
im always hesitant of these 1st posters coming in asking if a several hundred thousand dollar watch looks ok. is this really how you are vetting a purchase that will be as much as a Ferrari? i worry a lot of these posts are from forgers trying to figure out what tells collectors see on their dials that are incorrect. im not an expert but this dial looks fake. ive seen fat sub dial hands on these before on what were legit watches. as a poster mentioned they were on later references. that said, these are fake. even with the subpar pictures, look at how sloppy the paint work is on those subdial hands. ive never seen a real PN with sloppy craftmanship like that. the "T SWISS T" print is also incorrect, imo. i have not seen, and could not find, a legit dial with virtually no spacing between the Ts and the Ss.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 12:57 PM   #11
r4gs
"TRF" Member

The dial and all hands, including subdial hands, are fake. There are specific PN tells, all of which do not pass. While I am inclined to give you the benefit of doubt, I would highly recommend heeding the advice already given in this thread - for PNs, i.e. the most faked Daytona on the planet, tread with extreme caution.
r4gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 04:15 PM   #12
percivalrose
"TRF" Member

hi all - thanks very much for all your input. It is a significant purchase and based on the negative reaction here I will not be making it.

for future reference - I dont have/know anyone who is able to verify whether a vintage is legit. what/ where would you start looking for someone who can reliably examine one?
percivalrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 06:26 PM   #13
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percivalrose View Post
hi all - thanks very much for all your input. It is a significant purchase and based on the negative reaction here I will not be making it.

for future reference - I dont have/know anyone who is able to verify whether a vintage is legit. what/ where would you start looking for someone who can reliably examine one?
A reputable high-end vintage dealer or collector. Your stated location does not help.
Old 18 April 2018, 01:36 AM   #14
SgWatchBaron
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref 6265 PN Panda
What a lovely watch! What’s the asking price?