The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 April 2018, 03:04 AM   #1
GRUNT_Jarksbro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Bracelet needed

I was wondering if anyone could give me a good resource for a bracelet for this old thing. Used would be fine, as a new one might not be worth it. I wanted to see if i could fix it up for sale or trade.

See image

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex.JPG (112.6 KB, 417 views)
GRUNT_Jarksbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 05:17 AM   #2
Vlad
"TRF" Member

should be 19mm band. Look at for sale here, or check out the famous web site where people sell stuff.

What's wrong with your band? Seems like a nice riveted band.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 12:06 PM   #3
GRUNT_Jarksbro
"TRF" Member

The other side is broken and missing a link .
Old 13 April 2018, 11:13 PM   #4
68shark
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 Oysterdate
Bracelet

If you want a more modern band, try a 78350/557 ends. I bought one for my 6694 just as a change from my 7205. They are quite common and don't command the insane prices of the 20mm bands.
68shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 11:31 PM   #5
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Here are a few to get you started in your hunt from that auction site that will pop right on for you assuming that your watch is a model 6694. Some arent the best condition but at least they are in one piece.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-1978-...oAAOSwsGlaoYvm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-VINTA...kAAOSwp0pav5dh

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-19MM-...8TIoHI-S83G1HQ
Old 13 April 2018, 11:39 PM   #6
GRUNT_Jarksbro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shark View Post
If you want a more modern band, try a 78350/557 ends. I bought one for my 6694 just as a change from my 7205. They are quite common and don't command the insane prices of the 20mm bands.
Thank you i will check it out
Old 13 April 2018, 11:43 PM   #7
GRUNT_Jarksbro
"TRF" Member

Thanks Offrdmania.
I believe it is a 6694 made in 1964.
Someone with more knowledge can correct me if i am wrong.
I will post a pic of the bracelet back and the model #
Cheers
Old 13 April 2018, 11:44 PM   #8
GRUNT_Jarksbro
"TRF" Member

Thank you 68 shark.
I will check that out
Old 14 April 2018, 01:08 AM   #9
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I've got some 78350 links collecting dust somewhere. You could swap end links and clasp and probably be right back in business.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 02:21 AM   #10
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
I've got some 78350 links collecting dust somewhere. You could swap end links and clasp and probably be right back in business.
Interesting proposition for him, but the end links on the riveted bands were attached (as far as I remember), so he'll have to play with them, and even if he'll get them to work, the number will not match.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 03:56 AM   #11
GRUNT_Jarksbro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
That might work, its the largest link at the end that is missing. I am not sure how it came to be missing as Vlad is right, i think the links are riveted. I take some images of everything tonight.

My other thought is to send it to Rolex , but it might cost more to fix than the value of the watch ??
I have nothing invested in it, it was in my girlfriends jewelry box and she was doing nothing with it, and me being a watch enthusiast figured I would see what i could do with it.
Old 14 April 2018, 06:40 AM   #12
Paul
"TRF" Member

If it helps ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNT_Jarksbro View Post
That might work, its the largest link at the end that is missing. I am not sure how it came to be missing as Vlad is right, i think the links are riveted. I take some images of everything tonight.

My other thought is to send it to Rolex , but it might cost more to fix than the value of the watch ??
I have nothing invested in it, it was in my girlfriends jewelry box and she was doing nothing with it, and me being a watch enthusiast figured I would see what i could do with it.
Nice watch fella. Forget about Rolex for repairs - they will simply sell you replacment bracelet. If you can source parts, Michael Young in Hong Kong is the go-to guy for repairs. Michael may also be able to supply an end-link etc.

While a rivet oyster bracelet (like we see in your pics) is probably strictly correct, any 19mm Rolex bracelet will do the trick. At 34mm, some fellas consider this style of Rolex a bit small nowadays but it's a great option for woman and for that application, a jubilee bracelet would add a bit of bling to it.

In my experience the collectors of the smaller dress Rolex watches can at times be less demanding that the Sub and GMT crew. I'm thinking a 19mm rivet bracelet with '57' endlinks and a date-coded clasp to match the serial number on your watch's case is probably correct .... but for resale any 19mm Rolex bracelet would do the trick

Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 07:13 AM   #13
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Lots of men still enjoy 34mm Rolex. If the links expand (are spring-loaded) on your existing bracelet, it's probably a 6635.
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 08:34 AM   #14
Paul
"TRF" Member

Agreed. I'm a big fan myself ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.O.L.E.X View Post
Lots of men still enjoy 34mm Rolex. If the links expand (are spring-loaded) on your existing bracelet, it's probably a 6635.
In a world of chunky big watches, there's still plenty of love out there for the 34mm Rolex. Subtly elegant I often think.

This fella seems to agree
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex-gosling.jpg (129.5 KB, 277 views)
Old 14 April 2018, 06:33 PM   #15
pts1956
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT MASTER 6542
Bracelet needed

Your measurements looks to me more like 20mm ? I can heartily recommend watchshop713 on eBay also a member on TRF (TG713 ) he has some incredible vintage bracelets for sale ranging from £350-£414, but not sure if they are correct for your particular model . I have recently received one and it is in beautiful condition ,regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pts1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2018, 11:20 PM   #16
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pts1956 View Post
Your measurements looks to me more like 20mm ? I can heartily recommend watchshop713 on eBay also a member on TRF (TG713 ) he has some incredible vintage bracelets for sale ranging from £350-£414, but not sure if they are correct for your particular model . I have recently received one and it is in beautiful condition ,regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A 6694 uses a 19mm bracelet
Old 15 April 2018, 12:44 AM   #17
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Call Charlie at Watches Etc in Oklahoma City. His eBay name is “djpropel”. If he doesn’t have it on eBay he probably has it in his shop. I’ve been there many times. He has drawers full of bracelets.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 12:08 PM   #18
GRUNT_Jarksbro
"TRF" Member

thank you all. It is a 6694 for those who asked.
Attached is an image of the bracelet. Can anyone tell me what year this is from? Does the 75 mean 1975?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex clasp.jpg (274.7 KB, 212 views)
Old 16 April 2018, 06:30 AM   #19
Paul
"TRF" Member

The '75' stamping ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNT_Jarksbro View Post
thank you all. It is a 6694 for those who asked.
Attached is an image of the bracelet. Can anyone tell me what year this is from? Does the 75 mean 1975?

The C&I bracelets with the '75' stamping on the clasp do pop up and yes, it may indicate a manufacture date of 1975.

I recall the topic of the '75' clasp stamping being discussed on VRF years ago with some clever theories put forward. The demise of Network54's search engine means all that valuable info. is not available - temporarily at least.

All I know is ..... Rolex used the clasp date stamping system that saw the month and year in a triangle format (see pic below) until the early 1970s' ... followed by a spell when bracelets weren't dated .... with a new date stamping system ( see the 2nd pic) kicking in around 1976.

So, while '1975' was an in-between year, I'd note that while we certainly see clasps stamped '75' I don't recall seeing any stamped '73' or '74'

The C&I bracelet on the OPs' Rolex 6694 is quite possibly AOK original to the watch. It's a USA made bracelet, probably should have no stampings on the endlinks to be all correct. The price of 19mm bracelets (especially rivet bracelets) has jumped in recent years - might be worth simply resurrecting the bracelet you have if you can source the links and endlink needed .

NB: Not my pics - credit to Merlin /VRF for the 2nd pic ... and some random person for the first pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clasp.jpg (210.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Clasp_modern.jpg (195.0 KB, 179 views)
Old 16 April 2018, 08:30 AM   #20
GRUNT_Jarksbro
"TRF" Member

You are correct Paul that there is no date on the linked end !
I need to take the other end off and check the serial number and see if it is the original band. My research on the serial # (last time i took it apart i forgot to write it down) said it was 1964. But it was a bit confusing so that may be incorrect
Old 19 April 2018, 11:43 AM   #21
GRUNT_Jarksbro
"TRF" Member

Hello again experts. I just noticed that the hour and minute hands on this oyster date 6694 have squared ends. Any images I can find on the web of this model have pointed hands . Should I be concerned about this? Could this indicate a fake or a repair or is this feature normal?
Also can anyone give me a production date based on 7 digit serial # starting 103xxxx
Cheers