The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 April 2018, 02:38 AM   #31
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Does wearing any particular watch 'get old'? Sure. Maybe. Sometimes. It depends on the person wearing it.

Wearing a vintage watch or new one is no different. It's all preference.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 02:47 AM   #32
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whofeelitknowsit View Post
depends on you, really.
+1.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 04:43 AM   #33
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tototacoro View Post
Maybe I'm asking the wrong crowd, here. Are vintage worth their first impression charm, or does wearing a vintage get old? No pun intended
For me items with an interesting story behind them are far more interesting. It is a lot easier to have that sort of story to tell if anyone takes an interest with something that is 50 years old and has some sort of historical significance.

Of course that same sort of sentimental value and story can be often seen when people make milestone watch purchases or receive them as gifts (i.e. "I got this from my parents as a graduation gift").

I think it is important to have a non-vintage piece or two. Most would recommend a vintage watch whether a sports model or not be treated in a similar way as a precious metal dress watch, guarding carefully against scratches and water exposure.

With a vintage piece you are far more likely, even if you are amongst others who appreciate fine watches to not have the same piece on as someone else in the room.
dexvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 05:21 AM   #34
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
hell yes!

1968, 5513
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex M B.jpg (287.9 KB, 75 views)
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 11:17 PM   #35
ChrisB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexvd View Post
... receive them as gifts (i.e. "I got this from my parents as a graduation gift").

I think it is important to have a non-vintage piece or two. Most would recommend a vintage watch whether a sports model or not be treated in a similar way as a precious metal dress watch, guarding carefully against scratches and water exposure.
I received my 1016 Explorer from my godparents on my 18th birthday, the same model as my godfather wore, and it is a constant reminder of them even though they have passed on and I am 64. It reflects all my needs for a watch (both sports/rugged capability and smart enough to be dressy when needed to go with a business suit or black tie) and I wear it 24/7, except when umpiring hockey with my stopwatch/GPS/heart-monitor, taking the inevitable knocks and polishing our crystal scratches when necessary. I also accept the costs (and, worse than that, the temporary 'loss') for servicing to keep it running accurately and reliably - it is not an investment or a simple keepsake, thus I am happy to accept genuine Rolex replacement parts to keep it right - unlike others who consider this to be a travesty for a vintage timepiece that has to be kept original [even if that means it no longer tells the time accurately or at all?] I don't need or want another watch than my vintage Explorer.
ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote