The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 29 July 2015, 04:49 PM   #31
Sammk
"TRF" Member

Watch: & learn
I've been using a winder for a couple of years now. It's just at out convenience. I rotate my watches quite often. Anywhere between 3-6days like you. I like to see them running and ready to wear. You don't really "need" one but I feel it will be more convenient once you start using

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedblades View Post
Hello all, question for all of you. I have 2 pieces in my meager collection, a LV sub and a GMT ll. I wear them both but rotate them when it feels right to do so. On avg. I guess I wear each 3-6 days before putting one up and getting another out. I always have to wind 40 and set the date. Is this bad for these watches or is that not an overly long time for one to sit. I do not have a winder and was wondering if one was truly "needed". Opinions?
Thanks
Dave
Old 29 July 2015, 05:40 PM   #32
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
A. The notion of "overwinding a watch" on a winder is not to say that the mainspring will be overwound but rather that the rotor will incur unnecessary overuse... even then if you look at what I wrote you'll notice I said "theoretically". Indeed, I've never heard of damage of this sort forcing someone to have their watch serviced... its speculative.

B. You've completely missed my point re-"winding a million times to re-set". Perhaps you've never had a watch without a quick set date function. But the reality for those who have encountered having to reset the date in the middle of the month on a watch without such a function is that winding the minute hand around and around (dare I say a million times to exaggerate the point) actually does incur a bit of stress to the gears. In fact, it's often recommended that people wait for the actual date to catch up with that displayed on the watch to avoid this. Something a winder would ameliorate. I hope thats clearer.

In short back to the OP. Winders = good, but make sure you get a good one that you can set correct amount of RPD for.
And how do you think those millions of Rolex watches owners without the quick set feature managed before these machines came on the market.And there must be still millions of these watches still running today and never been on a winding machine.Plus in the average 10 hours or wearing if reasonably active the pendulum rotor would turn far more on the wrist than the 650-750 turns a day to keep the movement running on a machine

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 1 August 2015, 02:04 AM   #33
forgedblades
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV/CokeGMT II
Wow, some real great information on real world experiences and theory. I again just want what best for the health of the watches long term. I understand that mechanical things wear out and running constantly causes wear and failure. So in the end I think I will just keep thinks as they are. Again, thank all of you for your input and comments.
Dave
Old 25 April 2018, 04:01 PM   #34
BentleyReese
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116622
I got a Chiyoda Single Watch on amazon and work great. I use a wall timer so that the watch winder is not on all 24 hours. I set the timer so that the watch winder has electricity flowing to it from 8:00am to 6:00pm. Set it at 650 TPD and bidirectional. Just set it and forget it.
Old 25 April 2018, 04:02 PM   #35
BentleyReese
"TRF" Member

Watch: YachtMaster 116622
got it on Amazon
Closed Thread