The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 April 2018, 04:17 AM   #1
jmartin9350
"TRF" Member

Buying my first Rolex!!

Well I have read a few topics and read a few boards on Facebook but I still have some major questions.

I have asked several friends that have Rolex's and its been about a 50/50 split Buy New from AD or Buy Used from a certain website or this forum a few times.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of used?

If I buy new are there cash discounts? I have read something about no tax discounts what are those?

I didn't realize this was going to be so involved. I was hoping it was going to be easy just choose Submariner Date model I want.

Any advice or direction you could help me with would be great. Or threads you know, you could point me that way it would be great.

Thanks everyone!
jmartin9350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 07:46 AM   #2
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
For your first I’d go the authorized dealer route , since you have no relationship with them you prb won’t get any discounts ESPECIALLY on stainless steel sport models. If you wanna save on tax go to your adjoining state and buy from an ad there and have them ship it to your house and save on sales tax.
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 07:48 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome aboard.

I’d buy from an AD for my first. Great way to start forging a relationship and also get experience of buying a watch brand sparking new.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 07:55 AM   #4
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I don’t buy used watches. I have no way of knowing if the watch is 100 percent authentic. It’s not uncommon to have non Rolex parts installed in Rolex watches.

Also, I don’t see a big price discount for used stainless steel watches compared to AD prices.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 08:40 AM   #5
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

First off, you picked a hell of a (bad) time to start. Highly unlikely you'll get a discount on a Sub from an AD. Currently, you'll pay a premium if you go gray market (might be worth it if you save on tax).

My first Rolex was used. I like it just as much as my new from AD ones, but I'm also not one of the "all the scratches need to be mine and my name needs to be on the warranty" people.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 09:00 AM   #6
DahMan
Banned

Elect the option that best satisfies. I couldn’t wait for an AD, I would buy Grey if I had to have it. Plenty of resources on this site.
If I walked into an AD and could get my name on owner card, Thats also worth a personal thing to me.
There both good gets......
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 09:03 AM   #7
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
You asked a few difficult questions here. Some prefer new from AD and others pre owned from dealers, private sellers, or trusted sellers. It’s all a matter of preference really and what you feel most comfortable with. If you do go down the pre owned route just make sure you go the due diligence before handing over any money!! Best of luck!!
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 09:05 AM   #8
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
The deal with the no tax discount is as follows:

If you can have the ad ship the watch out of state, then you won’t have to pay the taxes

I bought my first one new, for peace of mind.

Now though, I feel like buying from q trusted seller might be a good idea. Sometimes you can find good deals depending what you’re looking for.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 09:10 AM   #9
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

For your first sub buy BNIB from a TS. Or ship out of state for AD. I would also consider mint examples on the FSOT forum that can be had for 7800-8000.
Old 24 April 2018, 09:11 AM   #10
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I really do not have a preference. I buy from whoever has the watch I want at a fair market price. The last few years, that has mainly been trusted sellers on here for new watches or private sellers for used/vintage. I have been doing this a long time though and feel comfortable dealing with non AD's. I get why some recommend using the AD especially for your first. Too many scammers out there.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 12:10 PM   #11
jmartin9350
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the help and comments so far!!
jmartin9350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 01:43 PM   #12
ashokleyland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060,PAM,DJ
First rolex should be an AD purchase imo... Nothing beats the experience of wearing a watch as first owner and removing that plastic stickers.
ashokleyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 01:11 AM   #13
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Grey market (new or pre-owned) used to be cheaper, nowadays it's more expensive. Going to an AD is the way to go and the cheaper alternative. You may have to wait a little on Dive watches or GMT's, at my AD usually a few weeks, smaller AD may be a few month... You may get a small discount on what they have in stock, it never hurt to ask. Some AD, such as mine give loyalty rewards (think miles for watches) so not he second purchase, you get a small discount...
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 01:35 AM   #14
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
No rush

Take your time, chat to a few people learn all you can about the type of Rolex you want, keep an eye of the classifieds.

I'm in the process of trying to buy my 2nd Rolex and I'm not finding it any easier since my first.

Try to be patient as all good things come to them who wait.......
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 05:06 PM   #15
jcclx1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
As everyone is saying going to be tough to get a discount on a SS Sub, so if you can find one at an AD buy it there. I've had great results buying BNIB from trusted sellers on here, so
I think that's a good option as well. But again if you can source one at a AD, and you are not getting a discount, its a great experience buying your first from an AD. Good luck, and great choice for a first.

If Columbus had turned back, no one would have blamed him. Of course, no one would have remembered him either

Unknown
jcclx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 05:15 PM   #16
Atom4
"TRF" Member

I can guarantee there will be no discounts on Submariners in Stainless Steel. I bought one last year before the shortages got real bad and there wasn't any wiggle room. If you buy a Precious Metal Rolex or Ladies Rolex or perhaps the less desirable Day Dates you might be able to get maybe a 5-6% discount? That's just my experience...Good luck!
Atom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 05:18 PM   #17
jmrxtr
"TRF" Member

Watch: PamRolexIWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome aboard.

I’d buy from an AD for my first. Great way to start forging a relationship and also get experience of buying a watch brand sparking new.
totally agree. and it's a fun memorable life experience
jmrxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 05:25 PM   #18
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I suggest you read all the threads on here posted by those who are frustrated that they can't get the most highly sought after pieces. If there is a chance that you will in the future want to develop a collection that includes tough-to-get watches, then the answer is simple...you will need a relationship with an AD.

I bought some watches early on that were available cheaper at grey dealers, but I chose the AD route. I've since had no problem getting the most highly sought after Rolex watches.

If on the other hand it's a one-time purchase, or you are happy and able to pay premiums in the future, then grey is probably the way to go for expediency and potentially price depending on the model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:22 AM   #19
arosado
Banned

Watch: Rolex, AP & Omega
1st watch? Go to an AD.
arosado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:25 AM   #20
MinMay
Banned

No discount from AD. Check both AD and trusted sellers if price is a concern.

It should not be stressful.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 09:31 AM   #21
sotsdisc
"TRF" Member

Why not new from a trusted seller? Depending on mode save on MSRP/TAX but not have to wear someone else's scratches
sotsdisc is offline   Reply With Quote