The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 April 2018, 12:15 AM   #1
john30
"TRF" Member

Red Submariner

Hello, I would like to ask what everyone thinks about the condition of this red submariner that I'm considering to purchase. It comes in a full set and the price is approx. 32k usd. Its a MK5 (I can't tell from the watch but it's what I have been told). I will greatly appreciate any of your comments. Thank you!
john30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 12:27 AM   #2
SgWatchBaron
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref 6265 PN Panda
Quote:
Originally Posted by john30 View Post
Hello, I would like to ask what everyone thinks about the condition of this red submariner that I'm considering to purchase. It comes in a full set and the price is approx. 32k usd. Its a MK5 (I can't tell from the watch but it's what I have been told). I will greatly appreciate any of your comments. Thank you!

That’s a really exorbitant price. Punched papers? Watch seems to be unpolished. But 32k? Too much...
Old 12 April 2018, 12:32 AM   #3
john30
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgWatchBaron View Post
That’s a really exorbitant price. Punched papers? Watch seems to be unpolished. But 32k? Too much...
Thank you for your reply. Yes it is punched papers with everything else complete. How much do you think this should be?
john30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 12:48 AM   #4
redordead
"TRF" Member

im curious too as i am looking....but i have seen a couple priced at 30k usd and less so far
redordead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 01:04 AM   #5
redordead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redordead View Post
im curious too as i am looking....but i have seen a couple priced at 30k usd and less so far
with box/papers mk IV and V
redordead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 01:08 AM   #6
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
In this market and from a dealer, that price to me is in line for a red sub complete set in nice condition
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 01:30 AM   #7
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Perhaps shockingly, it's not anymore. Here's one at HQ Milton withOUT B&P, fo a lot more...

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...first-dial-A77
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 01:33 AM   #8
SgWatchBaron
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref 6265 PN Panda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Perhaps shockingly, it's not anymore. Here's one at HQ Milton withOUT B&P, fo a lot more...

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...first-dial-A77

Rookie mistake to compare a MK 1 metre first to a MK 5 ft first...
Old 12 April 2018, 01:38 AM   #9
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks.
Old 12 April 2018, 01:41 AM   #10
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Thats a really nice example of a great time piece, it's up to you if you think it's worth it but the dealer will get his price you can be pretty sure of that.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 01:54 AM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
It would be nice to see some photos of the set.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 01:59 AM   #12
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Pretty sure this would have come with a 93150 bracelet. Not sure why they wouldn't have sourced a period correct bracelet.

Not sure what's going on here with the end link, but I'd check to see that the serial hasn't been worn away by rubbing here.

Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 03:14 AM   #13
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Pretty sure this would have come with a 93150 bracelet. Not sure why they wouldn't have sourced a period correct bracelet.

Not sure what's going on here with the end link, but I'd check to see that the serial hasn't been worn away by rubbing here.

It’s a C-I rivet. All correct if the watch was sold in the US. They have one size fit all (or none) ends.
Old 12 April 2018, 03:26 AM   #14
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
It’s a C-I rivet. All correct if the watch was sold in the US. They have one size fit all (or none) ends.
Even for a Mk5? I didn't know they were still producing them in the mid to late '70s.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 03:33 AM   #15
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Even for a Mk5? I didn't know they were still producing them in the mid to late '70s.
They were available until the late 70’s unlike the Swiss 7206 which ended in the 60’s.
Old 12 April 2018, 03:56 AM   #16
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Maybe not so Rookie..
The crazy world we are living in now shows the red sub has almost caught up in price with the DRSD..

As to meters first or ft first red 1680's, times have also changed and the prices have almost caught up with each other as well. Many of the new collectors of the world don't want to pay the premium for something as simple as a meters first VS a ft first example.. Unless the dial has some tropical effects, I have noticed this trend within the market the past few years.

Like I said, crazy world.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:10 AM   #17
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
Maybe not so Rookie..
The crazy world we are living in now shows the red sub has almost caught up in price with the DRSD..

As to meters first or ft first red 1680's, times have also changed and the prices have almost caught up with each other as well. Many of the new collectors of the world don't want to pay the premium for something as simple as a meters first VS a ft first example.. Unless the dial has some tropical effects, I have noticed this trend within the market the past few years.

Equal condition and you will see a big difference. But a mint feet first will cost more than an average mters first. Condition is everything nowdays.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:17 AM   #18
1675-David
"TRF" Member

both the watches mentioned here tick all the boxes and ticked boxes = €€€, or whatever currency you prefer.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 04:27 AM   #19
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
Maybe not so Rookie..

Old 12 April 2018, 04:31 AM   #20
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Equal condition and you will see a big difference. But a mint feet first will cost more than an average mters first. Condition is everything nowdays.
Depending on the dealer, sure you might see a difference, but I BIG difference, unlikely. There would be no market and wouldn't sell.

However, we are speaking about items that are worth what ever someone is willing to pay... I am just speaking purely on the trends I have seen. many collectors have stayed away from the meters first example reds just because they don't feel the premium is worth it. So when you thin out the market, you thin out the price. that's what happened.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:40 AM   #21
roh123
"TRF" Member

Each to their own. In my opinion the meters first red subs will fetch a much higher price as they are much, much more collectible. For less than perfect condition I can imagine the spread is smaller as there aren’t buyers around that would value meters first higher than a similar feet first.

We don’t need to agree on this. I will just congratulate whoever finds a perfect meters first for the same price as a later version.
Old 12 April 2018, 04:59 AM   #22
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Each to their own. In my opinion the meters first red subs will fetch a much higher price as they are much, much more collectible. For less than perfect condition I can imagine the spread is smaller as there aren’t buyers around that would value meters first higher than a similar feet first.

We don’t need to agree on this. I will just congratulate whoever finds a perfect meters first for the same price as a later version.
there is no such thing as "perfect"... however, if one does surface, I can promise you it will fetch a huge premium regardless of the ft vs meters scenario.

We don't need to agree on it either, I agree with that. Far more new collectors in the game that I have spoken with time and time again, all who don't want to spend a higher price for a meters first variation. Times are changing whether we like it or not.

condition and full sets are commanding the premiums these days. this is not directed toward tropical variants as stated earlier. It is known about the paint defect that meters first subs had that caused the discoloration. I am just referring to standard meters first examples.

There is a small premium meters vs ft, but the huge premium days are over I feel.
Old 12 April 2018, 07:57 AM   #23
subx
"TRF" Member

imho -and I've been in the game 20 years now- it's just a matter of a couple years before the meters first dials take off away from the feet first, as they are the original version, and much rarer ( see production numbers ), just like gilt 59-67 will take off further in due time away from its current under valued state vs matte dials prices as of late, and then the early gilt 59-62 will take off further away from later gilt 63-67. nothing happens in one swoop :)
subx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 08:57 AM   #24
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:

I think it depends what kind of collector is buying the watch. For me, the whole meters-first thing is one of the biggest over-hyped features on a vintage Rolex, whether it's a 1680 or 5512/5513. The overall condition is so much more important, and I'd never, ever pay a premium for a meters-first watch.

Gilt vs. matte, yes, that's an important difference, but the order of the depth rating never impressed me as significant enough to fork over more money. Of course meters-first watches are slightly older, but so what? I'd much rather have a crisp feet-first Sub than a tired-looking meters-first Sub. Just one man's opinion after about 20 years of collecting.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:17 AM   #25
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I think it depends what kind of collector is buying the watch. For me, the whole meters-first thing is one of the biggest over-hyped features on a vintage Rolex, whether it's a 1680 or 5512/5513. The overall condition is so much more important, and I'd never, ever pay a premium for a meters-first watch.

Gilt vs. matte, yes, that's an important difference, but the order of the depth rating never impressed me as significant enough to fork over more money. Of course meters-first watches are slightly older, but so what? I'd much rather have a crisp feet-first Sub than a tired-looking meters-first Sub. Just one man's opinion after about 20 years of collecting.
Well.. There are those that do value rarity high and that means they will fetch a higher price. Not like there are many great examples around in the market. I can agree with you as we both seem to value aesthetics before rarity but regardless a meters first in top collector condition will fetch more money than a feet first in similar quality. You and me are just not the buyers.. When not in collector condition I can see that the difference in price is much less as people buying watches in average condition or worse is less likely to care about rarity at all.
Old 12 April 2018, 09:26 AM   #26
frankoman
Banned

Watch: 1968 1675
Quote:
How is comparing two red subs a mistake?
frankoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:33 AM   #27
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankoman View Post
How is comparing two red subs a mistake?
One version is much more rare and expensive than the other.
Old 12 April 2018, 09:40 AM   #28
frankoman
Banned

Watch: 1968 1675
Quote:
One version is much more rare and expensive than the other.
Understood - but it's not a mistake. That's how we learn.
frankoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:44 AM   #29
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Aftermarket endpieces?
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:45 AM   #30
roh123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.O.L.E.X View Post
Aftermarket endpieces?
C-I rivets have unmarked ends. They usually don’t fit any model very well.