The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 June 2018, 01:45 AM   #1
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

Display back Speedmaster question

What is the best value in a Speedmaster with a display case back?

Thanks!!
BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 03:20 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Most Speedmaster enthusiasts probably think of the "Sapphire Sandwich" first, which is the nickname for the traditional, hand-wound Speedmaster Professional that has had its Hesalite crystal replaced with a sapphire one, and its steel case-back and soft iron inner dust shield replaced with a transparent case-back. If the idea is to have a traditional Speedmaster Professional with a transparent case-back, then this is probably the watch you want.

It's reference 311.30.42.30.01.006 now, but if you're shopping for one pre-owned then you should note that the reference number on Omega's old format for reference numbers was 3573.50 (on a bracelet): https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...31130423001006

Omega's site has a "Watch Finder" function that allows you to see catalog offerings based on preferred criteria. See if this link takes you to the Watch Finder with criteria set for all watches in the Speedmaster Collection with Transparent Case-back. Other search criteria should show on the left side of the page, and there you can make other selections to narrow your search.

I think there are transparent case-backs on pretty much all of the watches with Calibre 93XX (recently developed self-winding caliber with Co-Axial escapement, silicon hairspring, twin mainspring barrels, date display, etc.). Check out the watches in the "Speedmaster 57" collection. There is interesting variety there, but note that owners have commented that they sit tall on the wrist (not always a bad thing, but worth noting).

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...functions=1958

Hope this helps!
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 03:35 AM   #3
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, thanks for the great info!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Most Speedmaster enthusiasts probably think of the "Sapphire Sandwich" first, which is the nickname for the traditional, hand-wound Speedmaster Professional that has had its Hesalite crystal replaced with a sapphire one, and its steel case-back and soft iron inner dust shield replaced with a transparent case-back. If the idea is to have a traditional Speedmaster Professional with a transparent case-back, then this is probably the watch you want.

It's reference 311.30.42.30.01.006 now, but if you're shopping for one pre-owned then you should note that the reference number on Omega's old format for reference numbers was 3573.50 (on a bracelet): https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...31130423001006

Omega's site has a "Watch Finder" function that allows you to see catalog offerings based on preferred criteria. See if this link takes you to the Watch Finder with criteria set for all watches in the Speedmaster Collection with Transparent Case-back. Other search criteria should show on the left side of the page, and there you can make other selections to narrow your search.

I think there are transparent case-backs on pretty much all of the watches with Calibre 93XX (recently developed self-winding caliber with Co-Axial escapement, silicon hairspring, twin mainspring barrels, date display, etc.). Check out the watches in the "Speedmaster 57" collection. There is interesting variety there, but note that owners have commented that they sit tall on the wrist (not always a bad thing, but worth noting).

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...functions=1958

Hope this helps!
BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 06:17 AM   #4
stockae92
"TRF" Member

The best value I think is the Speedmaster with 9300 movement.

its a 44.5mm case, with both dome front and back sapphire crystal, which shows off the nicely finished movement.

The movement itself is bicomplex, but still have 12 hr chronograph. co-axial escapement, 60 hr PR (something long like that), column wheel and vertical clutch, awesome lume.

Some people don't like it because its not the watch that went to the moon. But to me it is the "better" watch, for not much more money.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 11:31 PM   #5
jackin_jill
"TRF" Member

[/QUOTE]...to me it is the "better" watch, for not much more money.[/QUOTE]

At £2,300 more I'd say it was significantly more expensive, don't you think?

Although I do agree that with the coaxial movement, sapphire crystal and display caseback you do get a lot more for your money.

When i compared them in the flesh I'd swear that on the 44.25mm coaxial version that the bezel was ceramic? Can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
jackin_jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 06:16 AM   #6
jackin_jill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
But to me it is the "better" watch, for not much more money.
I think it's actually quite a lot more money to be honest. Almost 75% more than the price of a moonwatch.

Although I do agree that it is a far better watch with it's sapphire crystal, co-axial movement and display caseback.

When comparing them side by side I could swear the 9300 also has a ceramic bezel? Can anyone confirm this?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
jackin_jill is offline   Reply With Quote