The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2023, 07:20 AM   #61
Steverin06
Banned

In all honesty, those who understand the Rolex game will agree that giving your first shot at a sports model is courageous. The SA should have explained it before turning you down.
Steverin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 07:39 AM   #62
cdm765
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Rude but honest.

I’d rather just get it to my face vs. feeling like a sucker on some “list”.
cdm765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 07:57 AM   #63
Hx2
"TRF" Member

I can only speak from my own experiences with Mappin and Webb, I use two of their branches, and they really couldn’t be more different, from the OP’s findings.
Over the years I’ve managed to get everything I’ve asked for, many very soon after release.

GMT 116710BLNR
Submariner 116610LV
JC Deepsea 116660
Seadweller 126600
Daytona 116500
Submariner 126610
GMT 126710BLRO
OP41 (turquoise)

The only one that’s eluded me, is the blue Sky-dweller, I was offered a blue dial with the Jubilee bracelet, but passed, because I prefer the muted look of the Oyster bracelet, on an already busy looking watch
Old 8 April 2023, 10:02 AM   #64
Loujo
2024 Pledge Member

I have to give it to Rolex. They make well over 1 million watches each year, and somehow they are able to keep the demand even higher. This is master class in marketing. I am curious how much is their own doing vs. social media influencers. Someone needs to write a book about it.

But I also don't want a Rolex that much that I have to suck up to a SA. It's not like they are rare or something.
Loujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 04:56 PM   #65
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhucke View Post
I visited a Mappin and Webb in Cambridge and it was the same. I could not have been treated more rudely. Maybe my American accent turned him off. Don't know, but I did tell him I would spend my money somewhere else.
They were actively rude to you when you walked in? Or did you ask for steel sports models and get a frosty response?
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 05:29 PM   #66
ACWATCHES
"TRF" Member

They probably think everybody knows or should know the game or situation by now, must be very tiring for them, though it is their job to explain nicely.
ACWATCHES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2023, 06:01 PM   #67
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Ones perception of a store will all depend on whether you get the watch/watches you want.
If you do you'll think it's a wonderful store, they'll be super nice to you, give you a glass of champagne when you collect and even send you a Christmas/Birthday card.

If they don't supply you with a watch, or even tell you that there's no way you will ever get the watch you want then you will think they are awful/rude/condescending.

Two people's perception of the same store, even the same SA can be wildly different dependent on whether they have the first experience or the second.
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 08:32 AM   #68
theparry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I bought my last Rolex at Mappin Webb Regent ST London , found them to be friendly most helpful , would recommend .
I bought my first Rolex from there in 2018 and they were absolutely fantastic. The SA who helped me has since left but the purchase helped me across the road at WoS where I picked up my Explorer and Submariner within weeks of each other last year.
theparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 10:06 AM   #69
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I’m not surprised. I’ve bought two GMT’s from them. A LN and a CHNR.

Been on the Pepsi waitlist for years, (not that bothered because I still having my 5 digit Pepsi and I’m kinda going off the watch in any case).

I also ordered a Cellini from them but the watch was discontinued before it ever arrived.

My last visit it was made clear that I should consider a Tudor or a Breitling to get the spend up because the kids in head office likely won’t approve a Pepsi without further spend.

I’m done with them now. Any Rolex is readily available. You may as well go grey if the cost of the Rolex you really want includes the cost of a load of crap that you don’t.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 10:24 AM   #70
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I really dont understand when people have this entitled attitude.

Yes, it’s not always a great experience as they don’t have enough supply for the demand.
From the sounds of it you haven’t bought anything from them and are a fresh walk in.
I don’t know what you asked for but I’ll assume it was something highly desirable.

Iv bought a couple of pieces from Mappin and Webb. Took about 3 years to get the watch I initially asked for. WOS being a large chain have a lot of corporate rules which I find make it more difficult than other ADs.

The registrations of interest are closed on most of the desirable stuff even for people with history as they can’t satisfy demand.
Hulkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 11:00 AM   #71
dhucke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub
I asked to see a watch and all I got was attitude
dhucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 11:03 AM   #72
dhucke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
They were actively rude to you when you walked in? Or did you ask for steel sports models and get a frosty response?
I walked in and asked if someone would show me a watch (an Omega Speedster) and I received nothing but attitude and was asked to set up an appointment even though SA's were just standing around.
dhucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 04:40 PM   #73
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhucke View Post
I walked in and asked if someone would show me a watch (an Omega Speedster) and I received nothing but attitude and was asked to set up an appointment even though SA's were just standing around.
Yes often they’re appointment only.
Especially on Rolex but not as much on Omega
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 07:33 PM   #74
opfanboy
"TRF" Member

I changed my AD from a WoS to an indie and the level of service was wildly different. Much, much better. So much so, they'll be getting all my business from now on. WoS wont miss me too much because I'm only planning on buying 4-5 Rolex models, perhaps 1-2 tudor(s), and a few items of jewellery (a couple of chains/rings etc) - but due to their stinking attitude they've lost all of my custom.

Thanks to everyone on this forum, I've been able to get a better AD who respects me and my decisions. I think the moral of the story is: find an AD / SA that want to work with you. Then be polite, courteous, realistic - and most of all - be yourself
opfanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2023, 11:08 PM   #75
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by opfanboy View Post
I think the moral of the story is: find an AD / SA that want to work with you. Then be polite, courteous, realistic - and most of all - be yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 12:59 AM   #76
plainsdrifter
Banned

Watch: Explorer II
Agreed. I bought an E2 from Mappin in Cambridge in 2019. Chris is the guy to talk to.
And there's always eBay!
plainsdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 01:15 AM   #77
omar10213245
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemooner87 View Post
The manager of the Manchester branch said, and I quote "the OP is not a realistic place to start your rolex journey" I asked what is realistic and he said if I was willing to wait I could eventually get a DJ but not a desirable colourway.
LOL! always cracks me up when I hear folks talk about how an AD tells them about their "journey". Those folks are something else, aren't they?
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2023, 06:58 AM   #78
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar10213245 View Post
LOL! always cracks me up when I hear folks talk about how an AD tells them about their "journey". Those folks are something else, aren't they?
Agreed, such a joke. Something tells me we'll have the last laugh.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote