The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 July 2013, 09:42 AM   #1
johnnycanuck
"TRF" Member

Newbie question on a 6422

Hi all,

Just a newbie watch collector here looking for some help on a potential buy. I have been more into vintage Hamiltons and Wittnauers, but have been toying with the idea of getting a vintage Rolex. I am drawn to the slim hand wind models with linen coloured dials from the 50s and 60s.

There are a couple on Ebay of interest, one with a 710 movement, and one that is more local (Canada) with a more "modern" 1210 movement. The latter one is the one I am quite intrigued with and am wondering about a couple of things, specifically the hands and the dial. The case number and SN seem to be consistent with the 1958 date as far as I can tell... I am not good at judging dial perfection yet. I am still trying to get a feel for appropriate pricing for these vintage but not "super desirable" pieces.

Regards,

Clinton

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=271244994433
johnnycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2013, 11:45 AM   #2
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Disclaimer: I'm on my iPhone a d the pics are small, and it won't let me zoom. The font appears okay and consistent, I don't think it's a repaint. Someone with better technological and resolution capabilities will be along shorty
Old 31 July 2013, 02:13 AM   #3
johnnycanuck
"TRF" Member

Thanks!

Much appreciated. I am going to be in Victoria for a couple of days and will see if I can get a look at the watch when I am down there.

Regards,

Clinton
johnnycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2013, 02:36 PM   #4
fforte393
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6424 Big Oyster
johnny,

nice looking piece. That appears to be a fair price given the condition of the watch (dial appears to have been refinished at some point--with a watch of this age, NO patina or aging at all is very uncommon). I own a 6424 which was a special oyster precision that they released in 36mm with 20mm lugs in less numbers. It too has the 1210 movement. I posted about it in the forum just the other day. The movement is very robust. Mine is from 1959--original power reserve on the 1210 was 58 hours, mine holds just slightly under 50 hours which is pretty good considering the age. It also keeps excellent time, losing about 5-6s/day and most of that seems to be when in the box. On the wrist its a bit more accurate at -2,-3/day, which is within COSC specs. I have owned other vintage pieces before (not rolex), and they have been in the -/+ 15-20s/day range.

As for your concerns, I have seen that dial style before, and the hands are actually just like mine if you take a look, except mine have a bit of tritium in the center, but overall same sword like shape and made of gold. The second hand appears to be the same as mine as well, however I cannot tell from the picture if yours is blued like mine is. As for the placement of the Coronet (rolex crown) on the dial, it is certainly alot less common to have it below the 12 o'clock marker instead of AS the 12 o clock marker. Mine is like yours in this respect as well, but if you do a little research you will see the majority of examples have the coronet as the 12 marker.

Hope this helps.
fforte393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2013, 11:12 PM   #5
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
I'd shoot for a better one, price is on the high side, quality is on the low side. You should be able to get one with a bracelet around that price. I have a Rolex oyster from 1972 original band and dial. I traded my 1998 Cbr900rr I paid $1600 for. That came with a bracelet and original dial. This watch isn't super collectible so all original good condition specimens are not too crazy (1400-1800) is a good price for an all original model with the original or a replacement Rolex bracelet. I love this watch to no end though and think its the perfect entry model Rolex. I wanted a datejust because that's what I could afford and I wanted an automatic. But having the manual wind 1210 movement is great. It's extremely robust, parts are plentiful, and it's not an arm and a leg to get serviced. It looks great, it's a classic Rolex, and I've been wearing mine everyday since I bought it in December and it's really a great all around watch that I love more and more everyday. It was my first "real" watch so to speak. I had bought plenty of quartz movement watches from 10-18 and finally convinced myself to buy this after I graduated and have no regrets. But I was on the hunt for 6 years before I ended up being able to afford it, and when I saw it, it was love at first sight. The strange thing was I didn't even know of this models existence until I owned it!!!
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2013, 11:24 PM   #6
fforte393
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
I'd shoot for a better one, price is on the high side, quality is on the low side. You should be able to get one with a bracelet around that price. I have a Rolex oyster from 1972 original band and dial. I traded my 1998 Cbr900rr I paid $1600 for. That came with a bracelet and original dial. This watch isn't super collectible so all original good condition specimens are not too crazy (1400-1800) is a good price for an all original model with the original or a replacement Rolex bracelet. I love this watch to no end though and think its the perfect entry model Rolex. I wanted a datejust because that's what I could afford and I wanted an automatic. But having the manual wind 1210 movement is great. It's extremely robust, parts are plentiful, and it's not an arm and a leg to get serviced. It looks great, it's a classic Rolex, and I've been wearing mine everyday since I bought it in December and it's really a great all around watch that I love more and more everyday. It was my first "real" watch so to speak. I had bought plenty of quartz movement watches from 10-18 and finally convinced myself to buy this after I graduated and have no regrets. But I was on the hunt for 6 years before I ended up being able to afford it, and when I saw it, it was love at first sight. The strange thing was I didn't even know of this models existence until I owned it!!!
Andromeda, I think the prices must have gone up a bit since you purchased. When I was on the hunt recently I had trouble finding a retail oyster precision for that price with a metal bracelet so I settled for strap and I looked for awhile (independent dealers only).

Also I prefer a vintage/original/non refurbished dial, but some like a clean dial. I think you would definitely have to shoot for the high mark of that $1800 range to get a bracelet IMO.

Andromeda, where did you purchase from if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 4 August 2013, 11:35 PM   #7
andromeda160
Banned

Got mine on Craigslist, got really lucky as I got it from a watch collector. But I saw one with a blk original stick dial on here and it was 1400obo with bracelet by the time it sold. It was sold by ralpie if you wanna see the ad, same watch as mine but his were just gold sticks. Not gold/white. But the owner wanted $1300 cash or $1500 trade value. And I had just blown second gear on the bike I paid $1600 for and did a straight trade and I paid for the uhual to haul the bike home
Old 4 August 2013, 11:41 PM   #8
fforte393
"TRF" Member

Nice, that sounds like an awesome find! You know the guy took care of it.

Johnny, maybe you should browse the forum for a bit. The oyster precision's definitely come up for sale quite a bit so I wouldn't fret if you miss it, but maybe there's an opportunity to get one on a bracelet if that's what you are looking for

Old 4 August 2013, 11:42 PM   #9
andromeda160
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fforte393 View Post
Andromeda, I think the prices must have gone up a bit since you purchased. When I was on the hunt recently I had trouble finding a retail oyster precision for that price with a metal bracelet so I settled for strap and I looked for awhile (independent dealers only).

Also I prefer a vintage/original/non refurbished dial, but some like a clean dial. I think you would definitely have to shoot for the high mark of that $1800 range to get a bracelet IMO.

Andromeda, where did you purchase from if you don't mind me asking?

I just realized you have the 36mm oyster as well, Pretty sure mines 34 that would explain the price difference. If I had $100k right now though, I'd start flipping rolexes, I've had to pass up too many pod deals dude to lack of funds. Hell I know some guy who sold a Rolex oyster precision that only had 1 broken link and e sold it for $220 on Craigslist. I was bummed I offered him $500 the day after he sold it and he and I both were bummed. There's deals to be had, you just have to look daily. I even have a 32mm Rolex trench watch I bought on eBay for $9 shipped because the caseback wasnt on and the dial was roached. But hell Theres $10 in silver in it. I'm just waiting for my turn to find an old Rolex or Patek in some junk box. Not everyone knows dirt from gems.
Old 4 August 2013, 11:43 PM   #10
fforte393
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
I just realized you have the 36mm oyster as well, Pretty sure mines 34
Yea mine has the 20mm lugs and no lug holes too.